Short pimple recommendations

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Hi, im thinking of making the transition from smooth rubber (Tibhar mx-p) to a short pimple. I will explain my playstyle, and if you don't think it suits me you can say because when my mx-p goes flat i will replace it with another inverted rubber.
My playstyle focuses on forehand loops, and blocking and letting the opponent hit the ball out. I also like to use positioning to my advantage and was looking at short pimples because it still keep most qualities of a backhand, but it is harder to loop and generate topspin, i thought this would be good for me since i don't backhand loop that often.
I also heard that it has some have a slight disruption effect that will leave the ball floating and dip with no spin on table.
Are there any short pimple reccomendations? I was looking at Der Materialspezialist Spinfire, and Victas VO > 102.
Also, what is the difference between playstyles with horizontal and vertical alignments.
And how do you clean it, (if you even need to). How long do they last?

Thanks in advance

Edit: i've been looking at the Dr.Neubauer Killer, which is a short/medium pimple with a lot of reversal and deception but not much control. Is there any medium or short pimple rubber with control and deception?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Hi, im thinking of making the transition from smooth rubber (Tibhar mx-p) to a short pimple. I will explain my playstyle, and if you don't think it suits me you can say because when my mx-p goes flat i will replace it with another inverted rubber.
My playstyle focuses on forehand loops, and blocking and letting the opponent hit the ball out. I also like to use positioning to my advantage and was looking at short pimples because it still keep most qualities of a backhand, but it is harder to loop and generate topspin, i thought this would be good for me since i don't backhand loop that often.
I also heard that it has some have a slight disruption effect that will leave the ball floating and dip with no spin on table.
Are there any short pimple reccomendations? I was looking at Der Materialspezialist Spinfire, and Victas VO > 102.
Also, what is the difference between playstyles with horizontal and vertical alignments.
And how do you clean it, (if you even need to). How long do they last?

Thanks in advance

Edit: i've been looking at the Dr.Neubauer Killer, which is a short/medium pimple with a lot of reversal and deception but not much control. Is there any medium or short pimple rubber with control and deception?
The learning curve for most MPs is comparatively higher; more so, for rubbers such as Killer, and KO.

Spinlord Keiler, on the other hand offers a higher degree of control, with a wee bit of deception.

However, I'd suggest starting off with some cheaper MP, such as Friendship 563, or Yinhe Pluto, or Dawei 388C-1. Once you figure out how to play, and if you want to continue with MP, then you could switch to some DMS, Dr.N etc.

Same with SP... Start off with something like friendship 802-40, or Yinhe Uranus, or Dawei 388B-1

Reactions: Giovanni Greco
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
I have bee playing with Spinfire 1.9 for about a month and really like it. Spinny enough to loop well, but short pippy enough to flat hit.
Does it have any deception like wobbly balls or skid shots?

The learning curve for most MPs is comparatively higher; more so, for rubbers such as Killer, and KO.

Spinlord Keiler, on the other hand offers a higher degree of control, with a wee bit of deception.

However, I'd suggest starting off with some cheaper MP, such as Friendship 563, or Yinhe Pluto, or Dawei 388C-1. Once you figure out how to play, and if you want to continue with MP, then you could switch to some DMS, Dr.N etc.

Same with SP... Start off with something like friendship 802-40, or Yinhe Uranus, or Dawei 388B-1
Thanks, i have a clubmate who is letting me try their shortpimples, and i have tried long pimples they're pretty hard to control. It was yasaka phantom 0011. The shortpimples im playtesting are Rakza PO

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
SPs are not typically meant for deception, though some can produce skiddy balls on certain shots.. Some SPs, in thinner sponge, may be a bit more deceptive..

I've played just once, for a couple of minutes, with Spinfire, in max thickness... I could play a lot of inverted-like strokes with it.. That's all I can say about it..Not tried PO ..

In my opinion, speed, control and disruption will be heavily interlinked.
As in, a fast pip with a lot of control will not be very deceptive (andro blowfish for example).
If you want more disruption, you will safrifice either control (killer pro) or speed (dr neubauer KO medium pip).

Personally I'm a huge fan of the Dr Neubauer Killer series. I embrace the high disruptive effect and realize that I will lose some speed and/or control.
The Killers series comes in a range of 5 different sponge hardnesses (35° - 45°). Each of them will show a nuance in the combination of speed-control-disruption.

Good luck!

I'm now using Palio WP 1013 Medium PIps 1.5mm sponge I love looping I practice at my club with a very good chopper and have never had more consistency than right now !!!! I'm improving every week!!! Blocking with the WP 1013 is brilliant as by just relaxing your grip you give really nasty balls to your opponent!!! I can't believe more players who use short pimples don't give medium pimples a try as they have so many more possibilities than short pimples!!! That's my opinion for what it's worth lol 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Giovanni Greco
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
One thing to consider is how far away are you usually when you play. If you use SP, usually you will stay close to the table, and sometimes go to mid-table (~1m away). So if you like to loop with FH far away from the table (2m +), then both sides will have very different rhythms and it may take some work to sort that out.

I'm now using Palio WP 1013 Medium PIps 1.5mm sponge I love looping I practice at my club with a very good chopper and have never had more consistency than right now !!!! I'm improving every week!!! Blocking with the WP 1013 is brilliant as by just relaxing your grip you give really nasty balls to your opponent!!! I can't believe more players who use short pimples don't give medium pimples a try as they have so many more possibilities than short pimples!!! That's my opinion for what it's worth lol 🤣🤣🤣
Just to say I use my pimples on my B.H

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013

Thanks, i have a clubmate who is letting me try their shortpimples, and i have tried long pimples they're pretty hard to control. It was yasaka phantom 0011. The shortpimples im playtesting are Rakza PO
Not too much of a wobbly effect. Just gives you lots of options of how to hit a ball.