Need Recommendation and suggestion for someone new to sport!

This user has no status.
Hi, quick background on my inquiry here.

I have played table tennis way back when, 11-12yrs ago, but it was more of after hours past time. Tho I was intrigued to play since..I had no time, no players or club to turn to. ~ needless to say I am a beginner but I understand the spin, serve, receive. My forehand is more of placement return and spin oriented, few smashes. My BH is more of chop push/block. Footwork well that needs some work.

Can a person at the older age can still learn table tennis?? and be competitive at least class C+/-. And suggestion for blade for 5ply and 7ply??
I did an impulse buy of Yinhe EC 14 with BluefireM1 FH/BH >> pretty sure I'm wrong here. Hence needing the communities recommendation.

FYI.
I still have jupiter 3 asia 40deg, battle 2 prov os 40deg and tornado V5 (bought online)

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
That's not "older" age!

I am 56 and still getting better after 2 years back in the sport.

Apologies then.
I feel mid30s is too old to strat, well initially, since the players I see are younger and faster. People older than me,there are a lot, but they have been playing continuously since they are in their 20s.

Would you recommend any? for someone new to sport after 12yrs since past time playingof table tennis

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Apologies then.
I feel mid30s is too old to strat, well initially, since the players I see are younger and faster. People older than me,there are a lot, but they have been playing continuously since they are in their 20s.

Would you recommend any? for someone new to sport after 12yrs since past time playingof table tennis
No need to apologise - adult learning is harder, but if you are committed and physically able then no reason you cannot get better.

Equipment wise - there are many options, but a good 5 or 7 ply blade (There are so many) plus some mid hardness rubbers (again there are so many) and you will be good to go. I am sure others will make more specific recommendations.

This user has no status.
sorry, but I still don't know what is a C+Class
so I can't relate to what kind of level you are asking
I'll remove then the Class.

As seen on the brief background, I played TT as a past time way back when. But now I have the time, I do want to continue and progress. Any recommendation on equipment?? or where to begin.

I do watch games in a club I pass by from time to time, but every level is encourage to play by the coach - but as experience if you not their level players dont bother to try

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
The Philippines doesn't use USATT ratings like elo. It uses Class C, B, A I think.
I wouldn't be able to tell you its equivalency as it's not very intuitive.

This is a video of Class C for perspective:

Definitely doable, learn all the basic strokes, learn how to loop against backspin. Learn how to push, how to read spin etc. You'll win more as you make less mistakes from being lazy.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I'll remove then the Class.

As seen on the brief background, I played TT as a past time way back when. But now I have the time, I do want to continue and progress. Any recommendation on equipment?? or where to begin.

I do watch games in a club I pass by from time to time, but every level is encourage to play by the coach - but as experience if you not their level players dont bother to try
thanks for the video Migzkulit

I think it is doable.
I would suggest you find a coach and work with the coach for the next few months.
The earlier you start playing "correct", the less bad habits you will need to unlearn.
The more bad habits you have, the longer it will take you to reach a higher level.

In regards with equipment, it is all based on your current level.
Ideally a coach who knows how you play should recommend or spec up something for you.

If you not serious in improving, then of course you can try everything, but that will just halt your progress by few months or years.

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
I am 43 soon will be 44, i lost my motivation and even my fitness at middle of 2022 and i couldn't get back since, but i won't give up, i am a beginner and i don't take any coaching classing or training to improve my levels, but i was competitive to players of my level for a while mainly in 2018-2019 and 2021-mid 2022.

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Just start playing and have fun. Also the equipment is fine, just get to practicing and see into learning proper technique. M1 isn't too fast but the ec 14 is a bit of a nuclear rocket...😂

I think that a stiga infinity or offensive classic/cr would be just fine. Maybe a butterfly primorac or petr korbel. There's also the tibhar stratus power wood, but it's also very fast, so bad idea...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
I think you have 2 questions here,

1. If a middle age guy can start TT and be on a competition level
2. what equipment should you start with

For #1 - I think its still possible. if you'll give time to training and coaching sessions. Then maybe make it a hobby to play even with skilled payers in your club. I do get that some players does not want to play with lower level guys (trsut me I know). hai-yah....

For #2 - Maybe start with Stiga OC it is not a fast 5ply blade. Or as you stated you played before - maybe 7ply yinhe pd437 or dhs pg7/9

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
Just start playing and have fun. Also the equipment is fine, just get to practicing and see into learning proper technique. M1 isn't too fast but the ec 14 is a bit of a nuclear rocket...😂

I think that a stiga infinity or offensive classic/cr would be just fine. Maybe a butterfly primorac or petr korbel. There's also the tibhar stratus power wood, but it's also very fast, so bad idea...
Isn't stiga infinity (tho a 5ply) is a fast blade? maybe faster than tibhar SPW And the M1 is a tensor and fast for someone re-entering the sport again

This user has no status.
Any of the blades can be good? How about rubbers?

I see you are from the same counry. Will check recommendation, as I do not know where to start or cost. OR what quality is really good.
I think you have 2 questions here,

1. If a middle age guy can start TT and be on a competition level
2. what equipment should you start with

For #1 - I think its still possible. if you'll give time to training and coaching sessions. Then maybe make it a hobby to play even with skilled payers in your club. I do get that some players does not want to play with lower level guys (trsut me I know). hai-yah....

For #2 - Maybe start with Stiga OC it is not a fast 5ply blade. Or as you stated you played before - maybe 7ply yinhe pd437 or dhs pg7/9

I may take a look at Tibhar Stratus powerwood and yasaka extra offensive, but I think butterfly is costly for such a beginner like myself.
1. Butterfly Falcima with both side Rozena

2. Tibhar Stratus Powerwood with both side Donic Baracuda.

3. Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive with both side Donic Bluefire M2

Take your pick.

thank you for all your response.! I hope to receive more recommendation and suggestions. thanks!

This user has no status.
I have a dirty secret/ shortcut for you. Since you don't really play BH topspin - there is no point going for inverted rubbers. Put some deceptive long pips on BH (the ideal chopblocking rubber there is) and you would have solved serve receive without needing to acquire serve spin reading skills lol. Just sideswipe and chopblock everything to oblivion, then finish the ball with your FH. Easy non physical way to play. If you have a strong FH serve, FH attack and BH LP defence you will leapfrog in level real fast even over players who have played for decades - they will hate you but you'll be winning so you can just torture them with your long pips and enjoy!

Just buy some Dawei 388d-2 without sponge and put in on your BH - on FH just use any of your existing inverted rubbers.

For fun, I put one on my 7 ply wood blade and I was already doing quite decent with my left hand playing it within just a few sessions. It is not that difficult compared to trying to rebuild a BH topspin from scratch. Now that is a huge undertaking!

Last edited: