Speeking during the rally

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Not by default. As in football, play to the whistle - so in this case play on unless the umpire intervenes under Law 18.2.1 "Players and coaches shall refrain from conduct that may unfairly affect an opponent, offend spectators or bring the game into disrepute. Examples are: abusive language, deliberately breaking the ball or hitting it out of the playing area, kicking the table or surrounds or disrespect to match officials."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
If he only says "sorry" out of habit after a net ball or so while the point is still going you should just ignore it as it happens to a lot of players. If he talks during the rally I would play it till the end and then ask if he was retarded and to not do that again.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
If the player speaks before the rally ends, you can force him to re-play the point. But normally I would do what Garrison said.

I'd refine that to say "If the player speaks TO YOU before the rally ends....." Yes if you find it off-putting and the umpire (if present) does nothing, speak to the other player after the point and politely ask him/her not to do it. On the other hand if it's just your opponent telling themselves off.....well, we all do that from time to time. Also - if my partner runs into me/treads on my foot/hits me with his bat during a rally in a doubles match I'm not going to wait for the point to finish before I shout "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGH !!"

Reactions: Suga D
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
very annoying when it happens. Some people have strong startle response, and unexpected sounds can make you mistime.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
If the player speaks before the rally ends, you can force him to re-play the point.

No, you can´t. JHB is right, only the umpire can. If none is present, you can politely ask.

Btw, the umpire wouldn´t necessarily act on the rule about behaviour as quoted by JHB, he can decide "let" if he thinks anything prevents the rallye from being played to the end correctly.