PSA: Stiga Inspira Hybrid Carbon and Andro Syntheliac VCO OFF seem like close siblings but are not

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I was interested in a Stiga carbon blade that would play like Cybershape but without the Cybershape and I somehow landed on the Hybrid Carbon and someone mentioned in passing in a post the VCO OFF is made in the same factory. I was looking at Dandoy for the Hybrid Carbon and lo and behold the VCO OFF for sale at close to half the price and so I went "why not, for science".

Stiga Inspira Hybrid Carbon - 88gm, 5.85mm thick, 158.5 x 150 mm head size
Andro Syntheliac VCO OFF - 85gm, 5.8mm thick, 157 x 150mm head size

From the material and construction, it is very likely they came from the same place. How close they are to play, I will update once I get a chance to put the FH rubbers on.

InspiraHC_SyntheliacVCO000.jpg
InspiraHC_SyntheliacVCO001.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
So I got to play them tonight after slapping on Loki Arthur China on the FH and with Stiga Mantra Pro H preassembled on the BH and they could not be more different. The Syntheliac was like a regular ALC blade and was not notable enough that I pimped it off to my sparring partner at 65% off what I paid for the whole setup as he liked it better than his Timo Boll ALC.

The Inspira Hybrid Carbon setup, while heavier at 191 grams vs the 185 of the Syntheliac, is a whole other kettle of fish and was another shining moment in my EJ journey. I suspect it was made to be like a Long 5 as it has that forgiveness at low speed and blocks and the catch, cup and catapult and spin of a good Long 5 or W968. I wasn't expecting that at all and I'm glad I discovered it as it combines the best of Long 5 and outer ALC blades(crisper, faster backhand). I played better than usual as my percentage of shots going in went up. Maybe it's the larger head size that gives the Inspira its Long 5 like qualities. Looking closely at the plies, and I may be imagining this, the carbon layer seems slightly thicker in the Inspira than the VCO OFF and the wood layer below it slightly thinner.

The Stiga Mantra Pro H on the backhand was transparent enough that I did not have to think about it and it let the blade shine to get the ball in. The rubber is also another good discovery especially at the sale price I got it at.

Reactions: ben1229