Looking for advice (mainly on equipment)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Well i think we got to the bottom of it , i will go for the stratus power (unless i can find a really good price on nitakku or osp) and rakza 7 on FB and soft on BH.

Regarding the technique i know it sucks , i will work on that as much as i can.

Thank you all for the help and suggestion , especially upsidedownCarl !

This user has no status.
Dont know the blade well enough, but a tip regarding Rakza rubbers.
Rakza 7 is faster than rakza 7 soft.
If you need the touch of rakza 7 soft, fo be it, but Id go with the rakza 7 on both sides. Sure, eventually the differences evens out... But thats a few moths of playing.. I felt a real difference in speed in favour of the rakza 7.

Dont bother with the rakza 9. The extra speed is not there, its heavier and less spinny.

Hope that helps. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Dont know the blade well enough, but a tip regarding Rakza rubbers.
Rakza 7 is faster than rakza 7 soft.
If you need the touch of rakza 7 soft, fo be it, but Id go with the rakza 7 on both sides. Sure, eventually the differences evens out... But thats a few moths of playing.. I felt a real difference in speed in favour of the rakza 7.

Dont bother with the rakza 9. The extra speed is not there, its heavier and less spinny.

Hope that helps. :)

how much slower the soft is ? and how noticeable the more control from the soft it ?

This user has no status.
To me, the Rakza 7 is just as good in spin as the soft one. Speed difference is just enough that you notice it. You will feel something missing in speed with the soft if you get one of each.. I have a blade set up that way. As time goes by, the soft stiffens up a bit and the difference is not as apparent as in the beguinning.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One thing to remember, that part of your inquiry was about feeling the ball better. With softer rubbers it is easier to feel the ball. Despite the difference in speed, which you will always have between rubbers that are the harder and softer versions of the same rubber, I would think about getting SOFT for both sides. Unless your priority about feeling has changed.

Reactions: Liten
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
There are better players than me commenting above on nuances of blade composition, coating, and handle geometry - but...

Wouldn't you want to do something about your FH technique first? Your wrist, elbow, and shoulder appear to be LOCKED, so you are pretty much rotating as a solid body to hit the ball(and appear to spend a lot of energy doing so). Do you have a coach at your club?

Ah... your eyes are better now ;).

Reactions: pgpg
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ah... your eyes are better now ;).

pgpg's question was a good one. And pretty on point. But since JekaE's question is about a setup that helps him feel and he was open to the idea of a setup that would actually be good for his development, I would say that is a big first step.

Those same videos could also be used to help him improve his technique and get more with much less wasted energy.

But I think it is a pretty decent step to want something good for him instead of the standard fast hard blade that gets so many people at that level wasting their money.

However, JekaE has soooooooo many questions it is pretty crazy. Kind of like one of those gerbils on the wheel. The wheel just doesn't stop spinning. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
long story short , i have an OSP v+ on its way to me.
However i still cant decide if i should go with Rakza 7 soft on BH and Regular on FH or go for soft on both sides. (or maybe even go for regular for both sides).

p.s i was able to try few more blades (TB zlc with tenergy 65 and 80) , and some andru blade with rakza 7 soft on both sides , both was nice feeling wise , way better than what i have now any way , in both cases it just seems easier to hit the table.

Another thing that left me hanging is the sponge thickness , there is 1.8 / 2.0 /max , which one should i go for and what is really the difference ?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
long story short , i have an OSP v+ on its way to me.
However i still cant decide if i should go with Rakza 7 soft on BH and Regular on FH or go for soft on both sides. (or maybe even go for regular for both sides).

p.s i was able to try few more blades (TB zlc with tenergy 65 and 80) , and some andru blade with rakza 7 soft on both sides , both was nice feeling wise , way better than what i have now any way , in both cases it just seems easier to hit the table.

Another thing that left me hanging is the sponge thickness , there is 1.8 / 2.0 /max , which one should i go for and what is really the difference ?

All these questions are cool but they are not as important as many hours you spend training. It's really sad sometimes when I see someone spend so much time on equipment and their technique is still not advanced.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
To answer your question anyways, get 1.9/2.0 to 2.1/Max. Any of the rubbers is fine, though players with consistently harder strokes prefer harder sponges. I would go with Rakza 7 both sides but if I had weight concerns or simply wanted to slow down my swing, I would try the soft.

Sponge thickness is really about how much spin you can get as you swing harder. It's a small difference but it can impact some people differently. The same with sponge hardness. You can swing harder and get spin as the sponges get harder. The tradeoff is that when you swing a lower or just use the topsheet on slower balls, you spin and liner control may be less. Most people fix this with practice and adaptation.

I have found over time that I can adapt to just about any equipment and that I should waste less time thinking about it and just play with what I like. Equipment is more like cars and clothes and foods than it is like science. More expensive doesn't mean better. It is really about just playing with it, developing a taste for it and adapting to it.

Most players tend to review equipment on the basis of doing lower level stuff like looping. They rarely tend to work on the higher level things like short pushing and blocking or looping backspin. But these are the things that one needs to master to get to a high level.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
All these questions are cool but they are not as important as many hours you spend training. It's really sad sometimes when I see someone spend so much time on equipment and their technique is still not advanced.

I do understand that , but there are couple of things to keep in mind.
For me personally its a hobby , a hobby i like very much but still a hobby , i just dont have the time or the chance to play as much as i would like to , I usually have 3 sessions a week each session is 2 hours , however only 1 of them is with a coach and 2 of them is just club members playing against each other (most of them are 45+ who only come to play for fun and dont care about technique...)
The rest of the time i work as a software engineer and i have a 6 months old baby , so iam just trying to make the best of what i can.
And since i have some spare time at work and a computer is always available to me i rather spend some time on theory than not to spend it at all...

back to the subject , i still dont understand the key difference between the soft and the normal one.
bottom line iam looking for what ever will help me the most in improving my technique while still being able to play and have some fun and not to sacrifice the competitive nature of this sport.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is the thing to understand: All of your choices would be fine. R7 FH/ R7 Soft BH, R7 both sides, R7 soft both sides; 2.0/Max;

All choices would work and be fine. I have 2 friends who are pros who uses soft rubbers even though they hit very hard and they get great results. I have another friend who is a tennis player and plays table tennis and he hits as hard as anyone I know and he uses and likes T05fx on both sides. In other words, he hits very hard but uses soft rubber. Soft or hard is a personal choice.

But soft actually makes it so your technique does not have to be as precise, soft also helps you feel the ball better and soft helps you refine your technique up to a certain level.

That being said, there are real benefits to harder. It is what MOST higher level players use because as you have bigger impact, you get more from the rubber.

Now the thing about your technique is: you swing pretty hard. But your technique is pretty sloppy. You definitely have enough impact to use a harder rubber and be fine. I just have a feeling that the softer rubber will help you feel how to get the ball to sink into the sponge without sinking the ball too far into the sponge.

In general softer rubbers allow you to feel more. And are better for when someone's technique needs more precision and more refining. I mentioned 3 players who use soft sponge who are clearly not in that category as they are quite high level players. But most players at that level choose harder. However, for refining technique, a softer sponge helps you more.

If I was you, I would choose any of the combinations listed above and not turn back because they all will work and work well for you. And I would use Max thickness and focus on learning to spin better.

Said in another way, write R7 and R7S on a cue card and have someone blindfolded throw darts until two darts hit cue cards. If 2 darts hit R7 get it. If 2 darts hit R7S get that. If one hits each, get one of each. Any of those choices will BE FINE for you. Choose one and get on with it.

Last piece of info. Even though a blade like TB ZLC does feel good, ESPECIALLY when you are blasting the ball, it would hinder your progress because of the speed and the carbon. You have plenty of power yourself. You need to refine your control, you need to learn to transfer power into the ball better, and you need to learn to spin the ball better. And a blade like the TB ZLC, and the addiction to speed that goes with it, would slow your development of heavy spin a lot more than you can realize.

Last edited:
Reactions: JekaE
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Thanks a-lot Carl , you really got to the bottom of it.

p.s keep doing what you do , its really amazing , putting the time and effort to teach others is really some thing that iam sure every body on the forum appreciate more than you think.

Also thanks to every body who helped here.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One more thing to understand, with any new setup, it will take a few weeks, or at least a few training sessions for your technique to adjust to the new equipment. Regardless of which blade and rubbers you get, (right now you are only trying to decide on rubbers because, it seems you chose a good blade) you will adjust to them--your nervous system, your muscle memory, your touch and feel, your contact, your impact--will adjust to the new equipment and it will be good for you. That would happen with a TB ZLC too. But the TB ZLC would not be as good for you developing YOUR technique as the blade you chose will be. Even if the TB ZLC, in some way feels better. The Virtuoso Plus will provide you with more of the feedback you need to refine your contact and touch.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There may be a point where the TB ALC is actually good for you. Many of the highest level players in the world use blades like the TB ALC or the Viscaria. But very few at that high use a blade like the TB ZLC. Think about it. The players in the top 10 in the World do not use a blade as hard or as fast as the TB ZLC even though it feels very good when you are looping. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
yea well it really doesnt matter as i already purchased the OSP V+ and its already on its way to me.

So blade wise iam done :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You would be surprised. I can't tell you how many friends I have whose technique is nowhere near as good as mine, whose blade is way faster than mine, who simply don't get why they should actually be using a slower blade. And I can't tell you how many players I know who needed a blade like the one you ordered and play with it for a while and then they try something faster and think, "now I am ready for this," and the development of their technique suffers as a result.

You made a fantastic choice for the blade.

OSP blades do play weird for the first few sessions and then they break in. You should know that. But they are amazing blades. I would just stick to that blade for the next few years. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
You would be surprised. I can't tell you how many friends I have whose technique is nowhere near as good as mine, whose blade is way faster than mine, who simply don't get why they should actually be using a slower blade. And I can't tell you how many players I know who needed a blade like the one you ordered and play with it for a while and then they try something faster and think, "now I am ready for this," and the development of their technique suffers as a result.

OSP blades do play weird for the first few sessions and then they break in. You should know that. But they are amazing blades. I would just stick to that blade for the next few years. :)

I don't know if anyone could say V+ is too slow for them. My loops still go fast enough with it.

As for the rubber, Rakza 7 plays really nice with V+. It feels crisp with good speed and spin ratio. I could slow loop, fast loop, punch and do most of things with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015

I'm always intrigued by statements like this - somehow it is the solid wood shielded by pretty thick rubber/sponge sandwich that changed after being hit few times by 2.7 g plastic ball - not the player adapting to new blade/rubber combo. And OSP blades are even more unique and special in this aspect? Riiight...

I'm beginning to suspect that there is something off in Goon Squad diet or their Spy Phones operate on some harmful frequency...

:)