SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Interesting head shape. How does it compare to a "standard" head shape? Supposedly bigger sweet spot?
The idea of the head shape was to mimic a traditional Jpen blade, but in shakehand grip. It also provides a lower balance because it concentrates more mass in the bottom. I'm not comment on the sweetspot because I haven't made an objective comparison between shapes. The blades do have a nice sweetspot, compared to others with this composition, but that's more related to the construction rather than the shape.

Reactions: hclnnkhg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
An Off- blade with a woody feeling and a loud sound.

Available FS.

- Limba / Spectra / Ayous / Ayous / Ayous / Spectra / Limba
- 88.0g
- 6.0mm
- 157x150mm
- ST (101x28x23.5mm)
- 1315Hz
- Balance: 2.9cm (Low/Med)

744-1.jpg

744-2.jpg

744-3.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
@hipnotic, have you ever worked with pear wood?
According to the numbers I could find it seems to be hard without being stiff.
I could imagine cool compositions, for example using this as a medial ply (Framiré-Pear-Ayous-SAC-Ayous-Pear-Framiré).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
The blades looks very good. I would like to know how similar are the clone blades compared wirh an original ... for example I'm interested in a w968.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
The blades looks very good. I would like to know how similar are the clone blades compared wirh an original ... for example I'm interested in a w968.
I played with tb alc 85 g, then I played with sdc tb alc clone 87g. It was a little bit different. It has some kind of muted feel, took me around 5 trainings to get more speed out of it than from my tb alc, but it been more stable in down the line shots. Ended up getting another tb alc 89-90g. For me tb alc clone was better than 85 g tb alc (despite muted feel) , but worse than 89g

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
@hipnotic, have you ever worked with pear wood?
According to the numbers I could find it seems to be hard without being stiff.
I could imagine cool compositions, for example using this as a medial ply (Framiré-Pear-Ayous-SAC-Ayous-Pear-Framiré).

Yes, it seems interesting, but I have never worked with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

Well, I don't like calling them clones, that would imply that I know everything about their building process, which I don't. That would be like going to Ferrari, and ask them to build you a Porsche. What you have is my interpretation of those compositions, and naturally, some will be closer to the original than others.

Reactions: latej and Haraold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Presenting a new fiber: Izanas-Carbon. Izanas, just like Spectra, is a UHMWPE (Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene), but here it is combined with carbon to offer more speed and a bigger sweetspot, while keeping a low weight. Playing wise it offers a crisp, but relatively soft touch, something between ALC and ZLC.

Available FS.

- Koto / IZ-C / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / IZ-C / Koto
- 89.5g
- 5.9mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (101x25-23mm)
- 1442Hz
- Balance: 2.1cm (Very Low)

740-1.jpg

740-2.jpg

740-3.jpg

740-4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
A relatively thin 7 ply blade, with a thick horizontal core and thinner outer layers, not usual for this type of blade. Not a very fast blade, but good stability and sweetspot for its speed class.

Available FS.

- Okume / 5x Ayous / Okume
- 85.3g
- 5.9mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (101x24mm)
- 1076Hz
- Balance: 2.6cm (Low)

673-1.jpg

673-2.jpg

673-3.jpg

A relatively thin 7 ply blade, with a thick horizontal core and thinner outer layers, not usual for this type of blade. Not a very fast blade, but good stability and sweetspot for its speed class.

Available FS.

- Okume / 5x Ayous / Okume
- 85.3g
- 5.9mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (101x24mm)
- 1076Hz

673-1.jpg

673-2.jpg

673-3.jpg
Really nice pattern on the front of the blade. Is it usual with Okume ?
It looks like there's waves in the wood !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
An Asymmetry blade with a W968 forehand side and a crispy Koto/SALC backhand.

Available FS.

- Limba / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / Ayous / SALC / Koto
- 91.3g
- 5.9mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (101x25-23mm)
- 1380Hz
- Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

721-1.jpg

721-2.jpg

721-4.jpg

721-3.jpg
Damn that one makes me curious af. The only thing that would bother me probably would be the lower balance. If that would get too headheavy with rubbers i definitly couldnt handle such a blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Really nice pattern on the front of the blade. Is it usual with Okume ?
It looks like there's waves in the wood !
Sorry JM, totally missed this.

It is not usual with Okume at all, I had never seen it before too, but I have a small stock of these veneers. It is more usual with other wood types like Maple.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Damn that one makes me curious af. The only thing that would bother me probably would be the lower balance. If that would get too headheavy with rubbers i definitly couldnt handle such a blade.
I think you are getting this the other way around. The low balance means that it's more handle heavy, not head heavy.

Reactions: Attitude
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Sorry JM, totally missed this.

It is not usual with Okume at all, I had never seen it before too, but I have a small stock of these veneers. It is more usual with other wood types like Maple.

I also really appreciate the aesthetics of that wave pattern. Looks great.

But I've also wondered about grain patterns on blades affect on gameplay. If they are too irregluar, does this affect the consistency/inconsistency of the contact point at all?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I also really appreciate the aesthetics of that wave pattern. Looks great.

But I've also wondered about grain patterns on blades affect on gameplay. If they are too irregluar, does this affect the consistency/inconsistency of the contact point at all?
Only in extreme cases. If you have something like a burl wood veneer, they are essentially knots, which are much harder than the surrounding wood. In this case it's just a visual pattern, the density is pretty consistent. The same with black Limba, except for some cases where the dark areas are softer than the white ones, the density is regular enough not to cause inconsistency in the contact point.

This user has no status.
Really liked the look of the blade with the Smoked Eucalyptus outers! Ditto the Japanese blades with the square upper profile and fatter bottom third -- good job! 🙂 The last two actually remind me a lot of a blade I make that has Vic Ash outers - your version however is far more angular and looks awesome.

If you like trying out eucalypts in a blade, I strongly suggest you give Queensland Walnut a try as an outer ply -- it's not a true walnut, and it's not cheap stuff to buy... but looks highly similar to walnut, It's just gorgeous wood, and makes for a bloody fantastic outer ply on a blade! Hard, stiff and with a really lovely super-crisp feeling to it. 😁😁 Teams brilliantly with harder, faster, chinese-style rubbers like a H3, B2 or a Loki Rxton 3 in Blue topsheet (Pardon the fanboi rant, but Aussie TT woods are very much my thing, and you had me drooling with that smoked eucalyptus number).

Great work -- respect! 👍 Keep it up.

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This is an attempt to make an all-wood version of a TB ALC, so it has the same basic construction, except for a thin layer of Maple wood instead of ALC, using only epoxy glue. The feeling is crisp and slightly hard, with a medium low trajectory, most suited for close to the table play.

Available FS.

- Koto / Maple / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Maple / Koto
- 85.5g
- 5.8mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (102x25-23mm)
-1291Hz

695-1.jpg

695-2.jpg

695-3.jpg