Recommendations for a soft controlled BH-Rubber?

This user has no status.
Hey,
i am a fairly new player who is still developing. My biggest Problem is simply making too many mistakes and really struggeling with heavy spin. Simply inconsistency.

I play with a Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC and Donic Bluefire M2 on my FH, which i am pretty happy with and want to build on it. Since i am more of a FH-dominant player i am looking for a soft and controllable BH-Rubber, which is not spin sensetive, good for receives and blocking. What ive tried already:

Bluestorm Bigslam
Bluefire M3
Butterfly Rozena

I hope yyou can recommend be a something that suits me. Thank you in advance

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Soft rubbers are usually fairly spin-sensitive; it's difficult to separate those two characteristics.

Some tried-and-tested soft rubbers that are fairly easy to control:
  • Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft
  • Xiom Vega Europe DF
  • Andro Hexer Powergrip SFX
  • Andro Hexer Grip SFX
  • Tibhar Evolution FX-S
  • Tibhar Aurus Soft

Reactions: Emonk and kindof99
This user has no status.
Soft rubbers are usually fairly spin-sensitive; it's difficult to separate those two characteristics.

Some tried-and-tested soft rubbers that are fairly easy to control:
  • Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft
  • Xiom Vega Europe DF
  • Andro Hexer Powergrip SFX
  • Andro Hexer Grip SFX
  • Tibhar Evolution FX-S
  • Tibhar Aurus Soft
So does that mean i have to look for a hard rubber instead?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2021
Hey,
i am a fairly new player who is still developing. My biggest Problem is simply making too many mistakes and really struggeling with heavy spin. Simply inconsistency.

I play with a Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC and Donic Bluefire M2 on my FH, which i am pretty happy with and want to build on it. Since i am more of a FH-dominant player i am looking for a soft and controllable BH-Rubber, which is not spin sensetive, good for receives and blocking. What ive tried already:

Bluestorm Bigslam
Bluefire M3
Butterfly Rozena

I hope yyou can recommend be a something that suits me. Thank you in advance
Try Tibhar MK FX. It’s a hybrid that grips well yet soft and not spin sensitive

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
So does that mean i have to look for a hard rubber instead?

No, it just means that you should have realistic expectations of what a softer rubber will and won't do for you.

The few I mentioned, especially the Rakza 7 Soft and Vega Euro DF, are very popular soft rubbers. They're proven performers in their category, but they're not going to play hugely differently to the three you've already tried.

The fundamental issue for you (as a "fairly new player who is still developing") isn't about one soft-to-medium BH rubber versus another soft-to-medium BH rubber—it's about learning to read and respond to incoming spin, and using a reasonably 'forgiving' setup while you're learning.

Personally, I'd suggest you might be better off with a good quality 5-ply all wood blade for a while. Any of these blades may help your development better than using a carbon blade will, at least for a while:
  • Butterfly Korbel (the European version, not the Japanese version)
  • Xiom Offensive S
  • Neottec Voodoo Classic
  • Donic Persson Powerplay (this isn't, strictly, a 5-ply blade, but it's a good option for you to consider)
  • Yasaka Sweden Extra
  • Tibhar Lebesson
It's not necessarily that your Innerforce Layer ALC is too fast for you (though it might be), it's that the presence of a reinforcing fibre 'mutes' the feedback to your hand and makes it more difficult for you to feel the difference between when you play a good shot and when you play a poor one. Basically, you'll probably learn slower with your Innerforce blade than you will with an all wood blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I am not sure why you mean by soft, controllable rubber?

The reason is if you are going for tensor, ESN rubber, then those soft rubbers have a certain amount of catapult effect. That is the way it is. For example, I have G-1 and C-1 on the my backhand right now. G-1 has harder sponge and faster top end speed, but C-1 is bouncy and easier to use, and the sponge is softer and more catapulty than G-1. I like C-1 more than G-1 on my backhand now (used to be the other way around).

I agree with Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft and Xiom Vega Europe. I would NOT touch anything in the Tibhar Revolution series because there is too much cataptult including the softest sponges in FX-S, FX-D and FX-P.

I can see how Tibhar Aurus Soft could work. I am playing with Tibhar Aurus on one of my blades right now. I can see how the soft version could be less catapulty.

I like BlueFire M2. You tried BlueFire M3. What did you not like about it?

I like Rozena. Rozena is really spin insensitive when you compare it to Tenergy or Tenergy FX. If you move from Tenergy or Tenergy FX to Rozena, you will appreciate how much more control you gain! There is a reason Rozena is the top selling rubber (not Tenergy or Dignics) in Japan for years and years (well the cheaper price also helps). What did you not like about Rozena.

If I have to give you a recommendation, I would say Rozena, Tibhar Aurus Soft and Xiom Vega Europe.

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Donic Acuda S2 (great life and very good all round attacking rubber)
Andro Hexer Powergrip SFX (good life and very good all round attacking rubber)
Tenergy 05 FX (only consider if you have well defined attack and are good with timing of the stroke)
Nittaku Fastarc C1 (little harder, but a very good rubber which can do it all)

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I have to agree with Lazer (reply #5)
Go for a slower all wood blade all or all+ rating.

ESN tensor rubbers with similar sponge hardness are all going to be pretty similar, in the same ‘ball park’ although not identical.
Everyone is different,
but generally a softer rubber on BH, harder on FH.
For example 45 degree sponge on BH, 47.5 on FH. You could go 42 degree on BH, 45 on FH it’s all personal !!
You could go for a hybrid rubber, it will have less catapult effect, but could be a bit more spin sensitive.
Everything is swings and roundabouts!!

What will trump everything is playing, being coached and practice, practice ………

This user has no status.
No, it just means that you should have realistic expectations of what a softer rubber will and won't do for you.

The few I mentioned, especially the Rakza 7 Soft and Vega Euro DF, are very popular soft rubbers. They're proven performers in their category, but they're not going to play hugely differently to the three you've already tried.

The fundamental issue for you (as a "fairly new player who is still developing") isn't about one soft-to-medium BH rubber versus another soft-to-medium BH rubber—it's about learning to read and respond to incoming spin, and using a reasonably 'forgiving' setup while you're learning.

Personally, I'd suggest you might be better off with a good quality 5-ply all wood blade for a while. Any of these blades may help your development better than using a carbon blade will, at least for a while:
  • Butterfly Korbel (the European version, not the Japanese version)
  • Xiom Offensive S
  • Neottec Voodoo Classic
  • Donic Persson Powerplay (this isn't, strictly, a 5-ply blade, but it's a good option for you to consider)
  • Yasaka Sweden Extra
  • Tibhar Lebesson
It's not necessarily that your Innerforce Layer ALC is too fast for you (though it might be), it's that the presence of a reinforcing fibre 'mutes' the feedback to your hand and makes it more difficult for you to feel the difference between when you play a good shot and when you play a poor one. Basically, you'll probably learn slower with your Innerforce blade than you will with an all wood blade.
first of all thank you for the advice, i decided to stick with the rozena on my BH simply because its feels really controlled.
I have actually tried a 5-ply wood (donic new impuls 6.5) and was really not happy, because weirdly enough i didnt get any feeling and control into the blade, every shot felt like it was just falling off.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
first of all thank you for the advice, i decided to stick with the rozena on my BH simply because its feels really controlled.
I have actually tried a 5-ply wood (donic new impuls 6.5) and was really not happy, because weirdly enough i didnt get any feeling and control into the blade, every shot felt like it was just falling off.
As far as I know, those New Impulse blades are way stiffer than the typical 5 ply, and seem to be harder as well. Choose something like the Sweden Extra (ask for a lighter weight if possible) and try that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

I think the Impuls range are all Spruce blades, aren't they? If so, they'll feel world's apart from the handful I mentioned previously—or any other Limba/Koto outer blade.

As a relatively new player, a Limba outer blade is probably going to serve you best.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
an all-wood blade should indeed be preferable when developing technique.
For BH I suggest Xiom Musa. Great control and fast and spinny with right technique.
Later you can upgrade to something like fastarc C-1.
Good luck!

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Aurus (regular Aurus, not Aurus soft) is less catapulty than Rozena.

I have not played G-1 for a while so I will reserve my comment on that one for now.
@JJ Ng,

I have just ordered a sheet of Vega Europe DF. FH I plan to use Baracuda. These rubbers will go on to my other 10mm one ply. Will I be a happy lil'lad?