Need Recommendation and suggestion for someone new to sport!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Apologies then.
I feel mid30s is too old to strat, well initially, since the players I see are younger and faster. People older than me,there are a lot, but they have been playing continuously since they are in their 20s.

Would you recommend any? for someone new to sport after 12yrs since past time playingof table tennis
I began TT in my 40s and made it to a level maybe 10% or less get to... so it is entirely possible to play to a level that only 30% make.... and I suspect your C+ level is a level 80% of players make.

Certainly possible, even if starting out from zero.

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Isn't stiga infinity (tho a 5ply) is a fast blade? maybe faster than tibhar SPW And the M1 is a tensor and fast for someone re-entering the sport again
It's not that fast, I've played it with rakza 7 from a friend and it's a lot slower than my stiga intensity. It's medium fast, a nice soft blade with good vibration.

May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Any of the blades can be good? How about rubbers?

I see you are from the same counry. Will check recommendation, as I do not know where to start or cost. OR what quality is really good.

I may take a look at Tibhar Stratus powerwood and yasaka extra offensive, but I think butterfly is costly for such a beginner like myself.

thank you for all your response.! I hope to receive more recommendation and suggestions. thanks!
I have ma lin extra and it's fast and very hard, do not recommend it under any circumstances for a player re entering. Ma lin carbon is slower, and stratus powerwood is just a rocket, also very bad choice...

This user has no status.
I have a dirty secret/ shortcut for you. Since you don't really play BH topspin - there is no point going for inverted rubbers. Put some deceptive long pips on BH (the ideal chopblocking rubber there is) and you would have solved serve receive without needing to acquire serve spin reading skills lol. Just sideswipe and chopblock everything to oblivion, then finish the ball with your FH. Easy non physical way to play. If you have a strong FH serve, FH attack and BH LP defence you will leapfrog in level real fast even over players who have played for decades - they will hate you but you'll be winning so you can just torture them with your long pips and enjoy!

Just buy some Dawei 388d-2 without sponge and put in on your BH - on FH just use any of your existing inverted rubbers.

For fun, I put one on my 7 ply wood blade and I was already doing quite decent with my left hand playing it within just a few sessions. It is not that difficult compared to trying to rebuild a BH topspin from scratch. Now that is a huge undertaking!
I can this instead - to shortcut my progress? This will differ my strokes as well correct

This user has no status.
As the moment, narrowing down on the list (from response and pm), but please feel free to recommend or confirm on the best to use for re-entering the sport.

blade (5ply):
1. sitga OC
2. stiga infinivty vps v
3. tibhar stratus powerwood
4. butterfly petr korbel
5. butterfly primorac
5. yinhe n11s

blade (7ply):
1. yinhe U2
2. dhs pg7
3. dhs pg9
4. yasaka ma lin extra offensive
5. yasaka ma lin carbon
6. yinhe pd437
7. stiga clipper

Rubbers:
1. butterfly rozena
2. donic baracuda
3. donic bluefire m1
4. donic bluefire m2
5. yinhe earth 2
6. yasaka mark V XS
7. yasaka mark V HPS
8. dhs tin arc 3

thanks in advance!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I recommend the Yasaka Sweden Extra and XIOM Vega Intro. BTY Petr Korbel will probably work great but it is a bit more advanced. I have one coming in to me so I'll know how it compares. From my personal experience I don't recommend the Tibhar stratus powerwood. It is way too fast for how flexible it is relatively making it a bit hard to control hard hits. I'm probably going to sell mine one of these days. Don't waste your money on Rozena unless you want the bling and can afford it. Forget about Mark V, it is a 50 year old rubber whose glory days are long gone and is unsuitable for the modern offensive game and plastic ball despite how Mark V cultists try to brainwash newbies into trying it.

Reactions: Equaaz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
As the moment, narrowing down on the list (from response and pm), but please feel free to recommend or confirm on the best to use for re-entering the sport.

blade (5ply):
1. sitga OC
2. stiga infinivty vps v
4. butterfly petr korbel
5. butterfly primorac
5. yinhe n11s

blade (7ply):
1. yinhe U2
2. dhs pg7
3. dhs pg9
5. yasaka ma lin carbon
6. yinhe pd437
7. stiga clipper

Rubbers:
1. butterfly rozena
2. donic baracuda
3. donic bluefire m1
4. donic bluefire m2
5. yinhe earth 2
6. yasaka mark V XS
7. yasaka mark V HPS
8. dhs tin arc 3

thanks in advance!

