Old Stiga Blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Hi Guys!

I just have found an old Stiga Blade in the cellar, but i am not sure which blade it is. I think it‘s a Kjell Johansson (but it doesnt have the black spot at the handle). Maybe someone could help me out and could tell me the details of this wood? :) Regards, Forsza

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I think you need to post a picture if you want any help.

Sorry, it‘s the first time i am posting here and i had an appointment in the meantime! Anyways, here are the pictures:
24E63F09-0FAD-4134-A0BD-26B67D8630D5.jpg923EBA14-828F-4B7E-9ACE-FE44C6D2265B.jpg
B8AC4D2D-6DFA-4D9A-BD8A-5B602EFE7E9A.jpgD7DCB2AA-AB57-4B9D-AC5B-408A42796872.jpg

Greetings!

Reactions: Suga D
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Oh ok so the 2nd layer is ayous and not spruce?

I think it's a limba/limba/ayous/limba/limba, but am not sure. My first serious blade was the the Kjell Johansson Offensive Wood from the same generation, and that had, I think, a walnut/limba/ayous/limba/walnut composition. A great blade, of which the tiny sweet spot really made you hit the ball just right. Or else... but if you did, you were well rewarded.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Nice. Probably a version of offensive classic.

Nope.

Oh ok so the 2nd layer is ayous and not spruce?

Not Spruce.

Sorry, it‘s the first time i am posting here and i had an appointment in the meantime! Anyways, here are the pictures:
View attachment 18109View attachment 18110
View attachment 18107View attachment 18108

Greetings!

On the blade face it says Allround Wood. Not Offensive.

When you look at the side view where you can see the plies, you definitely do not see the characteristic grain of Spruce. That is how a Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba blade would look from the side.

I am not 100% sure it is Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba. But I am 100% sure it is not Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba. And I am fairly sure it is Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba. But I would need to have it in my hand to be 100% sure. With high quality photos of the edge and the plies from all angles would give me more confidence. However, with a photo that is not so clear, I can say that it is not Spruce. It could be a Limba inner ply. But I doubt it.

I think all of what yoass has said is spot on.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
On the side of the handle is „C15“ engraved. Does anyone know what that means?
3BC6A3C7-7AA9-4FD5-A937-DC278B69E727.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
On the side of the handle is „C15“ engraved. Does anyone know what that means?
View attachment 18113

Nice.

I think the letter is the year of production and the number is the number how many blades have been produced so far.

Afaik STIGA didn't come up with these engravings in the beginning (speaking of the 1950's here). I think they've started doing that somewhere in the nineteenseventies.
So following this logic the letter C should stand for the third year after they introduced the production numbers and 15 would mean that it's the fifteenth blade of that production year and production line.

But i think Magic_M can tell us more about this. I only have little knowledge. Magic, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Hmmm. I have an old Stiga as well. It also has C15 on the side of the handle. It has a Legend handle with quite heavy varnish and no pattern, and no printing on the face. I've always thought it was a premade. I really can't remember the origin of this blade, but I think I must have acquired it in about 1970/1, complete with Sriver D12 and Super Anti rubber, although they may have been added later. It really is a blank spot in my memory. But, I didn't play apart from a few days between 1965 and 2016, so it is somewhat of a mystery for me. A year or two back I tried putting new rubber (Mk V), but found it unimpressive. But I think the C15 is not Year/Number of units, unless very coincidental.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And I am 100 % sure, that the composition is Limba - Limba - Ayous - Limba - Limba ;)

I am confident Magic_M knows the old Stiga blades.

Does Stiga have any current blades with Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
This code shows the pruction-week:

Stiga started with thus code in 1975. These blades got an A, 1976 got a B and so on up to J in 1983. So C means that the blade is produced in 1977.

The number 15 shows the week of production. So we know that this blade is produced between April 04 and April 09 in 1977.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Of course Stiga still sells a blade with this construction and it is still the bestseller: the Allround Classic, but the actual version has more flex than the old blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
This code shows the pruction-week:

Stiga started with thus code in 1975. These blades got an A, 1976 got a B and so on up to J in 1983. So C means that the blade is produced in 1977.

The number 15 shows the week of production. So we know that this blade is produced between April 04 and April 09 in 1977.

Thank you very much! This helped me a lot! So I guess it‘s considered a pretty rare blade nowadays?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

Ah, there was my mistake.
Thanks for the correction.
[Emoji2]

One more question though:
has Stiga also used this composition before the Allround wood was introduced? I think I've seen this composition also on some old Stellan Blades, or is my memory playing tricks on me again?