Primorac carbon with Hurricane 8-80

This user has no status.
Just theory crafting because Dignics is way too expensive, what do you guys think about Primorac carbon + Hurricane 8-80 37 deg on BH and 38 deg on FH. Would this work well for a standard two wing looping game?

The idea is that the Primorac carbon provides the speed, while the rubbers provide the spin needed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Isn't the Primorac Carbon with Dignics 09c what Timo and Groth use?

Nothing solves all the problems and everything has tradeoffs. Until you build it and test, there is always the potential (which is often actualized) for there to be ranges of impact where your natural impulses are not in line with the equipment so you have to make decisions.

I have seen players use the Primorac Carbon with H3 Neo and play reasonably well. But nothing solves the problem of low rebound of the tacky rubber completely, it is better to embrace it as a feature rather than a bug, because ultimately, you need to be in position every time with a tacky rubber and the blade can't fully fix that.

This user has no status.
personally I don't like Primorac Carbon

I would actually stay with ALC since I see you are using it.
What is the reason, do you lack speed?
ALC is already very fast and to me Primorac Carbon is just too stiff/fast. I also don't like thicker blades
No, I like my current setup, it's just a way for me to save cost (Hurricane 8-80 being way cheaper than Dignics 05) lol...

But maybe you're right, I could even go double Hurricane 8-80 on Viscaria (38 deg for FH, 37 deg on BH). For me spin is much more valuable than speed, but it can't be too slow that I lose too much speed during BH - BH fast countering.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
No, I like my current setup, it's just a way for me to save cost (Hurricane 8-80 being way cheaper than Dignics 05) lol...

But maybe you're right, I could even go double Hurricane 8-80 on Viscaria (38 deg for FH, 37 deg on BH). For me spin is much more valuable than speed, but it can't be too slow that I lose too much speed during BH - BH fast countering.
to save money, and since you have the blade and bh rubber already, is indeed try out a 38 deg for the FH.
There is also H3-37 that you could consider

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
to save money, and since you have the blade and bh rubber already, is indeed try out a 38 deg for the FH.
Good day to you sir,

What is the main difference between Hurricane 8-80 37 degrees and Hurricane 3 37 degrees (Spin, speed, tackiness).

Thank you in advance for your kind reply.

Best regards,

This user has no status.
Good day to you sir,

What is the main difference between Hurricane 8-80 37 degrees and Hurricane 3 37 degrees (Spin, speed, tackiness).

Best regards,
I think you have to boost Hurricane 3 for optimal performance otherwise the sponge is way too dead, while Hurricane 8-80 does quite well without boosting. Both are equally tacky and spinny imo, the sponge is the biggest difference. I'm lazy af to boost so for me it's Hurricane 8-80.

Reactions: TT Lover
This user has no status.
I'm actually already using Hurricane 8-80 38 deg for FH, for BH I'm currently using D05.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Good day to you sir,

Best regards,
hi there

H3 has a grippier topsheet over H8. The spin on H3 topsheet is way better.

sponge wise, 80# (H8-80) is more bouncier than 20# (H3-37Deg).
Both can be boosted to make it easier to play with

Both are actually designed as BH rubbers.

Reactions: TT Lover
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I'm actually already using Hurricane 8-80 38 deg for FH, for BH I'm currently using D05.
I see. I got it the other way wrong haha

why don't you just turn your bat around and try 38 deg on BH and see how it goes. this way you don't even need to buy a rubber.
38 and 37 is actually really close

This user has no status.
I see. I got it the other way wrong haha

why don't you just turn your bat around and try 38 deg on BH and see how it goes. this way you don't even need to buy a rubber.
38 and 37 is actually really close
Lol didn't think about that... yeah I'll try that for sure 😁

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I had the H8-80 38deg on backhand before. As it is bouncy, it also can be really dead in the flat hits. I really liked it in the blocking/defending game, but it demanded a bit too much of my technique on the offensive part to work allright. I've used a Yinhe V14 Pro blade for testing..

Actually my son used Dignics 05 on backhand, and as it is super expensive we've tried to find a replacement for this one. He has really great backhand technique and uses very much of the D05 potential, so it has been hard to find something else. But now, for three months back, he's playing with Joola Ryhzen AGR that gives him the spin of D05 but lacks a little bit in speed compared to D05. In return he gets much more control in the short game and flat hits, so for now it looks good.

Back to the H8-80 37deg vs H3 37deg compare. I've tried the H3 37deg as well for backhand. It's a huge difference compared to the H8-80. The sponge isn't soft enough to give you the security for a backhand rubber and the spin/kick H3 gives you when hitting right isn't there. I assume that the softer sponge doesn't quite go with the stiffer top sheet of H3? Anyway. This was not for me.

I use Yinhe Big Dipper 38deg for backhand, and it gives me more "what-I-want" in a backhand rubber. It's more responsive than H8-80 and it's kind of a "do-it-all" rubber that shines in the spin/control area. My son (mentioned above) played for a month or so with the Big Dipper 39deg (BH) but it lacked some power he got from D05 that we compared with then. I feel, when hitting right BD 39deg is superb for the money and BD 38deg is more forgiving and safe.

