Players with a bigger arm swing when looping

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Hi guys,

I was at a tournament at the weekend, and I was watching a guy play who is very good, but has a big arm swinging loop as opposed to a short compact topspin stroke.

I tried to see what blade he was using, but missed him after he had finished.

I was therefore wondering when a player has a large arm swing when looping, is it better to have a blade with more dwell? Rather than a harder surface? So would blades with soft outer plys suit a big arm swinging looper due to the dwell time?

This user has no status.
big arm swing = slower recovery
short arm swing = quicker recovery

it doesn't matter what blade you use. the big arm swing is powerful, but you have to 1) be naturally quick 2) be physically fit and 3) have perfect mechanics if you want to play this way. if you meet all of these criteria AND you practice a lot you will probably want a quick blade to suit your powerful style. or you can just get the quickest blade available and hope that you will win every point with one shot so there will be no need for recovery... which i wouldn't recommend.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Big arm swingers tend to use fast blades with softer outer plies (clipper, etc), taking the Chinese as an example. The increased dwell time helps with control, as does the tacky rubber typically used. It slows recovery so more anticipation and game intelligence is needed to execute forehands consistently; however, it can produce very powerful and direct shots that are tough to return.

Reactions: sanavasaraja