Rule Approved! New colour rubbers as of 2020!

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
WE NEED MORE YOUNG LADIES FOR THE SPORT.

Young lassies would like colourful rubber things, other than in plain RED/.
Marketing studies suggest woman always prefer colourful condoms, colourful socks, colourful lipsticks and suchlikes/

Got me all horny now...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think a lot of you didn't take into consideration that yes, the brands can choose the colour, but the moment they choose 1 extra colour. There is a min order quantity to be able to produce say Purple.
and purple in Max, 1.9mm, 1.7mm. That is 3 article numbers.

If the brand does not sell x quantity (this is in the thousands, i would say 5000 to 10000), they cannot break even.

Its business math/profits at the end of the day.
So this all related to cost of production.

You can't just say, hey, let us try purple, if it doesn't work ,we can just go to another colour
It is not as simple as shirt colour / fabric that can be dyed or in a way reused.
If say Andro made a lost on Purple.
who will fit the bill? you think they will just write it off, or will they need to increase the price somewhere?
I've seen it over the years, only 1 segment of this supply chain will fit the bill - the consumers

aging stock/shelf life is going to be a problem
breaking even will be a problem
too many article no (going with too many models with many many colours) will be a huge business risk, as the market is full of uncertainty.

As I said before - there has been no survey, nothing. And these board room gods voted to decide this is for the best of the sport.
I am yet to get the "sales pitch" that convince the delegates to approve this change

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
The manufacturers will take a conservative approach. They will offer a new color in an inexpensive rubber, then if it is popular, they will offer it in their other rubbers too.

This would make sense to a degree. I don´t think companies have a lot money to burn, so they must make smart moves.
I could imagine they might even try it out with a rather cheaper pips rubber or smth that might only come in 1 sponge thickness or maybe two.

My guess is also that the bigger shops rather wait for the customer preorders before ordering in bulk. See, where there is a will there is a way. And more diversity might indeed be more appealing to little girls that are becoming less and less in our sport nowadays. Igor might have a point there.

Anway... Hard to imagine that manufacturers would be aiming for what yoass called a "footshooting contest".

But like you written in a different thread: time alone will tell!
[Emoji6]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I.e. MX-P comes in Black/Red, EL-S Black/Blue, MX-S Black/Yellow etc.
Users will still be limited to 2 colours per model.

Black/Blue or Dark Pink would technically make the most sense, since the darker colored rubbers are harder and more stable.
But the new rulebook explicitly says that the non-black color must be light, and needs to be approved.
so probably no old eggplant neither. (as with the old Friendship 729 rubbers).
technically the best decision still is red then, red is the darkest light color after all.
so I don't expect much changes with the pro's, just some random hipsters using something more rainbow fancy.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Tony is coming from a position of worry, and he fears the absolute worst will happen. I can understand why - he has a business to run - but it's a really pessimistic view of the situation. I agree with you that the vendors will be aware that flooding the market with colour variants will cause issues for smaller stores like Tony's, so it's unlikely to go down that way. We're more likely to see new product lines having specific colour topsheets assigned to them, which stores would be carrying anyway.

Andy, (and anyone else with the consumer only blind look)

Forecasting and decisively managing risk is uber important for businesses of all levels. It takes judgment and common sense, plus market-specific knowledge and analytical skills to do that. Experience helps too. If a business fails to see a risk and doesn't take the right action early, it is gunna be wiped out. Every business owner or manager who gives a crap about his/her business or the management position responsibilities who performs said analysis and DOESN'T show concerns for risks out of one's control is gunna go down with the Titanic.

Tony is quite justified as a medium small business owner. He is in one of the worst risky positions to be blindly adjusting his inventory and pulling another 50-75% of the cost his inventory as a re-investment in his business real sudden like in an increased volatile market place with a like net expected return of less than acceptable.

I doubt he can slip on an examination glove, ram it up his backside, and extract that kind of capital in a hurry. Borrowing is his only real option to get that capital... and many businesses like his are not in a financial position to add that level and debt and interest with putting serious pressure on month to month business performance. A bad month or two under those circumstances could wipe him out totally.

Failing to add that kind of inventory has other risks too, like losing business to others... which puts the same month to month pressure on him.

Tony and small to medium outfits like him have a lot to be concerned about.

Tony and others could mitigate that risk by ordering on demand only... but that costs a lot per unit given shipping.

A similar strategy is ordering only a month worth per order... but that has risks and increased unit costs too. Small quantity ordering both national and international delivery is a large percentage of the total cost... unacceptably high and very inefficient. The shops offering free shipping on larger orders are essentially splitting the shipping cost with the consumer.

Like Tony said, eventually, this increased risk and higher overhead rate will add to prices somewhere/somehow... or everyone gets out of the industry.

That last piece should also concern consumers too. Once any industry gets more consolidated, we have less competition and higher prices/crappier service/lower quality.