Are you to purchase both 5ply and 7ply blaces??

If you are re-entering, (own opinion) from the rubber list, only donic baracuda, yinhe earth 2 and dhs tin arc 3 are applicable - control rubbers, but baracuda has control, spin and speed - so better go baracuda

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Are you to purchase both 5ply and 7ply blaces??

If you are re-entering, (own opinion) from the rubber list, only donic baracuda, yinhe earth 2 and dhs tin arc 3 are applicable - control rubbers, but baracuda has control, spin and speed - so better go baracuda
IMG_7711.jpeg

😍😍😍
I have an unopened sheet of Baracuda ready to be bonded in holy matrimony with my Gozo(tm) Avenger Mark III aka The Beast!

This user has no status.
I recommend the Yasaka Sweden Extra and XIOM Vega Intro. BTY Petr Korbel will probably work great but it is a bit more advanced. I have one coming in to me so I'll know how it compares. From my personal experience I don't recommend the Tibhar stratus powerwood. It is way too fast for how flexible it is relatively making it a bit hard to control hard hits. I'm probably going to sell mine one of these days. Don't waste your money on Rozena unless you want the bling and can afford it. Forget about Mark V, it is a 50 year old rubber whose glory days are long gone and is unsuitable for the modern offensive game and plastic ball despite how Mark V cultists try to brainwash newbies into trying it.
do you have alternative for yasaka sweden extra?
I do not see in my local stores. And isnt Xiom ve g intro a tensor rubber?

This user has no status.

blade (5ply):
1. sitga OC
2. stiga infinivty vps v
4. butterfly petr korbel
5. butterfly primorac
5. yinhe n11s

blade (7ply):
1. yinhe U2
2. dhs pg7
3. dhs pg9
5. yasaka ma lin carbon
6. yinhe pd437
7. stiga clipper

Rubbers:
1. butterfly rozena
2. donic baracuda
3. donic bluefire m1
4. donic bluefire m2
5. yinhe earth 2
6. yasaka mark V XS
7. yasaka mark V HPS
8. dhs tin arc 3

thanks in advance!
Hi. Yes I was planning to buy a 5ply blade and a 7ply blade.

Will it be functional ot have both? or just a waste, and go straight to 7ply? I am a returning to sport for 12yrs stop

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Will it be functional ot have both? or just a waste, and go straight to 7ply? I am a returning to sport for 12yrs stop
I would say do not worry too much about which exact blade. Get something all wood in ALL+ to OFF range with a handle you like (or grip tape it to shape you like)... and slap on modern dynamic offensive control oriented soft rubbers or older gen control oriented offensive rubbers and go back to battle.

The setup in my sig can be played by both beginners and advnaced players well. I paid blademaker @CCBladecraft $20 to make some fatter handles for my Donic Persson Power Play (a $27 USD blade after discount from tabletennis11.com)... I use Aurus and Aurus soft for my rubbers - they last forever and I can do everything well with them.

My total setup cost is around the price of one sheet or premium rubber.

Blade $47 (27 +20)
Rubbers $29 each

Total - $105 with custom handles - $85 without them.

Reactions: dingyibvs
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023

Since you are a returning, maybe you can start at 7ply wood. clipper, pd437 or samso force pro black. No need to get 5ply anymore.
for rubber s try some Chinese/Chinese rubber to familiarize full stroke again

This user has no status.
I would say do not worry too much about which exact blade. Get something all wood in ALL+ to OFF range with a handle you like (or grip tape it to shape you like)... and slap on modern dynamic offensive control oriented soft rubbers or older gen control oriented offensive rubbers and go back to battle.

The setup in my sig can be played by both beginners and advnaced players well. I paid blademaker @CCBladecraft $20 to make some fatter handles for my Donic Persson Power Play (a $27 USD blade after discount from tabletennis11.com)... I use Aurus and Aurus soft for my rubbers - they last forever and I can do everything well with them.

My total setup cost is around the price of one sheet or premium rubber.

Blade $47 (27 +20)
Rubbers $29 each

Total - $105 with custom handles - $85 without them.

