Questions about Japanese penhold

So i have some questions about japanese penhold. I love mine(yinhe 982), but I would like to learn more.
(one ply hinoki gang rise up!!!!)

1. how much does quality of hinoki impact the feel, touch and gameplay?
2. does thickness matter?
3. does japanese cypress hinoki and american or canadian cypress hinoki make a difference in quality or feel?
4. does the sound of the wood matter?

thanks, if there are any websites or places where I can get more info, please share! ☺️

1. Hard to quantify, but the older the wood, the better. An article written by the owner of Ariex, a brand from Taiwan http://www.cnpingpang.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=155015
2. Yes. 38mm ball era was <= 9mm. 40mm ball era was => 10mm.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
I see, thanks for the article, that was useful
So I guess my yinhe 982 is cheap, because it is not that old and the quality is just average? (it's like 70-80 years old(NEVERMIND I ONLY COUNTED ONE SIDE! So more like 140-160), not totally sure I just tried to count the rings)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I see, thanks for the article, that was useful
So I guess my yinhe 982 is cheap, because it is not that old and the quality is just average? (it's like 70-80 years old(NEVERMIND I ONLY COUNTED ONE SIDE! So more like 140-160), not totally sure I just tried to count the rings)
982 is a cheap blade (not sure if there is any cheaper out there that is so easy to get)

There are Yinhe jpen blades that cost few folds more than 982
Some of the most expensive retail blades today are Jpen Japanese Hinoki

To answer question 1.
If your level is low, even with the best equipment, your performance (feel, touch and gameplay) won't be at par compared to someone who is a semi pro and using your 982

I do suggest, getting a Japanese Hinoki blade, without breaking your bank and enjoy.
But to expect miracles, will require coaching and 1000s of hours of training with it.

982 is a cheap blade (not sure if there is any cheaper out there that is so easy to get)

To answer question 1.
If your level is low, even with the best equipment, your performance (feel, touch and gameplay) won't be at par compared to someone who is a semi pro and using your 982

I do suggest, getting a Japanese Hinoki blade, without breaking your bank and enjoy.
But to expect miracles, will require coaching and 1000s of hours of training with it.
I'd say I'm intermediate level.
I do have coaching, I train almost every day as a varsity player for school.
I can hold my own against the big guys at the club I go to (a lot of the good ones are middle aged guys who used to play at the collegiate level OR are young college varsity guys)
I'm having a lot of fun with this jpen setup, do you think getting a nice, affordable, kiso hinoki one would really level up the experience?

If you really want to try Japanese hinoki without losing an arm and a leg, look for the Double D brand in Taiwan. I own one and the feel is really similar to my legendary pre-2010 Darker Speed 90
Link, please? Sounds interesting. I know that the darker speed 90 is an excellent blade.

To answer question 1.

Do you think 982 is still decent for those getting into jpen?
this is the american hinoki one, not the juniper one (around 50 usd)

Sob sob sob.

I love Kiso Hinoki blade. I own three.

Unfortunately for me I play shakehand and hence I have limited choice of kiso hinoki blade available to purchase.

JPen players are so lucky to have more choices: Darker, BTY, Xiom etc etc.
As a cpen, I alternate whenever I feel like it!
There's always the darker speed 90 shakehand version.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
As a cpen, I alternate whenever I feel like it!
There's always the darker speed 90 shakehand version.
Yes only Darker make shakehand version of Kiso Hinoki. It is such a niche product.

Some trivia; I was put under the waiting list for nine months before I get to buy my DS90 shakehand.

But then thank god Brand Ariex came along and made me a happy happy camper. I immediately grabbed two pieces from the vendor; the first one is their regular 10mm shakehand version.

The other... he he he... a custom order 10.5mm extra large handle extra heavy version that I had to wait one month and I had it christened Gozo(tm) Avenger Mark 1.

Yes only Darker make shakehand version of Kiso Hinoki. It is such a niche product.

Some trivia; I was put under the waiting list for nine months before I get to buy my DS90 shakehand.

But then thank god Brand Ariex came along and made me a happy happy camper. I immediately grabbed two pieces from the vendor; the first one is their regular 10mm shakehand version.

The other... he he he... a custom order 10.5mm extra large handle extra heavy version that I had to wait one month and I had it christened Gozo(tm) Avenger Mark 1.
Where do you buy ariex blades from? Those seem interesting

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

mil

This user has no status.

mil

This user has no status.
Nov 2012
May I suggest two things:

- switching to a cpen adding cork
- taking a hinoki-carbon combination

You can add cork to the beginning of the handle and have the best of both worlds - the hooked forefinger grip of a jpen and the wider and two-sided blade of a cpen.

Using a blade with a hinoki outher ply and carbon beneath. I have the Donic Original Carbospeed and the feel and sound of it it unique - simply Hinoki. It is quite cheap and has tons of speed. And can be bought as a Cpen. You can add some cork and even shave the sides a little if you want it more rectangular.

May I suggest two things:

- switching to a cpen adding cork
- taking a hinoki-carbon combination

You can add cork to the beginning of the handle and have the best of both worlds - the hooked forefinger grip of a jpen and the wider and two-sided blade of a cpen.

Using a blade with a hinoki outher ply and carbon beneath. I have the Donic Original Carbospeed and the feel and sound of it it unique - simply Hinoki. It is quite cheap and has tons of speed. And can be bought as a Cpen. You can add some cork and even shave the sides a little if you want it more rectangular.
I actually already have the donic original carbospeed! It is quite nice. But I like my hurricane king 3 more, because it's thinner and flexier.
But I do agree, although stiff and quite fast, you could still get really good touch shots with the help of the hinoki. I might consider using it in the future, but I need to test it more