had an interesting practise match today

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Inventory really matters. You will not be able to play better than the level that your inventory will allow you. As an example, try making topspin with antispin or long pimples. It is clear that with smooth rubbers with grip everything is not so dramatic, but it still happens.
As for the Vega Pro, when I tried to play the Vega Pro on the forehand, I had to hit a lot more topspin to win a point than if I played with sticky chinese rubbers or hybrids. This is good for training, but it is very tiring, especially if there are a lot of games ahead. I agree with the guys who advised you to change your equipment.
Until you do this, here is advice on playing with your opponent. Such players really do not like lateral rotations, it is difficult for them to aim for a strong hit on the ball, which goes to the side. In addition, difficulties arise during the strike itself - the ball does not fly exactly where it is sent due to lateral rotation. The picture of the game changes in your favor, use this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yea, this comes back to the different types of approaches to learning table tennis with euro and chinese rubbers, which is a very interesting topic in terms of your relationship with your coach as well and something I am writing a separate post about right now since we have a bunch of hybrids on the market recently. And, nospin hobby players will smash those, which might also put a cap on your development since you are not able to play with players that play with cheap rackets.
Yes, I am speaking from my experience and I use hybrid rubbers (I actually just glued Rakza Z EH on a 7ply to review) so it wil ln be interesting what you have noticed that makes my opinion irrelevant. There are no absolute answers in table tennis, it is important to largely understand what someone else is saying relative to their playing level and as an adult learner, determine whether it has any merits for your playing style. In fact, I built my style to be able to withstand pips hitters and ball smashers who play below a certain level so it will be interesting to hear that such players know how to smash heavy spin easily. Usually if those players are smashing your balls easily, you aren't loading the ball up enough or setting them up properly. When I didn't know how to add a lot of spin to my loops, I struggled with hitters much more. And a good hitter will still beat me no doubt, but they have to be comfortable smashing a heavy topspin ball, not just a basic topspin ball and that has stroke requirements they need to have trained against to appreciate.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Inventory really matters. You will not be able to play better than the level that your inventory will allow you. As an example, try making topspin with antispin or long pimples. It is clear that with smooth rubbers with grip everything is not so dramatic, but it still happens.
As for the Vega Pro, when I tried to play the Vega Pro on the forehand, I had to hit a lot more topspin to win a point than if I played with sticky chinese rubbers or hybrids. This is good for training, but it is very tiring, especially if there are a lot of games ahead. I agree with the guys who advised you to change your equipment.
Until you do this, here is advice on playing with your opponent. Such players really do not like lateral rotations, it is difficult for them to aim for a strong hit on the ball, which goes to the side. In addition, difficulties arise during the strike itself - the ball does not fly exactly where it is sent due to lateral rotation. The picture of the game changes in your favor, use this.
I agree with this, it is always hard for TJs to admit, but while Vega Pro has the style and arc of a modern rubber like T05, the actual ball quality relative to a rubber like T05 is lower. But this is a balancing act as T05 is more expensive and a bit more spin reactive. Same with using 5 ply blades. These were all things that were built to play well with the lighter celluloid balls, they can play decent eith plastic but they are definitely not optimal. Even T05 is not but it is definitely better

For OP; I used to miss a lot using carbon blades as well, but there are various ways to address this, the most important is training. You can also use hybrid rubbers that release the ball a bit slower so they allow you to swing harder. The main point is that changing your equipment is a legitimate way to get more quality - but there are tradeoffs and only someone familiar with your game can tell of it is obviously thrm right answer. I have seen higher level coaches switch their students to harder rubbers (from soft to medium or hard) so that the student can get more quality for their effort. So it is a legitimate path, people just won't often recommend it to you without seeing you play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Choosikick