Rubber for Ma Lin Ghost Serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
Then the angle is right.
I have not seen the video,but maybe try moving the bat a bit slower.
And if you try everything Der echte has said,im 101 percent sure it will be successful.
Slower? Shouldn't it be faster to generate more spin?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
At first, start with a very simple swing. Totally horizontal. Do not use wrist, do not swing bat in a semi circle. simply pull the bat back 30 cm and move it forward. Keep the bat angle the same - totally horizontal to table, so you impact the ball at 6 O'clock. This is your basic impact. Later, when you get better timing, you use more wrist and more bat speed, then later the semi circle swing.

BELIEVE what we are saying in this matter of HOW to make EFFECTIVE impact.

Don't worry about being fancy with it or sexy crazy with it. Just work on making effective impact with the right bat angle and timing. Take away all the excess moving parts in the swing and dumb it down at first. As your timing and impact get better, jazz it up with more wrist and arm snap.

You try to EVERYTHING all at the same time you will fail if the timing isn't there.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
As much as saying to slow it down doesn't seem to make sense, it does... at first when you are learning the impact.

Slow everything down.

Get rid of excess movement.

Simply everything.

Focus on making the right impact (6 O'clock right on bottom of the ball).

Use very little wrist at first.

Use a short swing, very short backswing.

Make the ball bounce high on purpose. Height control doesn't matter right now. Timing and Impact are everything at his stage.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to do in the early stages are to GET CORRECT the bat angle at IMPACT and the TIMING of it all using a very SIMPLE swing.

Once you get the feel of it and can do it consistent, then little by little use a little more wrist, a little more arm, a little faster bat speed, then later a semi circle on your swing.

Once you get those things, then you can worry about where to make your first bounce and how to control the how tight you make the serve.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Hey Tony, your friend holding the camera finally learns around :30 that he should stand on the BH side of table. (So anyone watching can see the impact needed. He should also learn how to spell TRIPOD. As EFFECTIVE IMPACT POINT as you are showing in this vid, there is really now way for a new player to discern any of it with the camera shaking worse than a Stiga ALL blade on a loop. :)

mahomedy, U can make a stable vid of this serve, right?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This is a picture sequence a Korean club owner took of me doing a basic short underspin serve.

Note that in the first several pics, you see my bat angle horizontal to the table. I keep it that way for most of the pics. I only change my bat angle to show opponent something different and correct it by impact. Often, I tilt the bat head up or down to create a direction and amount of side spin. A serve that is pure chop is very easy to read.

Note by backswing even in my match version of serve is not very much, barely 15-20 cm.

I use wrist right before impact and I can time it. I can also control my bat angle, where and how I impact the ball and placement of my first bounce to make the serve anything from side-under to knuckle to side tops with any kind of depth, break, pace, and placement.

In this serve, I am doing a real easy to spot side-under spin. I am not trying to fool anyone on that serve in these pics.

http://cafe438.daum.net/_c21_/bbs_s...enc=&q=&nil_profile=cafetop&nil_menu=sch_updw

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You can also see I impacted the ball ABOVE the height of the net. What you do not see is this serve is a tight serve that is low enough to discourage an aggressive receive and the second bounce would land deep near area of center line.

There are many possible impact points to make a ball do something. My basic impact height is above the net. I can make a consistent safe and tight short serve from that impact height. (Several cm above net height)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Hey Tony, your friend holding the camera finally learns around :30 that he should stand on the BH side of table. (So anyone watching can see the impact needed. He should also learn how to spell TRIPOD. As EFFECTIVE IMPACT POINT as you are showing in this vid, there is really now way for a new player to discern any of it with the camera shaking worse than a Stiga ALL blade on a loop. :)

mahomedy, U can make a stable vid of this serve, right?

If i had a camera on a tripod,i could have tried.however,whatever videos i have of me playing were taken using a phone camera,and Tony's camera man would seem a qualified photographer next to mine
:p