Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Gotcha, thank you Carl.

OSPH: when you quote a spambot, remove the links. I deleted the spambot post. But I also had to delete you post since you quoted the full text of the spambot so the links were still there.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
This post might fall on def ears with the rarity of short pips players but I'll talk about it nonetheless.

I'm ever trying to refine my technique for a better FH with short pips. Unfortunately in the past, I've played a lot of inverted so my technique is probably somewhere in the middle. I clearly feel & play better with SPs. That being said, I'm always looking to develop that speed & power by trying to get more slappy or straight lined type of stroke.

I couldn't help but notice that Wang Zengyi appears to execute his stroke differently from other penhold SP players i follow. In this video, he even seems to mimic (although I can't confirm this because I have no idea what he is saying) not not use as much body or extra twisting motion and more so rather an elbow only snap.

Then you watch other penholders. Lets take Tin Tin ho for example. Her technique is completely opposite and I would even suggest what he seemed to be saying not to do. You only need to get 4 seconds into this video to see what i mean.

I guess it goes to show everybody has their own way of what works for them but if anybody has some thoughts on this, I'm all ears.

For the record, I've seen plenty of Hi Zhi Wen as another example and he certainly uses more full arm motion on his FH than Wang Zengi. I did try Wang's technique last Sunday vs my training partner and he said the ball was coming in fast and it was amazing how much more he had to spin it to compensate for that flat lack of spin shot but I will admit it felt kinda weird for me.

thx.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
This post might fall on def ears with the rarity of short pips players but I'll talk about it nonetheless.

I'm ever trying to refine my technique for a better FH with short pips. Unfortunately in the past, I've played a lot of inverted so my technique is probably somewhere in the middle. I clearly feel & play better with SPs. That being said, I'm always looking to develop that speed & power by trying to get more slappy or straight lined type of stroke.

I couldn't help but notice that Wang Zengyi appears to execute his stroke differently from other penhold SP players i follow. In this video, he even seems to mimic (although I can't confirm this because I have no idea what he is saying) not not use as much body or extra twisting motion and more so rather an elbow only snap.

Then you watch other penholders. Lets take Tin Tin ho for example. Her technique is completely opposite and I would even suggest what he seemed to be saying not to do. You only need to get 4 seconds into this video to see what i mean.

I guess it goes to show everybody has their own way of what works for them but if anybody has some thoughts on this, I'm all ears.

For the record, I've seen plenty of Hi Zhi Wen as another example and he certainly uses more full arm motion on his FH than Wang Zengi. I did try Wang's technique last Sunday vs my training partner and he said the ball was coming in fast and it was amazing how much more he had to spin it to compensate for that flat lack of spin shot but I will admit it felt kinda weird for me.

thx.

The grand slam winner LGL runs a long lesson on penhold SP. Although he speaks Mandarin you can still watch all his slow motion.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Nice vid, thanks for posting mky!

Sun Chen showing how to play RPB.

At 1:45-1:46 is my 'challenge' - in a drill context I will get fixated on the RPB that I don't adapt to the ball when it's on my FH side. Actually same thing happens to me sometimes during gameplay.

I suspect that tin tin's technique, although I think it looks terrible, is designed to give a lot of precision with minimal spin. Thus she generates a hell of a lot more spin on her backhand, which must be a nightmare to play against.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello, penhold players...
can I get some opinions and advice of what I need to correct in my game?
I have no formal training .. thank you very much :D

Saw a few nice things.

I think as you progress and work on your techinque, you & your partner will get better and doing your practice with a little more pace & speed.

Like that you're trying to be active & light on your feet moving with your forehand. I see you working try to practice shifting your weight. But it seemed at lot of times you started to shift or turn the corner and your partner put the ball too wide for your FH and you had to really reach to try to get the ball. Just be careful about turning the corner too early when it comes time for an actual match. I'm a big believe the future of Penhold will require more penholders to be willing to play slightly more middle of the table and play that RPB vs playing risky and turning the corner so much leaving a wide FH open. See what happens to Xu Xin all the time now.

So while I'll never fault someone for trying to practice getting more spin, I saw many, many high level players at our local tournament this last weekend kill high balls with speed/power shots and spin low balls when appropriate. So if a ball is low (ie - below the net or you're well off the table) sure spin it up. Give us a good loop. But if you're up on the table and the ball is high, why are you trying to spin it up & loop over it? Just drive that ball and kill it with speed. See the shot you missed at 1:26 in the video. That contact point was basically by your chest. You don't really need to pick that ball up IMO. Looked like your were trying to scoop over it with the same stroke you'd use as if the ball was below your waist. Just come though the ball more forward with speed. I see you're working on your loop. But IMO need to have a counter drive stroke in your game as well. Got to have both strokes and they're certainly different.

