• Barbara Wei

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • David Wetherril

Votes: 14 33.3%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
To be honest, I didn't like neither of them too much. Especially with Adam, he just said what everyone can see like we are blind.

So what do I want then? Watch a match with Richard Prause as commentator - he is not only saying "oh, that one had lots of spin" or "ooh, that one was too short for Xu Xin" but he says WHAT the players SHOULD do to win, where their tactical problems are and where they have difficulties with their strokes. That are insides which normal spectators, even if playing on a good level themselves, not necessarily know. But if a ball is too short or a service too high - damn everyone can see that.

So in conclusion, Barbara actually got closest to that even though her comments were far from being as helpful as those from Richard… and it's true, her voice is a little annoying...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
To be honest, I didn't like neither of them too much. Especially with Adam, he just said what everyone can see like we are blind.

So what do I want then? Watch a match with Richard Prause as commentator - he is not only saying "oh, that one had lots of spin" or "ooh, that one was too short for Xu Xin" but he says WHAT the players SHOULD do to win, where their tactical problems are and where they have difficulties with their strokes. That are insides which normal spectators, even if playing on a good level themselves, not necessarily know. But if a ball is too short or a service too high - damn everyone can see that.

So in conclusion, Barbara actually got closest to that even though her comments were far from being as helpful as those from Richard… and it's true, her voice is a little annoying...

Its very easy for spectators to comment on how a person can improve their game.Put the same people(spectators that judge others) in a similar situation and watch how they play.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Its very easy for spectators to comment on how a person can improve their game.Put the same people(spectators that judge others) in a similar situation and watch how they play.

Sorry, but that's a stupid comment - if a commentator for example says that Boll should go over Samsonov's elbow and not on the angles because that's where he is weakest he doesn't imply that he is better there…

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Sorry, but that's a stupid comment - if a commentator for example says that Boll should go over Samsonov's elbow and not on the angles because that's where he is weakest he doesn't imply that he is better there…

But if the commentator notices the weakness in the player,wouldnt the players know each others weakness?wouldnt they test each other out,watch videos of the person playing to see where their weakness is?

You cant tell the person what to do.In that situation,everything is different.You have to react to spin,speed and your position.So its best not to comment like that saying what the person could have done and should have done.

So my comment does not seem to be stupid by the info Ive just given you and the reasoning behind my words.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Good luck to the contestants. I have heard David Wetherill comment at the English Nationals, he is very knowledgeable but he has an extreme amount of humour. Perhaps this is what TT could do with?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
I think this shows just how difficult good commentating really is. I guess it is inevitable that a commentator cannot please all the people all the time. It is probably best to have more than one voice to allow bits of dialogue, and to have one lead commentator and one ex pro/coach commentator backing them up.

I think many televised sports in the UK have been greatly helped by having a distinctive 'voice of the sport' commentator - 6 Nations Rugby, Formula 1, Golf, Cricket. It would be really good if Table Tennis could find that voice - a mix of building tension and excitement with the voice, knowing when to keep silent, adding humour, having good knowledge and information, a distinctive timbre, but a tone and style that don't grate or annoy. I think it is very hard to find and takes a long time to develop and hone. I am not really sure that this type of competition is the right selection process.

Reactions: wetherill89