Reactions: Atas Newton
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Table Tennis manufacturers have similar risks to be concerned with as well. They are in a better position than a vendor, but not by much. They do not have a bunch of other lines of business income to spread out a risk or stabilize it. I do not think it would be Willy-Nilly free for all manufacturing rat-race to speed to market every possible color right away.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Der_echte,
Of the years I'm on different forum platforms, most forum members are fans (and not really in the semi professional space of coaches, community leaders, club owners, businesses etc) and the number one priority is for self fulfillment in the game (yes, they might help each other, some might be semi professional space) - for example, they don't care about where they buy - as long as it is the cheapest. Or they can afford it so it doesn't matter if the next rubber is 100USD, if the kid in the club can't, not his/her problem.

Mean while, I have been encouraging people to buy local, so the sales can contribute locally and the "marketing support" from brands can come back to your local country.

I know how the system works. I'm not just a consumer or fan, I'm looking at the bigger picture of development.
Heck, most of my profits are given to communities, coaches. I could easily make double the profit as I do have a form of monopoly in South Africa. But since Table Tennis for me is my passion and I have other forms of businesses to keep me afloat, I am in it with a development heart and not purely for profit heart.

Why I say you should support your market and look at the bigger picture is like if one does not pay tax in the country you live, and you choose to give it to your neighboring country - they get all the perks while you on the other side don't understand why there is no perks in your local country.

Lucky, my business won't be heavily effect like you stated in this rainbow nonse.
I am lucky where I don't need to order by MOQ (boxes of 25 rubbers per model/colour/size), I order way less - thus lower risk. But I am stating even if I order like I will before - my cost would go up because I foresee the brands increasing a % to fit in this rainbow stategy.

From my initial explanation on how production work (vendor/manufacturer, and not sellers like me and you), there seem to still be confusion.

These brands can't just release 1 model of a new colour to test out. It makes no financial sense, no sales sense, no marketing senes.
If such sense makes it possible in the first place - they will not have so many models - as to me that is shooting themselves in the foot or burning money...

Lets take Butterfly as an example.
If they have Tenergy, there is like how many models inside the Tenergy family? 8 models, and with a potential of 2 to 3 sizes each - that is 16 to 24 models.
So which one do they pick to introduce a pink topsheet? or they do it to all 8, but only 1 size, or does it need to be 16?

Or do they bring out a new model (way more costs) and have one colour there?
But what is such specs is not welcomed by consumer?
Or they can do it based on a old rubber like Sriver - but who will use Sriver nowadays?

Or lets take Stiga unreleased rubber - "???", which has H M and S options x 3, that is 9 models. Which one do they go with say green?, all 9?

The companies will obviously need to form a sales/marketing/production strategy to this rainbow issue.
I see this as business insanity, as I don't foresee a huge market percentage giving a fuss about using more colours, but companies will need to avail them self (and resources) to go this route.

It will cost money to go this route and profit return won't be there (thus unnecessary risk taking) - unless I am wrong with the unknown surveys which says going rainbow colour will be the fix to the problem and with that we will have more females in the sport and its the solution to get more basement players to becomes proper members.....

I don't know what they want to fix, and I don't know what the reason of the rainbow colour idea, and exactly how small this market is.

I guess Apple also shot themselves in the foot (but they have a lot of money to burn, some guys are right, our TT brands, or rather TT consumers, don't have a lot of money to burn)

Reactions: Der_Echte and JST
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
The manufacturers will take a conservative approach. They will offer a new color in an inexpensive rubber, then if it is popular, they will offer it in their other rubbers too.

Yes, I think that should be a case. They will choose different color for their high end rubber to distinguish it from the more affordable ones and users will be able to show off :) (disclaimer: not applicable to all :)

Also not sure if making a different rubber color is that expensive.. (though I am not an expert in rubber making at all.) I think rubbers are made in batches and the process starts by mixing the ingredients and adding a colorant, mixing, baking, cooling and repeating by mixing another batch.... So in that case it is just the question of adding one colorant instead of another and that does not sound expensive at all...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes, I think that should be a case. They will choose different color for their high end rubber to distinguish it from the more affordable ones and users will be able to show off :) (disclaimer: not applicable to all :)

Also not sure if making a different rubber color is that expensive.. (though I am not an expert in rubber making at all.) I think rubbers are made in batches and the process starts by mixing the ingredients and adding a colorant, mixing, baking, cooling and repeating by mixing another batch.... So in that case it is just the question of adding one colorant instead of another and that does not sound expensive at all...

Don't get me wrong, making colourful rubbers is very very easy.
However there is a cost to it as you can't just make 20 rubbers, it needs to be in the thousands.

I have a blue rubber with me, will take a photo

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
blue colour.jpg

Reactions: JST and Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Lovely color, Tony.

The one thing I absolutely can't wait to see is the forum discussions on what colors are the most tacky and grippy, which give you more control, which last longer and what color best complements the qualities of this carbon 7-ply blade I got :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Lovely color, Tony.

The one thing I absolutely can't wait to see is the forum discussions on what colors are the most tacky and grippy, which give you more control, which last longer and what color best complements the qualities of this carbon 7-ply blade I got :)

This new Blue Sponge, Blue colour H3 NEO that they making, with MA Long customised sponge, stock coming soon - pay your bitcoin deposit now.