Thanks!
Will try whatever blade I feel comfortable. But do you have any recommendation for chinese medium or medium-soft rubbers? (FH/BH)

This user has no status.
A 5 ply or 7 Ply from SDC,Nittaku Factive for Bh and Butterfly Glayzer for FH.
This setup is maybe for Intermedia Players,but will motivate you to go hard in Training or competition,and will be playable even if you reach higher levels.
In the beginning you maybe get frustrated or overwhelmed,but hat hppens with a YSE with2 Mark V also.
It will also be pricey at about 150$,but you will be good to go with this setup for 5 Years.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Thanks!
Will try whatever blade I feel comfortable. But do you have any recommendation for chinese medium or medium-soft rubbers? (FH/BH)
The only non-H3 rubber i tried not named H3 that felt worth half a shyt was Yinhe Jupiter. Decent pace and control for a cheep rubber.

The rubbers I use cost me $27 USD each and last forever, like for MONTHS, they are easily a value. I could play 3x a week and they could last literally the entire year. That is a very low expense for a TT player playing that frequency.

This user has no status.
The only non-H3 rubber i tried not named H3 that felt worth half a shyt was Yinhe Jupiter. Decent pace and control for a cheep rubber.

The rubbers I use cost me $27 USD each and last forever, like for MONTHS, they are easily a value. I could play 3x a week and they could last literally the entire year. That is a very low expense for a TT player playing that frequency.

thanks! I might try this. As in chinese rubbers are more accessible and lower cost rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
You may buy a Sanwei Fextra 7 on AliEx for under $20 to get an idea of a 7-ply blade. It's a really good blade and if you slap Rakza 7 or X on it, it's quite a weapon with a great feel. You'll see if you're able control it, or it's too fast for you at this stage.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
Hi, quick background on my inquiry here.

I have played table tennis way back when, 11-12yrs ago, but it was more of after hours past time. Tho I was intrigued to play since..I had no time, no players or club to turn to. ~ needless to say I am a beginner but I understand the spin, serve, receive. My forehand is more of placement return and spin oriented, few smashes. My BH is more of chop push/block. Footwork well that needs some work.

Can a person at the older age can still learn table tennis?? and be competitive at least class C+/-. And suggestion for blade for 5ply and 7ply??
I did an impulse buy of Yinhe EC 14 with BluefireM1 FH/BH >> pretty sure I'm wrong here. Hence needing the communities recommendation.

FYI.
I still have jupiter 3 asia 40deg, battle 2 prov os 40deg and tornado V5 (bought online)

Thanks in advance!
Hi, kabayan! I'm in a similar situation. I took up the sport in high school as a garage player, took a PE class in college, played very few casual games after that and stopped playing altogether for 12 years or so. If you are located in NCR, most Ayala Malls (Cloverleaf, 30th, Manila Bay) have courts and they offer coaching sessions as well. I've taken a couple of sessions and enjoying it so far. I haven't met the playgroup in Ayala Malls 30th but from the group's GC they seem to be welcoming and fun. I just wanted to play again casually but I also want to do it properly. If I get good enough to enter tournaments that's just a bonus. I'm nowhere near good but I enjoy the experience of learning and developing. If you're near the Metro, maybe we can practice together as well, if you're interested.

BTW, I'm using Yasaka Sweden Classic and Xiom Vega Europe on both sides and it has the right amount of speed and control for a returning player like me. You might want to consider this setup as well. I ordered everything on tabletennis11 although the minimum purchase there is $109. There are a lot of local sellers as well and Lazada and Shopee are also an option.

Good luck on your journey! More people playing is always good for the sport.

Reactions: UpHill_Battle
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
Hi, kabayan! I'm in a similar situation. I took up the sport in high school as a garage player, took a PE class in college, played very few casual games after that and stopped playing altogether for 12 years or so. If you are located in NCR, most Ayala Malls (Cloverleaf, 30th, Manila Bay) have courts and they offer coaching sessions as well. I've taken a couple of sessions and enjoying it so far. I haven't met the playgroup in Ayala Malls 30th but from the group's GC they seem to be welcoming and fun. I just wanted to play again casually but I also want to do it properly. If I get good enough to enter tournaments that's just a bonus. I'm nowhere near good but I enjoy the experience of learning and developing. If you're near the Metro, maybe we can practice together as well, if you're interested.

BTW, I'm using Yasaka Sweden Classic and Xiom Vega Europe on both sides and it has the right amount of speed and control for a returning player like me. You might want to consider this setup as well. I ordered everything on tabletennis11 although the minimum purchase there is $109. There are a lot of local sellers as well and Lazada and Shopee are also an option.

Good luck on your journey! More people playing is always good for the sport.
There are other places where you can play of course, outside of the ayala malls ones. But they're the ones with the most available coaches.

Yes to TT11 for everything if you can get it to be over 110 usd. You won't get much of a discount here.