One final tip

Take a look at this review TTD did where they were working with Xu Xin and go to the 1:27 mark.

See the counter hitting Xu & Dan are doing close to the table? IMO you need to have this added to your game. Try doing this simple warm-up with your partner. Try to do it with solid pace & consistency.

Then notice when Xu backs off the table. From there you see him start to loop more. Lastly, notice his weight transfer from his left to right. You're definitely trying this also. But a lot of times your feet are in the air mid shuffle when you're doing your stroke and i can't help but feel you're losing power doing this. Xu keeps his feet on the ground. "Power from the ground" Shuffle, continue weight transfer but try to keep your feet more planted.

Just my impressions. Good stuff. Keep practicing.

Saw a few nice things.

I think as you progress and work on your techinque, you & your partner will get better and doing your practice with a little more pace & speed.

Like that you're trying to be active & light on your feet moving with your forehand. I see you working try to practice shifting your weight. But it seemed at lot of times you started to shift or turn the corner and your partner put the ball too wide for your FH and you had to really reach to try to get the ball. Just be careful about turning the corner too early when it comes time for an actual match. I'm a big believe the future of Penhold will require more penholders to be willing to play slightly more middle of the table and play that RPB vs playing risky and turning the corner so much leaving a wide FH open. See what happens to Xu Xin all the time now.

So while I'll never fault someone for trying to practice getting more spin, I saw many, many high level players at our local tournament this last weekend kill high balls with speed/power shots and spin low balls when appropriate. So if a ball is low (ie - below the net or you're well off the table) sure spin it up. Give us a good loop. But if you're up on the table and the ball is high, why are you trying to spin it up & loop over it? Just drive that ball and kill it with speed. See the shot you missed at 1:26 in the video. That contact point was basically by your chest. You don't really need to pick that ball up IMO. Looked like your were trying to scoop over it with the same stroke you'd use as if the ball was below your waist. Just come though the ball more forward with speed. I see you're working on your loop. But IMO need to have a counter drive stroke in your game as well. Got to have both strokes and they're certainly different.

One final tip

Take a look at this review TTD did where they were working with Xu Xin and go to the 1:27 mark.

See the counter hitting Xu & Dan are doing close to the table? IMO you need to have this added to your game. Try doing this simple warm-up with your partner. Try to do it with solid pace & consistency.

Then notice when Xu backs off the table. From there you see him start to loop more. Lastly, notice his weight transfer from his left to right. You're definitely trying this also. But a lot of times your feet are in the air mid shuffle when you're doing your stroke and i can't help but feel you're losing power doing this. Xu keeps his feet on the ground. "Power from the ground" Shuffle, continue weight transfer but try to keep your feet more planted.

Just my impressions. Good stuff. Keep practicing.
Indeed I am trying to transfer weight and generate power with my right leg (I am using Zhang Jike's vids as example).. I will definitely try what you said..
do you have comments for my rpb? so far every comments I receive is for my fh.. XD it must have been awful to watch.. sorry about that..
once again I thank you for your time and feedback :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Nope nothing on your RPB. I thought it was nice. Good use of arm & wrist. Some people don't get enough whip in it with too little wrist. Some are too wristy. I think you're on the right track there. Just be sure to practice all forms of it. Saw you countering topspin and that was nice.

But practice the RPB block. Practice it looping backspin for those cases when you cant round around a ball to loop backspin with your FH. Practice it short over the table on service receive. ie - flip. etc.

Last edited:
Nope nothing on your RPB. I thought it was nice. Good use of arm & wrist. Some people don't get enough whip in it with too little wrist. Some are too wristy. I think you're on the right track there. Just be sure to practice all forms of it. Saw you countering topspin and that was nice.

But practice the RPB block. Practice it looping backspin for those cases when you cant round around a ball to loop backspin with your FH. Practice it short over the table on service receive. ie - flip. etc.

Ok, actually I'm trying to use rpb block this few days and getting good results as well..
There are just times that I tend to react on using rpb instead of fh .. leading me to doubt my fh and rely on my rpb more which I believe is bad...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Then you yourself should be able to see the differences in form when you compare your game to the video ...
I do.. I based how my fingers for rpb should be like on Wang Hao...
although I would love to follow Zhang Jike's bh blocking and placement strategy.. its just so beautiful in my eyes hahaha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Not at all .. the point I am trying to make is since you don't have access to a coach you have to work on your own skill to analyze, understand , feel and fix what is going wrong with your stroke ... its good that you are making videos , it will help you in that process .. you are always welcome to ask for opinions but then not all opinions may or may not be right, or may or may not be right for you ... so you need to develop your filter and understanding .... at the end of the day this is a very complicated and technical sport ... its very very difficult to improve without a coach .... and most of us in the forum are not certified coaches ....
yes.. thank you.. I hope I didn't offend you on something.. I look forward for your opinion next time :)