Life, Existence, and the Meaning of Long Pips - The Opus Maximus of James Z

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
Spin capability of the rubber topsheet (forget about the sponge for now) mainly depends on its surface grip (material property of the rubber) and its contact area with the ball during contact (depends on rubber geometry).

So grippy inverted rubbers would have the highest spin capability because of its grip and it provides maximum contact area, whereas "frictionless" long pimples would have the lowest spin generation ability. Short pimples and antispin are in between those, SP has smaller contact area than inverted, anti has less grip than normal inverted, so it depends on the particular design.

says Win by Spin!
says Win by Spin!
Aug 2022
Read 3 reviews
A little bit more about the antis, they have two types, the low-friction and the frictionless. The low-friction one gives a dead ball back and are able to generate some spin on its own if chopped well. The frictionless anti usually reverses the spin (especially if used on stiff and hard blade). You can also create some spin with that, but that is highly dependent on what spin you receive from the opponent. Just mentioned as additional information.

Apart from those, hclnnkhg is right. It depends on the surface grip, but also the hardness of the sponge. Softer sponges are easier to generate spin, especially if it has high grip. Usually the thinner and quicker the brush with the ball, the higher the spin will be.

This user has no status.
Don't think it matters :) In my honest opinion I am convinced that people with pibs / anti don't know how to play and need those rubbers to turn their disadvantages into advantages. For example, lots of players have pibs / anti on their backhand because they don't have a backhand or are unable to learn it. An analogy would be someone not knowing how to drive a car, so they have a tesla drive for them. Now I know I will get a lot of hate for this post but thats just my opinion. I personally love playing people with those rubbers because I know how to abuse them. And to back my point, if I am not mistaken, there isn't a single player in the top 100, maybe even top 150 that uses anything other than inverted rubbers.

Edit: Excluding choppers, that is just a defensive playstyle.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Luka Mladenovich was so nice as to show off with his "magic" anti. Yes, the red rubber is capable of absorbing rotation impulse to a certain degree. Yet, it has traction a lot. Absolutely frictionless rubber is an old granny tales. Yes, we checked out this all in accordance to ASTM D1894-14 testing procedure, dragging a standard weight across rubber surface.
Mladenovich Luka forhand rubber 2023.jpg Mladenovich Luka backhand rubber 2023.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ander999
says Looking for Frame
And to back my point, if I am not mistaken, there isn't a single player in the top 100, maybe even top 150 that uses anything other than inverted rubbers.

Edit: Excluding choppers, that is just a defensive playstyle.

?????
Mima Ito?
Manika Batra
Just the first 2 that pop in my mind. There are many more.

says Looking for Frame
No I can not. I know there is a lady with long pips and sponge but not her name.
But I don't have to name more as the reply was.

there isn't a single player in the top 100, maybe even top 150 that uses anything other than inverted rubbers.

I named 2. That's enough. I don't know all the players in the top 100 and their equipment, and why would i name 15 or 25 years ago. Not gonna bother for that.

I know why you are here and posting these lp posts, but i'm not going into that. I just replied to him

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
"Bastard" sponge is attached to Mercury 2., the rubber has never been in LARK list. Fraudulent product is how ITTF denotes all the unapproved sponges Chinese used to market a lot. Bastard sponge is the unseemly trick by Chinese to not pay approval fees.

• Angry
Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
ITTF only approves the top sheet in different colors. You could use any sponge you want with an OX top sheet. One approved top sheet could have different properties if used with different sponges, creating a new product. An example is the 729 Battle rubber which is totally untacky. The top sheet has the same number as the 729 Battle MAX Pro which is super tacky. 729 had to apply for this to be allowed, but these things are possible too... :)

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Your argument makes sense to some extent. Actually, even for professional players, it is very common to have one wing stronger than the other. Both J. O. Waldner and Ma Long are quick examples. Considering that there are asymmetric blades there in the market, it is surprising to see so few players use them.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
IT IS SOME HEAD ACHE FOR MANUFACTURER TO KEEP UP UNIFORMITY OF PIMPLES.
A time ago, sore mishap occured to the Butterfly Impartial short pimps when ITTF seized substandard pimps on market. This all came from the inaccurate production process that caused improper pimples geometry measured < 1 mm by height. Minimum legal size of the piples-out is required to be 1 millimeter by height. Some later time, Butterfly re-launched Impartial rubber under different trade name.

Impartial_BANNED.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Too many unstated assumptions:

1. Faster blades only help the stronger side and not the weaker side.
2. Unequal skills in using forehand and backhand mean that unequal speed surfaces should support backhand and forehand.
3. People would play better using something other than inverted looping rubber if they do not loop.

There are many other assumptions which are quite questionable, but these are just 3.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
You are just focused on one parameter > Speed.
I am not saying speed or spin is only valid for one side.
Every player is dffferent.
Speed is not the only parameter that determines a blade composition on either side. Spin & control & player style (on that side) etc are also other contributing parameters..
If you take a choppers blade for example. they may want to maximize back spin capabilty as the dominant parameter. The same chopper could have very different styles on forehand such as chop & loop or just loop or just lob or just counter loop or (s)he could be a short pips hitter on the forehand. Every such style needs a different layer composition on that side
All I am asaying is that for amateur players the probabilty of different playing style, different levels of consistency etc etc is much higher for an amateur player than a pro player.
Also, speed is generally the dominant parameter for a strongside short pips hitter.
As for as top spinning there can be power loopers, there can be soft loopers etc.
Add to it blocking styles & chopping styles.
The combinations are just endless.
Also why on earth would I say that players should only be looping both sides ? In fact what I am saying is sort of quite the opposite. The probabilty of a player being a two winged looper is much smaller than most players convince them to be. This is what I meant being in denial. Obviously when you are only focused on trashing me every chance you get , of course all these facts do not matter to you.

So what are you saying in the final analysis ? More amateurs than not have equal & same style forehands & backhands ?
I am just pointing our that there are a lot of assumptions. I focused on ths speed of the blade because it is what asymmetry directly influences. But my main point is that some people better understand how ro balaban d out asymmetry by starting with symmetry I just think there is a lot of data you need to collect yo make your argument fully tenable that you are replacing with assumptions that are being interpreted in ways that support your conclusion.