Ovtcharov states “My Goal in Paris is a medal!”

Germany’s Dimitrij Ovtcharov was the highest ranked European player on duty at the recent 2013Asia-Euro All-star Challenge, although he was victorious on the opening day of the tournament, it was a different story the day after when he faced the crowds favourite Zhang Jike.

ovtcharovwttc2013.jpg

Dimitrij Ovtcharov (AP Photo/Sergei Grits)

The match between Ovtcharov and Jike was one of the most anticipated battles in the 2013 Asia-Euro All-star Challenge, primarily because they are the highest ranked players from each team. These two players may be enemies on the court however Ovtcharov revealed they have a good relationship off the table and often keep in touch “Although my Chinese isn’t very good and neither is Zhang’s English we find a way to communicate, fortunately we can understand each other very well”.

The result of the top players match was unusual as this time the German player was unable to gain a set, with this Ovtcharov was able to see room for improvement in his game especially with the 2013 World Championships fast approaching. He commented “I will work hard in the 2013 World Championships; my goal is to gain a medal whatever the colour”.

Ovtcharov has never won a Men’s singles medal in the history of the World Championships and so will be keen to change that this year; the closest he got was in 2009 and 2011 where he reached the last 16. He lost to Ma Long in Yokohama and to Boll in Rotterdam.

Source: TableTennisTa
Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.
Written by: Emily Standing
TableTennisDaily