Rule Approved! New colour rubbers as of 2020!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Not really, you can always start developing products before a rule is approved. Feel free to speculate what the C may stand for. Use your imagination :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Not really, you can always start developing products before a rule is approved. Feel free to speculate what the C may stand for. Use your imagination :)

I'm not saying the development of products must be after a rule is being approved... I'm only saying the product name (or product release) shouldn't reference a new rule or regulation before the regulation has been approved, that's false advertisement.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
You are absoulutely right about false advertisment, but it has never been referenced at any time. And by 2020 you may give it a new meaning, or even start saying... hey, it also means colour and there will be nothing wrong with that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

On a german forum there have been speculations that it might stand for chinese while others have speculated it just could be that they had different variations of T09 like T09A, T09B and so on but only T09C has made it beyond prototype status.
I guess we won't really know before it hits the markets.
;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
You are absoulutely right about false advertisment, but it has never been referenced at any time. And by 2020 you may give it a new meaning, or even start saying... hey, it also means colour and there will be nothing wrong with that.

Exactly, that's why it can't mean color right now, it might be the case like "oh, and it just happens to be" but it's not the case now, which is all I've been saying.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I agree, but as Andy wrote, I think this might be challenging but not unsolvable.

Anyhow, to me this seems rather to be the concerns of sellers and manufacturers and not so much the concerns of players and customers.
come on now mate, who's paying for the concerns and extra hassle of manufacturers and sellers? You and me is who. Not unsolvable it is, but why even bother solving a non-issue? This change, I feel, has been pushed by the manufacturers who see it as an oportunity to charge people more while barely increasing the costs. What's gonna happen is there'll be rubbers in certain colours that are gonna be made artificially "exclusive" for absolutely no reason and people will hunt them for their rarity.

Reactions: Suga D
My view: The fact that additional colors will be allowed does not mean manufacturers will be forced to produce them, retailers to stock all the colors, or consumers to buy them. Everyone has a choice and usually choice is a good thing.

Colors that don't sell so well might get discounted, and black might get more expensive because of the increased demand. We might see sponsors imposing some flashy colors to pro players to boost sales, this happens already in other sports.

There can also be a component of promoting the sport by making it more visually appealing - to children, girls and watching the competitions on TV. It also allows players to "personalize" their rackets.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Colors that don't sell so well might get discounted

i don't think you'll be buying colors. You'll be buying rubbers, with some rubbers being available in a single color only (H3 National BS, for example), many others in black and a bright color. That bright color will typically be red, if by the power of habits and customs only -- but some vendors may try to put some rubbers in the spotlights by choosing distinctive colors.

That's what I think. I think it's too easy to just assume that all (or even most) rubbers will be available all over the rainbow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
come on now mate, who's paying for the concerns and extra hassle of manufacturers and sellers? You and me is who. Not unsolvable it is, but why even bother solving a non-issue? This change, I feel, has been pushed by the manufacturers who see it as an oportunity to charge people more while barely increasing the costs. What's gonna happen is there'll be rubbers in certain colours that are gonna be made artificially "exclusive" for absolutely no reason and people will hunt them for their rarity.

Mmmm... that baseless assumption is a stubborn one. Let's wait and see how far manufacturers are ready to go in what would amount to a footshooting contest.

I don't know if baseless is the word one should use talking about the opinions of people that have the expertise on exactly the issue we're discussing. I'm no one to question their authority.

Atas,

Even if my previous posts might consider otherwise I actually appreciate the expertise of someone that offers a different view on things. I did not so much appreciate the name calling and the other stuff but that's another story.
And as I've written before, there are shop owners that don't see this so negatively, I've spoken to one.
But as I said: i would consider this as a logistical challenge that could quite easily be solved like Andy and yoass already wrote.
And again price increasement has also happened without significant rule changes, so I think this argument isn't really a thing, plus the customers also do have some power if like for instance durability should become an issue.
And manufacturers will have to deal with that or not.

I personally somehow understand the scepticism towards any kind of changes after the catastrophical introduction of plastic balls, but that doesn't make me dismiss all changes in general. I think the eleven points rule was a real winner for our sport, also welcome was the speedglue ban, so not every change is as terrible as the ball change has been.

Actually scepticism isn't a bad thing per se, but one should keep things in perspective and don't overexagerrate some worries and negative predictions.

If people would be more sceptical with all the other stuff they keep buying i think the world probably would be a much better place.

Imagine only black and red jerseys would be allowed because of the contrast to the ball and then someone would say blue jerseys are much better for contrast and would want to 'legalize' other colours as well. Wonder if people would argument the same way.

Anyhow in this case it was actually just a thought to try this out for a certain testing period that according to Dan's Podcast with Thomas Weikert won't even be happening before 2020 olympics.

So all this scepticism sounds a little too negative and farfetched to me, and after all this rather looks like small potatoes to me.

Last edited:
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I don't know if baseless is the word one should use talking about the opinions of people that have the expertise on exactly the issue we're discussing. I'm no one to question their authority.

Sorry if I gave offense. It was not intended to do so.

I called this conclusion jumped too baseless, because it is, as of yet, entirely unsubstantiated.

That’s why I proposed, fully respecting the fears and second thoughts voiced by quite a few, to wait and see how this pans out — rather than to head for the trenches before knowing the enemy position.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Don't think it is, we know that T09C is already used by some pro players, but the rule won't take effect till after Tokyo Olympics, so the C can't be color since it will still be only available in black/red (for now), it won't make sense to name a product that is available right now with a feature that is only available in the future.

Then it would make sense if they use the name AFTER the rule take effect, not before. It's like I'm buying a new smartphone and in the name it says 5G, but then it says sorry but the phone doesn't actually supports 5G, but we do support 5G with the models that's coming out next year, that's called false advertisement at the least.

I think you may have missed that those comments were a joke.

Reactions: whocarez and Suga D