Need Recommendation and suggestion for someone new to sport!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BTW, I'm using Yasaka Sweden Classic and Xiom Vega Europe on both sides and it has the right amount of speed and control for a returning player like me. You might want to consider this setup as well.

That is a great setup. That would be perfect for OP as well.

There are lots of recommendations on this thread. Some better than others. Der_Echte's recommendations are also top flight.

In the end, what you want is a setup that allows you to have control on all basic strokes. Not too fast. Not too slow. And something that will allow you to spin the ball well and help you learn to improve your ability to generate increasing amounts of spin on your offensive topspin strokes. There are lots of ways to go with this.

I am going to add two pieces of information before I start listing things a few things that would be good. I am not a Butterfly fan. I don't love the company and the equipment I am using, none of it is Butterfly. But, I want to give them their due as well. The all wood blades.....they are not better or worse than any of the others. The feeling is good but may be a little duller than some of the other brands. But I am going to give the information on what they do that is good. Butterfly's blades are more durable and stand up to more external force than other brands. They will not break at the handle as easily. They will not unglue or delaminate as easily. There is less need to seal the blades because of how solid the blades are. If you bang the tip or side of the blade into the edge of the table (happens all the time) they will sustain notably less damage than almost any other brand.

If this is not important to you, other brands may FEEL BETTER, even if they are more easily damaged (in fact, they may feel better precisely for the same reasons they are more easily damaged: the factors that makes them crisper and have clearer ball feeling are also what make them easier to break: the wood density).

Now I will say the same thing about the rubbers. There are other rubbers that, for the first 3-4 weeks of play, may perform as well or better than Butterfly rubbers. But often Butterfly rubbers don't begin to downgrade and feel less good, less alive, more dead, for months after some of those other rubbers already feel like they are lifeless and that it is time for new rubbers. So, if Der says there is a rubber he could use for 1 year, if you gave him a Butterfly equivalent (which he won't buy himself - he and I agree on many things) it could last him 3-4 years and he would be saying it still felt like new. :) hahahaha.

So, if durability in blades or rubbers is an issue for you, even though Butterfly products cost more initially, in the long run, they can save some players money in the long run because of how durable what Butterfly makes turns out to be.

I am okay with buying new rubbers when I want them. So, I don't care about this. My OSP Vituoso Plus is more duable than any other blade I have used and I have done some serious slamming into tables with it where I dented the table and the blade showed hardly any damage. I don't know if any other OSP blade will be like that, but my V+ is a tank. :)

One more set of details: people seem to think 7 ply blades are faster than 5 ply blades. It is true and it is not true. 7 ply blades are stiffer than 5 ply blades because of the extra plies with grain changing directions: that makes the blade stiffer.

So, if you had a 7 ply blade and a 5 ply blade with the same wood plies and the same thickness and weight, the same head size and basic construction, the 7 ply blade would be stiffer. That means it would be better for direct hits than the 5 ply blade but it would be worse for spinning the ball. You can do either with either. But....Stiffer is better for hitting flat. A little extra flex lets you generate a little more spin but is not as good for direct impact.

Also worth noting: if you had a 5 ply and a 7 ply of the same thickness and weight made with the same basic wood construction, and head size, THE 5 PLY BLADE WOULD BE FASTER. Let me write that again: the five ply blade would be faster. If you had a 3 ply blade that was the same basic wood, head size, construction, thickness, weight, IT WOULD BE FASTER THAN THE 5 PLY. It would also have more flex. If you had a 1 ply: it would be faster than any of them (just much easier to break; which is why usually 1 plies are 9mm thick or thicker).

But the reason people associate 7 ply blade as faster is because they are stiffer and usually they are thicker and heavier.

Now that you have that information, you get to choose if you want stiffer or more flex.

Blades that may be good for you:

1) Butterfly Petr Korbel
2) Butterfly Primorac Off- (5 ply wood)
3) Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
4) Nittaku Acoustic
5) Xiom Offensive S
6) Yasaka Sweden Extra
7) Stiga Allround Evolution
8) Stiga Offensive Classic
9) Stiga Clipper (this is a 7 ply; the others are 5 ply)

There are a host of others. But I listed a bunch of 5 ply blades that would be good. I listed one 7 ply blade that would be fine. There are others. I like that one better than most of the others. But there are others. I could list OSP Virtuoso - and Virtuoso + as well. But.....like the Nittaku Acoustic it is more expensive than most of the other blades on that list.

