looking for non-bouncy grippy cheap rubbers

says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
Last Friday I was in conversation with someone at my club, 76 years old friend, and he doesn't like all the bouncy thick rubbers. So I suggested I will ask around.
He plays short at the table and like to play with under- and sidespin, (too much, thats why I never win from him :-D ) and he likes to place the ball on every corner on the table.
He mentioned 1.7mm as max thickness
Are there chinese thin rubbers for around $ 15 per side, with good control and not too bouncy?
I glued some Xiom Vega Intro 2.0 on a primorac and I thought that's also reasonably not bounce, lot of control. But pricewise it's not maybe too expensive for a pensionado/retiree.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
I've just glued several sheets of Sanwei Au Golden recently.
I've got a Inner-ALC blade with it as BH rubber and glued it to some generic GEWO All+ blade as replacement for the rubbers of a GEWO premade racket.

Rubber has lots of control and feels not too bouncy, atleast not to me. It only comes in one thickness as far as I have seen which seems close to MAX. Surely thinner options might be less bouncy, but I reckon if you buy an ALL(+) with it the setup should be very controlled and not too bouncy. The price for the rubbers ranges from 12 to 15 euros on AliExpress.

Reactions: riemsesy
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Mercury 2 - less than 10 dollars, while grippy, sticky rubber is not fast, but if you need to speed it up, you can use a booster - it responds well. In terms of thickness, I’m not sure that there is 1.7, it seems to be 1.8 mm, but due to the low speed, this should be what is needed. The Mercury 2 is surprisingly good for such a low price.
Moxa Technology sponge is soft and worked like a trampoline and I could not play with it at all.............

• Wow
Reactions: ShoutGuy
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Mercury 2 is very sticky, so even with a very living sponge, which Mercury 2 does not have, there cannot be a trampoline.
In addition, there are three sponge hardnesses - soft, medium and hard. Which version did you play?
the cheapest one, at that time they were selling $ 8 for two. Don't know the hardness but it was the Moxa sponge and it was as bouncy as a trampoline.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Previously there were three versions -soft, med, hard. This is a photo of the description of Mercury2, which is no longer on sale. Apparently the hard version was not in demand, so it is no longer available. At least I never played hard and never ordered amateurs.
Regarding the supersoft version, I suspect that this is the soft on the booster :)View attachment 28092
It is the hard, non bouncy version i would have recommend to the OP. The soft and medium version i would not recommend

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
The whole KTL lineup fits that description very well. It is a sub-brand of Friendship "designed for the European game". They left out the whole catapult part, though ;). The ones I have tried from the "Rapid"-Series were non-tacky, pretty grippy and had almost no catapult to them. Very good cost / performance ratio, too.

In your profile it says you are based in the Netherlands, so you could order them from here at a pretty good price: https://ttdd.eu/belage/noppen-innen/ktl.html

Reactions: riemsesy
says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
The whole KTL lineup fits that description very well. It is a sub-brand of Friendship "designed for the European game". They left out the whole catapult part, though ;). The ones I have tried from the "Rapid"-Series were non-tacky, pretty grippy and had almost no catapult to them. Very good cost / performance ratio, too.

In your profile it says you are based in the Netherlands, so you could order them from here at a pretty good price: https://ttdd.eu/belage/noppen-innen/ktl.html
tnx! Danke Schön!
which rapid rubber can you empfehl ;-)
1705392100670.png

Reactions: Bruschk0v
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
tnx! Danke Schön!
which rapid rubber can you empfehl ;-)
View attachment 28098

I think the rubbers mainly differ in sponge hardness, so it depends a bit on the level of the player. The Speed / Spin / Control Values on https://ttdd.eu/belage/noppen-innen/ktl.html give a pretty good indication.

Personally I play with KTL Rapid Speed 2.0 on BH, as it hits that sweet spot between Sponge Hardness and Grip for me. Completely unspectacular but reliable and solid rubber.

On the Shop site it says the "Rapid Soft" is especially popular with beginners and youth players.