Question on blade thickness and characteristic

says Not for sale, I liked it actually
says Not for sale, I liked it actually
May 2018
Can anyone explain to me given the same composition, same material same everything.

How a blade that's thinner let's say 5.82mm compare to a 6.00mm blade? What's the differences the pros and cons etc... Thanks!

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Can anyone explain to me given the same composition, same material same everything.

How a blade that's thinner let's say 5.82mm compare to a 6.00mm blade? What's the differences the pros and cons etc... Thanks!
In this era of 40++ mm ball era:
1) 9mm thickness: Meh! The ball hardly move.
2) 10mm thickness: Hmmm, just about right! Nice baby, just nice.
3) 10,5mm thickness: Hell yeah baby! Now we're talking....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
With the assumption that all things are equal except for thickness, logically speaking, the thinner one should be lighter unless the blades placed in comparison has the same material layers but the wood layers are from different tree logs which may give raise to a different in material density. Therefore, the blade with the denser material may end up heavier, which can explain why there is a range of weights for the same blade model.

Back to the topic raised, from my experience, a thinner blade will provide better feeling as the distance from the top ply to the core is shorter compared to a thicker blade. Whether the feeling is woody or carbon-like will depend on the thickness of the top ply and if it is inner or outer carbon.

Therefore, it is always best to try other ppl's blade so you can experience things for yourself

says Looking for the BH killer shot
says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
Weigth is not always related to thickness. I think the topic owner has this question, since you can get e.g. HL5 with 90g +/-1 from 5,8 to 6.1mm thickness. So the question is, what differentiates the 5.8 vs. 6.1mm in playing.

I would also tend to say the thicker one will be faster/stiffer and will support blocking/counter play much better than looping. I could also imagine, since weight is the same, that the lighter one, will be more balanced and the thicker one tends towards head heavy.

Will everyone notice the difference? I doubt as well. It needs a lot of EJing to get sensitive for these subtle changes. It is less noticeable than a change in sponge thickness (e.g going from 2.0 to max).