Rubbers:

If you are used to Chinese rubbers already, there are tons. I am not going to list them. If you are starting out being used to European or Japanese rubbers (rubbers with springier sponge) it is, for a few weeks to months, a hard transition for some from springier sponge to Chinese rubbers. But, it is a choice that many find worth while. So, it is a choice. These are rubbers that are in the catapult sponge category that are easy enough to control and will help you improve your spin and your strokes.

1) Xiom Vega Europe and/or Pro
2) Tibhar Aurus (regular and/or soft)
3) Tibhar Evolution FXP
4) Of the Butterfly rubbers, I actually think Tenergy 05FX may fall into this category for some.
5) The other usual suspect Butterfly rubbers like Rozen and Glazer might be fine choices as well.

This is nowhere near an exhaustive list. And every major TT company makes good rubbers that are in that control category that would likely be excellent for you.

In the end, if you have enough information to make an intelligent choice, after that, all you have to do is get a dart board, make cue cards with the names of all the blades that fit your needs, put the cue cards on the dart board, get someone drunk, blindfold them, spin them around a few times, point them towards the dart board, and then have them throw darts until a dart hits the cue card for one of the blades.

After the blade is chosen, then follow the same procedure for the rubbers. :)

Sometimes we do too much thinking on this subject. If you have the important information and get something that falls into the category where it is not too fast or too slow (blade or rubbers) and it will help you generate spin but won't cause you to feel like you have no control when you are facing heavy or complex incoming spin, then IT WILL BE A GOOD CHOICE.

Hopefully this helps and gives you a broader overview of what you are looking for.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I guess I should also say: switching from springy rubbers to hard tacky rubbers with less springy sponge may be hard for some, but when you have made the transition, if you ever decide to switch back, that is not a hard transition.

Once you make the transition, it should be easy to go back and forth with relative ease. And the transition won't be hard for everyone.

I guess I should also say: switching from springy rubbers to hard tacky rubbers with less springy sponge may be hard for some, but when you have made the transition, if you ever decide to switch back, that is not a hard transition.

Once you make the transition, it should be easy to go back and forth with relative ease. And the transition won't be hard for everyone.
I must say that switch was one of best things I ever did. I have much much more control over my FH now with Hurricane 3.
The only thing is that it’s a challenge from position 3, but from that position I lost most balls anyway an d I try to stay in position 1 and 2 (closer to the table).

I must also say I disagree with your recommendation of T05FX. It’s one of the most reactive rubbers I played. A little cartapult is good but not like this. It makes the short game a walk on the razors edge. You will gain a few points in the offensive game, but loose more on the short game.

Cheers
L-zr

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I must say that switch was one of best things I ever did. I have much much more control over my FH now with Hurricane 3.
The only thing is that it’s a challenge from position 3, but from that position I lost most balls anyway an d I try to stay in position 1 and 2 (closer to the table).

I must also say I disagree with your recommendation of T05FX. It’s one of the most reactive rubbers I played. A little cartapult is good but not like this. It makes the short game a walk on the razors edge. You will gain a few points in the offensive game, but loose more on the short game.

Cheers
L-zr

Yeah. T05FX would not be a good choice for everyone. But I have seen a bunch of lower level players use it really well. So, it does depend. None of these things are fully one way. So, it is a fair point. And yet, I have seen it be a great rubber for more than a few people in that learning category anyway. :)

Reactions: Lazer
This user has no status.
You may buy a Sanwei Fextra 7 on AliEx for under $20 to get an idea of a 7-ply blade. It's a really good blade and if you slap Rakza 7 or X on it, it's quite a weapon with a great feel. You'll see if you're able control it, or it's too fast for you at this stage.
I did consider this.. But I was told by a coach that fextra 7 has alot of quality issues. most splinter and chip off with just ONE re-glue or change rubber. Hence he advised me to go with offensive s or u2 spin

This user has no status.
Hi! So play at Ayala malls 30th? May I ask if you're still considered as beginner - if so would like to play/spar with you. As I went to 30th few days ago - its hard to play if you dont have any partner, and own blade, as you'd be sitting at the side most of the time. Its a long line for a turn - that is if someone is kind enough to do drills.

I am considering still 5ply offensive s & stratus powerwood and 7ply clipper & extreme s - these are available in local shops. I dont wanna break the bank as I am just returning.

This user has no status.
There are other places where you can play of course, outside of the ayala malls ones. But they're the ones with the most available coaches.

Yes to TT11 for everything if you can get it to be over 110 usd. You won't get much of a discount here.

