Need advise: Broke my blade from my handle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I know how to spin the ball, I love chopping and side spins. Atm my weakness is I can't block hard slams. I have slow reactions. Been playing tt for 3 years now

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hahaha. When my practice partners told me that I didn't spin the ball (and by the way, I was a USATT 1700+ player who knew how to loop backspin consistently when they said this), I protested that I spun the ball. But even 6 months later, I understood what they meant.

So trust me, you have absolutely no clue what real spin is. It's a little unfortunate that with these new balls, people don't see the effect of raw spin, but in any case...

This is spinning the ball. That's a slow high ball and Ma Long wants no part of it:

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. Spinning the ball. Sometimes when a coach is getting a player to loop and some of the loops don't have enough spin, the coach will say to the player: "Spin the ball!" Or in training or a match when a player hits a loop that he feels doesn't have enough spin, he will say: "Spin the ball!" It has to do with the contact, the dwell time and the way the rubber grabs the ball on acceleration.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
That's a heavy top spin hit, I could do that if the ball is slow enough. Wait till it goes down below the table and hit/brush it back up with alot of power going up. Making 90 degree after u finish

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

That ball is actually not below the table when Boll plays it, though it is on the fall, yes. And just about every loop should finish with something like a 90 degree forearm snap so that is not the point. The real point is how fast your racket is moving and how much brush you get on the ball. That kind of timing and feel for the ball takes time to develop and most players don't have it until they practice enough and realize its value. Sometime like it is happening on EVERY loop in higher level table tennis, not just the ones that drop below table height or the ones that are looped on the fall.

Reactions: changed_23
This user has no status.
I could not estimate your rating. But one thing you have going for you: at least you know what you are not doing. :) Your friends are correct about how to improve that: keep practicing.

One thing that could help increase your spin, would be multball vs heavy backspin. If you do it for both sides, both sides will get better.

[Edit: even with a video it is kind of hard to tell someone's level. But a video helps a lot more than descriptions. I know guys who are 2000 who slap the ball and don't spin. But they won't get too much higher and their technique is not so good.]

Kinocchio, sorry that your thread has been derailed. I hope you don't mind that I answered these guys questions.

I am glad your blade is working. I hope it holds up.

I can try to make a video. I like to be embarraced!
:)

I don't understand what is multball vs veavy backspin. Language barrier!!

I'm sorry Kinocchio. I'll open a thread when i make the video.

Reactions: changed_23
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Nobody will look at the video that way. You won't be embarrassed. Probably some guys who know what they are doing will give you help on improving. NextLevel has helped my game a lot that way. I'm the one who should be embarrassed, with my big mouth like I know what I'm talking about. LOL.

Multiball vs Heavy Backspin: you know what multiball is, right? Someone feeds you one ball after the other from a bucket. You hit the ball but he doesn't wait for your return, he just hits the next one from the bucket.

So, multiball, all heavy backspin. You know what backspin is, right. So heavy would be A Lot of backspin. So each feed of multiball would be heavy backspin. So you are hitting vs multiball heavy backspin.

You could also use a robot and set it to feed you heavy backspin and loop that over and over. As long as you get a lot of reps, a lot of repetitions, looping backspin, it will help you increase your spin when you face topspin too.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I don't have a table at home, so I made a similar wheel to this:
http://www.teessport.com/images/products/zoom/1203338950-50044700.jpg
I made from a little lesser wheel and use with some 'hobby player' racket.
It's perfect for practice the contact. My coach always tell me to hit the ball at the top as much as you can in topspin vs topspin drills and if the shot has a cracking sound, it's bad, because the louder shot indicates the more hit than brush.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I don't have a table at home, so I made a similar wheel to this:
http://www.teessport.com/images/products/zoom/1203338950-50044700.jpg
I made from a little lesser wheel and use with some 'hobby player' racket.
It's perfect for practice the contact. My coach always tell me to hit the ball at the top as much as you can in topspin vs topspin drills and if the shot has a cracking sound, it's bad, because the louder shot indicates the hit.

