Strategy against SP player that constantly beats me

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2024
I am a beginner 45 years old player and I often play outdoors. There are a couple of older guys (~65 year) that:
- play close to the table, are not very mobile
- have a lot of playing experience (good shot placement, blocking)
- play SP or cheap premade rackets (where sponge is thin or non existent)
- have a lot of control in their shots
- occasionally drive the ball to win the point (they slap-smash, no topspin)
- ofc they serve from the hand like old times
- rallies often go over 10 exchanges, maybe more when they play each other :)
- one of them constantly beats more experienced modern style players and is competitive enough to win some amateur competitions against better seated players

I read some of the topics on how to beat them and please confirm that I understood correctly:
- spin serves do little good against them
- I should do long serves more often than shorter ones
- wide shots with good placement are effective
- shots aimed directly at them are harder to defend
- loaded topspin shots are also effective against them
- I should vary often the placement and depth of shots to catch them off foot

My main issue is that I have no patience to enter long rallies and also they take early control of the rally by placing the ball wide to the left or right and afterwards I struggle to return (and can't really regain control of the rally, I am reactive)

The thing is that long pips grips the ball very poorly so the ball comes back to you with the most of you own spin in return regardless of their racket movement.
If they return a topspin from you it will return as underspin and if they return an underspin from you it will return as topspin. But non of them will have particularly strong spin.

So if your last hit was a topspin try a push next time an if you last hit was a push try a topspin, but remember that their spin will not be strong.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I am a beginner 45 years old player and I often play outdoors. There are a couple of older guys (~65 year) that:
- play close to the table, are not very mobile
- have a lot of playing experience (good shot placement, blocking)
- play SP or cheap premade rackets (where sponge is thin or non existent)
- have a lot of control in their shots
- occasionally drive the ball to win the point (they slap-smash, no topspin)
- ofc they serve from the hand like old times
- rallies often go over 10 exchanges, maybe more when they play each other :)
- one of them constantly beats more experienced modern style players and is competitive enough to win some amateur competitions against better seated players

I read some of the topics on how to beat them and please confirm that I understood correctly:
- spin serves do little good against them
- I should do long serves more often than shorter ones
- wide shots with good placement are effective
- shots aimed directly at them are harder to defend
- loaded topspin shots are also effective against them
- I should vary often the placement and depth of shots to catch them off foot

My main issue is that I have no patience to enter long rallies and also they take early control of the rally by placing the ball wide to the left or right and afterwards I struggle to return (and can't really regain control of the rally, I am reactive)
Here are some of my thoughts, not all of them will be applicable for you but just some ideas and insights:
  • Try to occasionally get easy 3rd Ball Attacks to finish the point right away
  • When entering the rally, take a step back from the table and play it safe, they usually wont have enough power to finish the point if you bring the balls back with decent quality
  • Make them run if possible with left / right and short / long placement
  • They will likely get exhausted if you force them to be active
  • Put extreme spin variation in service and pushes, for example 1x heavy underspin half long + 1x long topspin/no spin, 1 short forehand + 1 long backhand, weird sidespin to confuse them in a corner or something
  • Their balls will usually not have much power and speed, if you let the ball come to you, so dont take the ball super early if you arent confident, just let it bounce and fly towards you a bit, then you can hit it more easily
  • Stay mentally strong, 50% of their game plan is based on annoying, confusing and frustrating you, if you can manage that, you will have an advantage
  • The medium area is their advantage:
    • Medium area means nothing special or extraordinary in terms of speed, spin, placement, variation, surprise etc.
    • That means:
    • medium under spin to medium top spin, rarely heavy spin ( same for side spin )
    • Half long placement near the center, not near the white lines
    • Medium speed on your shots, not very high speed or very slow
    • Medium high balls, not low, not very high
    • No fakes or surprise factors in your movements
    • Nothing that makes them uncomfortable
  • In this medium area, they are most likely stronger and have a lot of experience in
  • If you can get them out of the medium area, you will have an advantage

And Ultimately:
Gain experience, figure out what works and what doesnt, trial and error, be "smart" about it as your name suggests

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Hi staysmart.
There is some good advice here
but
You say you don't have patience for long rallies.
They on the other hand are capable of long rallies.
Stronger players in general are better at keeping the ball on the table than weaker players and in this situation it will be a huge hurdle for you to overcome.
My advice is make friends and ask their advice. If you are patient and work hard they will probably help you

says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
SP main advantage is counter-hitting. The faster your game the more SP love it. The more you drive the happier they are.

SP hates slow spinny topspin loop because it takes away their ability to 'borrow' your power. They will make more mistake.

So, slow down your game, make it spinny so that it is harder for them to control the return shot and hopefully this creates more pop-up opportunity for you to smash the ball for a winner.

Stay strong!

#InvertedFTW
#UnitedBrotherhoodInverted.

P/S: The Dark Ones must not prevail. May the spin be with you.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Keep the ball low so the SP player doesn't have line of site shots. This means you must hit the ball at just the right height so it goes over the net low and won't bounce up higher than the net. The SP player can't attack those balls and will be forced to hit the ball up to get it over the net.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2024
SP hates slow spinny topspin loop because it takes away their ability to 'borrow' your power. They will make more mistake.
That i saw from a guy who beats one of them and often employs a heavy loaded topspin shot. Thank you for your advice, I know that you have this kind of "uncles" in your club.
May the force be with you, when you'll smash the ball on their side of the table!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2024
Keep the ball low so the SP player doesn't have line of site shots. This means you must hit the ball at just the right height so it goes over the net low and won't bounce up higher than the net. The SP player can't attack those balls and will be forced to hit the ball up to get it over the net.
I will try to play low and profit from their higher returns.

Mar 2021
That i saw from a guy who beats one of them and often employs a heavy loaded topspin shot. Thank you for your advice, I know that you have this kind of "uncles" in your club.
May the force be with you, when you'll smash the ball on their side of the table!
View attachment acae66f5-9730-4539-8634-722ede71e6c2.mp4
Just to illustrate, although my opponent is not a SP guys. The loaded topspin makes it very difficult for them to borrow my strength.

Be warned though: SP loves fast drives. Don't give them that.