Should I give up using tensor on backhand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I think it's only available in 38/39/40deg. Is it 40deg perhaps? Anyway. Big Dipper has quite a difference between their sponge hardness and the 38deg works good on both forehand and backhand for me, but is a bit soft when hitting really hard loops. The 39deg is a much more offensive rubber and it's much harder to use on backhand, but is really nice on forehand. I've tried the 40deg some years ago, but I never got as much spin out of it compared to the softer ones. Perhaps it's the harder sponge that doesn't combine so good with my playing style and the more elastic top sheet.

I would say that Big Dipper 38deg is an easier to use rubber for your backhand than for example H3 NEO 37deg, mainly (I think) because of the more elastic top sheet.
Got it. Thanks for your feedback. Yes I got 40 deg (not 41 deg) Big Dipper. Yes I agree. 40 deg is too hard. I could not get much spin out of it. I will consider trying Big Dipper 38 deg later!

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
I am currently using H3 37-38 neo 2 layers tuned on backhand. It has a little more dwell time. I have more feel on my hand. The only different is the block, your hand movement must going more forward. If you get use to it, you have more feeling on your shot. When you have more feel, you will be a lot more confident in the game. It not crazy

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Am I crazy? Anybody else find success switching from tensor to tacky on the backhand?

I also tried so many tensor rubbers on my BH from Hexer Duro (first months after I got back to TT), Vega Pro, Vega Asia, FastArc G1/C1, BlueStorm Z2, V>11 to V>15 and what not but switched to H3 37 1) for the same reasons:
better short game and opening loops/flicks to setup a point and more stability when going full in. Blocking is definitely not the best especially with heavily boosted H3 37 but this forces me to play a bit more active which is not bad either.

1) and H8-80 but currently trying some other tacky rubbers (B3, Dragon F/L, maybe Glayzer 09C again) because of https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/h3-not-so-tacky.31506/ not only are these newer H3s less tacky but they also grip the ball not as well as the older ones.

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Unless I missed it somehow, I am waiting for someone to tell the OP he would have to change his TTD screen name if he stops using a Tensor rubber on the BH as the main reason to keep the Tensor rubber on the BH...
If not already taken, I recommend the technology neutral screen name: EJForever.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I am testing the Pin yi blue sponge rubber after seeing it on TT Gans channel.
The hard version with 2 layers seamoon.
I wouldnt call it a tensor but it behaves like one and so far it fits pretty well.
Its a little to medium tacky.
Similar to Loki Arthur China but more springyness.
Right now softer FH rubbers and harder BH feels good.

Also I cant play with a tensor on FH either anymore.

Grip and feeling is probably the most important thing on BH.
(for me at least)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
When I started playing TT again 2 years ago I had the impression that top players use sticky forehand and tensor backhand as the ideal setup. In the past, many top Chinese players used this setup. Even Emratich often teaches that players should use tensor rubber on BH to make up for the lack of swing power.

But through various match play, I'm coming to find that tacky Chinese rubber actually plays better on bh. There is a huge enhancement of push quality, opening loop grip, and return with the tacky bh rubber. The overall control, execution, and dwell time feels better. There is a small decrease in the quality of blocks, and drive shots are slightly slower. But these feel like only minor price to pay for the enhanced areas.

Am I crazy? Anybody else find success switching from tensor to tacky on the backhand?
maybe try hybrid bh, thats what im hinting towards...

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
maybe try hybrid bh, thats what im hinting towards...
Don't even think about using K1 Hybrid on the BH, man you gotta work so hard to produce any measurable spin... and after 2 weeks when the tuner effect is gone, it is worse than anti.

This bold statement has been reviewed and endorsed by Sergey.

• Haha
Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Don't even think about using K1 Hybrid on the BH, man you gotta work so hard to produce any measurable spin... and after 2 weeks when the tuner effect is gone, it is worse than anti.

This bold statement has been reviewed and endorsed by Sergey.
I have a Tibhar Hybrid K1 European Version red. It is still tackier than most ESN rubbers but yes that tackiest wears off quickly. It is also not bouncy after a couple weeks. I would rather get any of the Evolution rubbers than K1.

Now K3, I am a bit intrigued by that. But at that price point, I can buy at least 2 sheets of hurricane.

says Feel the ball first.
says Feel the ball first.
Oct 2022
I've recently tried a tacky rubber on BH, great control and wonderful openings in topspin against backspin, I felt I couldn't miss the opening loops on BH. Also, a good player I met at a tournament told me he would put a glazyer 09C on BH for the upcoming season telling me the same reasons explained by OP.

Therefore, I'd like to explore this trend, so I'm gonna put a Rakza Z 2.0 on my backhand and try it. Rakza Z is high throw rubber, I might need to change the angle of my racket in both drive topspin and blocks. I currently use Donic Z2 1.9mm, if I gain more control on short strokes, pushes, openings at the cost of a small amount of less speed and less control on blocks, I might make the change for the upcoming season.

When switching from tensor to Rakza Z on FH my blocks actually improved, so let's see.