A tacky, more bouncy rubber than BD 38deg is Giant Dragon - TopEnergy Soft. I've also tried the new 729 - Dragon F Medium Hard. This is also in this backhand rubber area, with it's softer sponge and tacky top sheet. It gives a bit higher throw than the others I mentioned, so if you like that it could be something for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I had the H8-80 38deg on backhand before. As it is bouncy, it also can be really dead in the flat hits. I really liked it in the blocking/defending game, but it demanded a bit too much of my technique on the offensive part to work allright. I've used a Yinhe V14 Pro blade for testing..

Actually my son used Dignics 05 on backhand, and as it is super expensive we've tried to find a replacement for this one. He has really great backhand technique and uses very much of the D05 potential, so it has been hard to find something else. But now, for three months back, he's playing with Joola Ryhzen AGR that gives him the spin of D05 but lacks a little bit in speed compared to D05. In return he gets much more control in the short game and flat hits, so for now it looks good.

Back to the H8-80 37deg vs H3 37deg compare. I've tried the H3 37deg as well for backhand. It's a huge difference compared to the H8-80. The sponge isn't soft enough to give you the security for a backhand rubber and the spin/kick H3 gives you when hitting right isn't there. I assume that the softer sponge doesn't quite go with the stiffer top sheet of H3? Anyway. This was not for me.

I use Yinhe Big Dipper 38deg for backhand, and it gives me more "what-I-want" in a backhand rubber. It's more responsive than H8-80 and it's kind of a "do-it-all" rubber that shines in the spin/control area. My son (mentioned above) played for a month or so with the Big Dipper 39deg (BH) but it lacked some power he got from D05 that we compared with then. I feel, when hitting right BD 39deg is superb for the money and BD 38deg is more forgiving and safe.

A tacky, more bouncy rubber than BD 38deg is Giant Dragon - TopEnergy Soft. I've also tried the new 729 - Dragon F Medium Hard. This is also in this backhand rubber area, with it's softer sponge and tacky top sheet. It gives a bit higher throw than the others I mentioned, so if you like that it could be something for you.
H3-37 on BH does require hardcore technique.
Not many people in CNT uses it.
D05/T05 I think is still more complete out of the box.
H3-37 isn't cheap either
Have your son tried it with some booster?

To me the H3 topsheet is still better than H8 topsheet for spin. So the rest is basically sponge issue.
But the BH stroke need to be really gripping the ball properly and can't go in too flat.

One of Taiwan's top cadet that train at our base (once or twice a week) with a former coach of the base (and former Shan Dong champion, and Chinese international graded coach), actually had 5 pairs of nation H3 22# and H3 37 arranged through Ma Long. That FH and BH rubber is way better than the H3's I can get.

Last edited:
Reactions: H3R0 and mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
H3-37 on BH does require hardcore technique.
Not many people in CNT uses it.
D05/T05 I think is still more complete out of the box.
H3-37 isn't cheap either
Have your son tried it with some booster?
Yes he has, but he likes better to play with the H3 41deg on backhand than the 37 deg, because of the more direct effect and speed it gives when top spinning.
To me the H3 topsheet is still better than H8 topsheet for spin. So the rest is basically sponge issue.
Likewise. But I feel that the H8-80 top sheet feels much different from the H8. The ordinary H8 top sheet, to me, is much more similar to the H3. The H8-80 wears out more fast, and in a different way.
But the BH stroke need to be really gripping the ball properly and can't go in too flat.

One of Taiwan's top cadet that train at our base (once or twice a week) with a former coach the base (and former Shan Dong champion, and Chinese international graded coach), actually had 5 pairs of nation H3 22# and H3 37 arranged through Ma Long. That FH and BH rubber is way better than the H3's I can get.
Yeah. I can imagine that. There must be quite a difference as the price is quite different as well :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Likewise. But I feel that the H8-80 top sheet feels much different from the H8. The ordinary H8 top sheet, to me, is much more similar to the H3. The H8-80 wears out more fast, and in a different way.

I actually haven't used H8 before.
I do quite like H8-80 so far. I think i'm using too many fresh sheets, to really test the durability. But I have heard few people mentioning it before.

Now i'm fooling around with the H9 colors and its just not so great, including the 80# sponges, which is just way too brittle (after training, there is crumbs on the table and that is crazy).

I've also testing the Rxton 3 Pink with a light layer of booster. The spin isn't top notch- which I don't mind too much and show be fine for many people, blocking and control is brilliant, but only set back is the top sheet does lack some grip - I've skidded a feel balls into the net (the noise of the contact is wrong too).

First time, I thought the booster was still wet (2nd layer was less than 24 hours dry), so I reglued after airing it for 2 days. When it happened again, I gather its just the quality of top sheet is not there yet. I will test R3 blue and more pink ones, just to check on the skidding issue to make sure its not just the rubber I have.

That Chinese coach did tell me to try H3-37.
But i'm living the colorful life now :p