Nervous in a game?

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I don't get nervous playing against really really good players, because I know I am the underdog. But I do get a tad nervous playing against a slightly lower ranking players, coz I know he's gunning for me. But normally for me, the nervousness will quickly disappear after 2 or 3 services.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I'm only nervous at taekwondo tournaments
why?
because you now that you get pain hahah
but I'm never nervous at table tennis tournaments...

says does somebody knoms whats the melody at 2:38 ...
says does somebody knoms whats the melody at 2:38 ...
Feb 2011
I think the best strategy is to think before every ball change: it is 0:0 (the new game new luck)

This user has no status.
I used to get nervous but once I started to go to tournaments, I got used to it. Therefore I don´t feel nervous anymore. Now when I used to get nervous it was while I was not playing and then in the first point. After that I was not nervous at all.. Now if it is that you get nervous in difficult situations you can play with your pratice partner 1 game till 5 points another one to 4 and another to 3... Or you can start already with points in which you are already losing like 8-5, 9-6 or 10-8 so that you know how to handle those situations when you are in a real game...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
The thing that makes you nervous is that you start to be afraid of making decisions. You get afraid that you make the wrong decisions, because there are only so much points to play and you don't have time to test all your options. What you should learn is to trust on your reflexes. When you are in a rally, always go with the first option that comes to mind, and execute it for a 100%. If you doubt, you'll end up putting only like half the effort into your shot, so it will fail, and it will make you doubt even more if you are making the right decisions. It's a vicious circle.

Usually there is not only one right option. Several options are good, it is just important to pick one and go for it. Only then you will have the best chance to execute it right, and thus confirm for yourself that your decision was good. You train the right reflexes in practise, during matches you should rely on your reflexes and most important, trust in them.

This user has no status.
The thing that makes you nervous is that you start to be afraid of making decisions. You get afraid that you make the wrong decisions, because there are only so much points to play and you don't have time to test all your options. What you should learn is to trust on your reflexes. When you are in a rally, always go with the first option that comes to mind, and execute it for a 100%. If you doubt, you'll end up putting only like half the effort into your shot, so it will fail, and it will make you doubt even more if you are making the right decisions. It's a vicious circle.

Usually there is not only one right option. Several options are good, it is just important to pick one and go for it. Only then you will have the best chance to execute it right, and thus confirm for yourself that your decision was good. You train the right reflexes in practise, during matches you should rely on your reflexes and most important, trust in them.

One of the best posts i've seen so far. I would add that strategies should be more general than specific (for e.g. playing short to the opponent BH, or surprise him with a long FH shot), this would give you more options than specific strategies(for e.g. loop with FH to opponents FH), because you won't know what the opponent will give you.

Is anyone here playing without beeing nervous in a game? How you do that?
I had the same problem to 9 months ago....
I suuggest that u breath in much air to extend ur diagphram and eliminate the strongest part of the effect of NERVES :)))))

Is anyone here playing without beeing nervous in a game? How you do that?
I suuggest that u breath in much air to extend ur diagphram and eliminate the strongest part of the effect of NERVES :)))))

BTW : just won bronze in the tourney earlier today ...
I was on so much pressure coz i played the deciding game...
My coach reminded me of this then BAMMM.... ma long LOL XD :)))

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Here is some tips from Sharad Pandit, a pro player from Aussie who is using short pips on both side:

"Two or three things I try to pay attention to are :
1. Hitting during the ascending phase of the ball rise.
2. Making sure that my head says steady and my neck is not hyper-extended ! This for me is an important issue because it really controls the tension in the shoulder and the arm. Then when you make mistakes slowly the body becomes tense and then everything falls apart. I would have to show this in person if I am not explaining well on paper. It is something I have stumbled upon and seems to make a big difference for me. 3. Making sure my breathing is right between points.
4. Not having a big backswing and waiting for the ball to come to the bat and not being in a rush to get rid of it. As Stellan Bengston says, ' You need to cherish it and not be in a hurry to get rid of it' I hope some of it helps some."

The best part for this discussion is number 2 and 3 :D
That makes me wanna integrate Systema breathing into my game.
Breath out when I unleash my stroke rather than UNGGGH :D Much more effective!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
UNGGGH...should work too Yosua. In a way, it's breathing out too.

Indeed Sir Az :D It is breathing out too.
But I get the impression that it includes the use of sound therefore more muscle contraction and the air flow is not as good as breathing out thru the mouth.

Do you UNGGGH throughout the game Sir Az? :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews

BTW : just won bronze in the tourney earlier today ...
I was on so much pressure coz i played the deciding game...
My coach reminded me of this then BAMMM.... ma long LOL XD :)))

Good call Renz :) You are absolutely right!

Diaphragmatic breathing is all natural to human since the time of birth and is beneficial to all parts of life including sports. Shame it is gradually changed to 'chest' breathing when we grow up due to the fact that we live in an unhealthy world :(

I am grateful that when I am @ elementary school I joined a vocal course @ my church thus learned to effectively breath thru the abdomen rather than thru the 'chest'. With proper training one could change their short limited 'chest' breathing to diaphragmatic breathing.

I have changed my breath and I could say that even tho my body build is rather big, my stamina is neverending and I could control my nerves better thru the breathing. Thank God for that :D

Edit: Oh dear where is Sir Carl, I missed him. He as an expert in yoga must knew better about the breathing stuff and its benefits.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Thanks for all the answears! Im just curious about diffrent ways to take controll over the nerves and be totaly relaxed in matches. If i met some players who has really good services i think its hard to stay cool and relaxed when he´s serving. Also when i play against "hardhitting" players i find it hard to stay relaxed. Do you have any tips what to do in those situations?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Thanks for all the answears! Im just curious about diffrent ways to take controll over the nerves and be totaly relaxed in matches. If i met some players who has really good services i think its hard to stay cool and relaxed when he´s serving. Also when i play against "hardhitting" players i find it hard to stay relaxed. Do you have any tips what to do in those situations?

Well it wouldn't help if you can control your nerves when you can't return the opponents shots. Problems with getting nervous result in missing easy balls, or shots that you can return, but fail to return. In the cases you mention I'd suggest to figure out the opponents serve (ask your coach about it as he might have a better view on it during a match), and against "hardhitting" players you should play very good tactics so they won't get into a situation where they can... hit hard :)

Those are tactical / strategy issues. It is important however that you stay calm in order to keep in mind the strategy you want to apply. When you get nervous you don't stick to your plan because you don't believe in it.

So the first step is to decide how you want to play. This can be different against any opponent, and there are several good ways to fight an opponent.
Second, it is important that you stick to your choice so you can execute it convincingly. This is the part where nerves can be a problem.

So if you get nervous because you are afraid of the opponents skill (whether it be serving or a playing style), you should start with the first step.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Many techs is used for this.. You just have to find the one that works for you ;)

I've got many.. But the main thing, like Jörgen Persson said in an interview with a Norwegian magazine, you'll have to try thinking as little as possible. Just play your game, don't think so much, just play :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Many techs is used for this.. You just have to find the one that works for you ;)

I've got many.. But the main thing, like Jörgen Persson said in an interview with a Norwegian magazine, you'll have to try thinking as little as possible. Just play your game, don't think so much, just play :)

I try to think as little as possible, but then i get confused :D