Should I give up using tensor on backhand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
When I started playing TT again 2 years ago I had the impression that top players use sticky forehand and tensor backhand as the ideal setup. In the past, many top Chinese players used this setup. Even Emratich often teaches that players should use tensor rubber on BH to make up for the lack of swing power.

But through various match play, I'm coming to find that tacky Chinese rubber actually plays better on bh. There is a huge enhancement of push quality, opening loop grip, and return with the tacky bh rubber. The overall control, execution, and dwell time feels better. There is a small decrease in the quality of blocks, and drive shots are slightly slower. But these feel like only minor price to pay for the enhanced areas.

Am I crazy? Anybody else find success switching from tensor to tacky on the backhand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
When I started playing TT again 2 years ago I had the impression that top players use sticky forehand and tensor backhand as the ideal setup. In the past, many top Chinese players used this setup. Even Emratich often teaches that players should use tensor rubber on BH to make up for the lack of swing power.

But through various match play, I'm coming to find that tacky Chinese rubber actually plays better on bh. There is a huge enhancement of push quality, opening loop grip, and return with the tacky bh rubber. The overall control, execution, and dwell time feels better. There is a small decrease in the quality of blocks, and drive shots are slightly slower. But these feel like only minor price to pay for the enhanced areas.

Am I crazy? Anybody else find success switching from tensor to tacky on the backhand?
Agree. You should use what is most comfortable for you. Your body and your play results speak louder than any feedback you get from the forum.

Ma Long is known to use Hurricane on the backhand as well. Someone did a time line of his equipment over the years. It looked like he used to use Butterfly on the backhand but change to Hurricane 3 37 degree on the backhand many years ago.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
But these feel like only minor price to pay for the enhanced areas
Sounds like you've basically made up your mind already. During the cell ball era I had the most success using vanilla 729 on both sides, and with all the new development for these performance tacky rubbers, they are more bh-friendly than ever.

But you should probably change your username 😂
This is tacky Tensor erasure 😂

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

Bye bye beautiful backhand.

Reactions: blahness
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
It's quite ok, but it's all in the wrist anyway :)
I got Big Dipper 41 degree from BEO store on Aliexpress. Do you recommend me giving it another shot but 38 degree only?

I don't know how to describe. It is not a very catapulty rubber (I don't expect it to be like ESN rubber) but not as tacky as Hurricane so I don't want to use it on my forehand. I might consider using it on my backhand.

I am curious about your thoughts.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023

I had similar thoughts as well. I currently use Dignics 05 on my BH (grippy tensor, low arc) and D09C on my FH (slightly tacky, very grippy hybrid, hard sponge but feels relatively soft). For fun, I tried using D09C on BH instead for a few minutes, and there was a good differnece between the two. Ofcourse, 09C had a much higher arc, but I found it to be spinnier than the D05 for some reason. I haven't tried the short touch game as you mentioned yet... looking forward to it in today's session.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I got Big Dipper 41 degree from BEO store on Aliexpress. Do you recommend me giving it another shot but 38 degree only?

I don't know how to describe. It is not a very catapulty rubber (I don't expect it to be like ESN rubber) but not as tacky as Hurricane so I don't want to use it on my forehand. I might consider using it on my backhand.

I am curious about your thoughts.
I think it's only available in 38/39/40deg. Is it 40deg perhaps? Anyway. Big Dipper has quite a difference between their sponge hardness and the 38deg works good on both forehand and backhand for me, but is a bit soft when hitting really hard loops. The 39deg is a much more offensive rubber and it's much harder to use on backhand, but is really nice on forehand. I've tried the 40deg some years ago, but I never got as much spin out of it compared to the softer ones. Perhaps it's the harder sponge that doesn't combine so good with my playing style and the more elastic top sheet.

I would say that Big Dipper 38deg is an easier to use rubber for your backhand than for example H3 NEO 37deg, mainly (I think) because of the more elastic top sheet.

Reactions: NextLevel and JJ Ng