Hey! nice flag! lol.

do you have any recommendation on both 5ply, 7ply and rubbers?
Can be local shops or TT11.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I did consider this.. But I was told by a coach that fextra 7 has alot of quality issues. most splinter and chip off with just ONE re-glue or change rubber. Hence he advised me to go with offensive s or u2 spin
This is absolutely not true in my experience owning 3 Fextras and having changed rubbers on them multiple times. Splintering is an issue on unsealed limba due to the nature of the wood itself (and user error of course). Splintering can and has occurred on a W968 and nobody would call those $500 blades poor quality.

If you are worried about splintering then get a koto blade or use some polyurethane to seal your limba blade. The brand of the blade will have zero to do with it. Think about it, it's a layer of plywood and all brands likely buy from similar sources. Nothing the blade maker does except choosing the supplier has any influence on how the outer wood layer will behave. Something like delamination, on the other hand, would be poor build quality since it has to do with the gluing process.

All that said, try the U2 spin. Not many people in the English speaking internet have tried it, but I've read some great reviews about it in Chinese websites.

Reactions: UpHill_Battle
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
This is absolutely not true in my experience owning 3 Fextras and having changed rubbers on them multiple times. Splintering is an issue on unsealed limba due to the nature of the wood itself (and user error of course). Splintering can and has occurred on a W968 and nobody would call those $500 blades poor quality.

If you are worried about splintering then get a koto blade or use some polyurethane to seal your limba blade. The brand of the blade will have zero to do with it. Think about it, it's a layer of plywood and all brands likely buy from similar sources. Nothing the blade maker does except choosing the supplier has any influence on how the outer wood layer will behave. Something like delamination, on the other hand, would be poor build quality since it has to do with the gluing process.

All that said, try the U2 spin. Not many people in the English speaking internet have tried it, but I've read some great reviews about it in Chinese websites.
Yeah just lacquer it, the feeling change shouldn't matter much at this point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
Hi! So play at Ayala malls 30th? May I ask if you're still considered as beginner - if so would like to play/spar with you. As I went to 30th few days ago - its hard to play if you dont have any partner, and own blade, as you'd be sitting at the side most of the time. Its a long line for a turn - that is if someone is kind enough to do drills.

I am considering still 5ply offensive s & stratus powerwood and 7ply clipper & extreme s - these are available in local shops. I dont wanna break the bank as I am just returning.
It's a self-evaluation but I'm pretty sure I'm a beginner having only played casually back in college with no formal coaching. I've been busy the past couple of weeks so I've only had 3 training sessions so far and haven't played a single game yet lol. I'll be at the 30th tomorrow so if you're free, just HMU.

This user has no status.
It's a self-evaluation but I'm pretty sure I'm a beginner having only played casually back in college with no formal coaching. I've been busy the past couple of weeks so I've only had 3 training sessions so far and haven't played a single game yet lol. I'll be at the 30th tomorrow so if you're free, just HMU.
I missed this. Well will try and go to 30th someday as it is on the way. I do hope for a better experience next time. thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
I missed this. Well will try and go to 30th someday as it is on the way. I do hope for a better experience next time. thanks!
Good luck! Maybe the crowd was friendlier yesterday compared to when you went there. Got to play for the first time yesterday and the regulars were really accommodating. There are tables that does drills and tables that are doing matches, just had to be extra friendly as I didn't know anyone.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
I appreciate all the advise.

I plan now on getting offensive s and fextra 7 or maybe just a clipper.
Entry level esn/jpn rubber are expensive on my end - will opt for chinese hard/medium rubbers. (will try and ask local clubs if any would help me out)

thanks again!
I think it could be good to get a second opinion on this setup from your club/coach...

I would like to recommend the Butterfly Peter Korbel Blade with Fastarc G1 on both sides my girlfriend was a total beginner over 2 years ago and now has improved so much !!! This set up is still going strong with 10 hours a week play !!! Her game has improved so much and the set up has helped her so much definitely worth a try !!!!

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
I've been there. It depends on who are currently playing, or try ask some player s you see is somehow beginner or beginner with experience (tho this is seldom - as most are intermediate) - all else fail try and ask the coach for drills or matchplay so they can assess you (if there is an open table)

The Philippines doesn't use USATT ratings like elo. It uses Class C, B, A I think.
I wouldn't be able to tell you its equivalency as it's not very intuitive.

This is a video of Class C for perspective:

Definitely doable, learn all the basic strokes, learn how to loop against backspin. Learn how to push, how to read spin etc. You'll win more as you make less mistakes from being lazy.
yoo ron jerry gelera table tennis club

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
just to continue my inquiry..

are medium to medium-hard rubber as a backhand applicable for someone returning?
blade is sanwei fextra7
rubber is jupiter 3 asia or tornado v5

TIA
Sure, of course. Jupiter 3 is excellent fh rubber. and Tornado is a pretty reasonable bh or fh rubber.