Kashumi ishikawa cramp, no timeout allowed

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
So in their FB page 8 hours ago ittf posted this

13925687_1441788995851099_8020171663414383509_o.jpg

with the caption "The world learned today that in #TableTennis you can't have an injury time out when you have a cramp!"

Really? A player works his/her butt off for so many years to peak performance for 10 days in the most prestigious tournament and he/she is not allowed to have an injury timeout?

I am aware that some players maybe fake an "injury" to cool things down if the rule was different . But still it seems unfair to me regardless kishikawa losing /winning the game. LSW was certainly affected in the wttc final but in the end, the game was in her hands and she let it slip away more than ding ning actually won it

My point is that an injury fake or not is not decisive enough to win the game there are many factors. Of course im not talking about serious injuries that force you to stop, there is always sharath kamal achanta example who had much more serious injury than ding ning and still managed to beat simon gauzy in wttc

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I think a cramp is considered a conditioning issue and not an injury - at least that is what I recall from tennis. Years ago Michael Chang was playing Ivan Lendl in the French Open and he began to cramp and could not take an injury time out and had to serve underhand - he won the match.

Reactions: BeGo