With the plastic ball and even before, sometimes, you have to hit into the ball more - the pros sometimes make a cracking sound. It's just that there is a feel of spinning that you have to find and once you find it, it can sometimes feel like you are cracking into the ball when driving it, but the motion is the same as if you are brushing - it is just the contact depth that is different. But you can over hit, and of course sometimes, you can over spin. It's just that when you are a beginner, you tend to over hit more than over spin.

Reactions: Rajah*
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Very few people under 1500 understand what I mean when I say "learn how to spin the ball." If you could spin the ball the way I am talking about, you would not be under 1500-1600. So, let's assume I am talking about something different.

But I know NextLevel knows how to spin the ball.

And I definitely am not talking about chopping. Nothing wrong with chopping. But I don't mean that. I mean topspin with a giant arc and a massive kick that would explode off the rubber and hit the ceiling if a 1200 level player tried to block or counter it.

In before Next Level sez "But Carl, I LOVE to put heavy topspin on the ball"

To be fair to the lad, in today's tourney, I lost to a 2000+ player who totally took off my heavy topspin making it look heavy chop each time. What a control of hand he has. Some of the lower rated players did me in on many points with soft handed not so spinny stuff too. Luckily, I prevailed, but I lost more points than I shoulda.

I say that to say that at U2000 level, which he very likely certainly is, he can go places with a lot of spin.

But you are right, it takes a lot of understanding and execution in a LOT of areas to move to that level. CERTAINLY, making heavy topspin is a good friend to have, but you can do it with out that if other areas are real strong.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
In before Next Level sez "But Carl, I LOVE to put heavy topspin on the ball"

To be fair to the lad, in today's tourney, I lost to a 2000+ player who totally took off my heavy topspin making it look heavy chop each time. What a control of hand he has. Some of the lower rated players did me in on many points with soft handed not so spinny stuff too. Luckily, I prevailed, but I lost more points than I shoulda.

I say that to say that at U2000 level, which he very likely certainly is, he can go places with a lot of spin.

But you are right, it takes a lot of understanding and execution in a LOT of areas to move to that level. CERTAINLY, making heavy topspin is a good friend to have, but you can do it with out that if other areas are real strong.

What was the guy who beat you's name?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Kevin Zhou is hte first match I lost 3 nets 5th game, cant remember name of chopper who charmed me into dumbass-itis with floats... Guess I will find out when the ratings get processed in 2019...

Maybe if you look on HC TTC's website in a couple days you will see a pic of him with Asgaralli who defeated him 3-2 to win the Open.

I lost 4 matches and every one of them burned.

I gotta think about how many matches I won. I think I lost once in each of the prelims in U2000 and Open with 5 and 6 player group, so prolly went 9-2 in group and 1-2 in crossovers. Maybe finished 10-4 I dunno. I think I lost points but whatever, I gotta get better and then do better in these east coast tourneys.

I went only about as far as I was expected given my level, I had hoped for better, but I should concern myself with actually getting better if I want better results.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Please start your own discussion, this thread is being disrespect...????

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've played with it already 2 times. Everything seems fine. I think I got lucky with it.

Can you put a photo of the fixed blade so we can see where and how it broke?

Reactions: Kokain
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
This thread is being disrespect..........by not showing photos, might as well talk about anything else meanwhile

So I just got Tenergy 64, what's with the overhype of this rubber? Not spinny, not that fast even boosted, sponge is ridiculously easy to get damaged, and worst of all I just realized this is very old rubber now. It came around the era of speed glue ban, so it's only the small pores sponge. Hmm, I will keep testing it for a while but probably not going back to it once it disintegrates.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
@Kokain: You are very rude. If it is too difficult for you to open a new thread. Then go ahead. There are lazy people and stupid people. You must be a hybrid of this two.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
@upsidedowncarl: I like your style. You are the only one that is aware that this thread is getting off topic. And actually says sorry for that. There is no need for me to post picture anymore, as the majoriy is using this thread for own purpose.