Sweden Open 2014 - ITTF World Tour

Who do you think will win the Swedish Open 2014 - ITTF World Tour?

• Xu Xin

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wang Hao

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Yan An

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Tang Peng

• Bastian Steger

• Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi Tony. Great questions I have wondered this to. Interestingly, yesterday when Sweden's Kristian Karlsson played Xu Xin the arena was completely packed out. I actually couldnt get a seat :D

I think because the final day only had Asian players only the hardcore fans stayed to watch. I think if Kristian defeated Xu Xin.. the stadium would of been full today. But I agree somehow these tournaments need to become full because they are fantastic.

World Tours such as the German Open are always full but I guess again this is because they are the host nations supporting Boll and Ovtcharov.

Dan, just another curious question, is there a ticket price or is it free entry?

I remember some active players telling me that when they played in European world tours nowadays - compared to few years ago, there is no longer visible marketing in the city.

I can't remember if Dortmund had "good" visible marketing for the WTTC few years ago. If I recall, someone who went, told me it was shocking to see nothing besides the actual venue itself.

I am indeed worried with TT in Sweden.
You get companies like Stiga and Yasaka who are based there, and then you get good level Swedes, past champions helping out with the sport here and there, you get a good super league etc, but then, no one watches WR top 10 players play (likely the higest TT showcase in Sweden in this year)

Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Hi Tony. Great questions I have wondered this to. Interestingly, yesterday when Sweden's Kristian Karlsson played Xu Xin the arena was completely packed out. I actually couldnt get a seat :D

I think because the final day only had Asian players only the hardcore fans stayed to watch. I think if Kristian defeated Xu Xin.. the stadium would of been full today. But I agree somehow these tournaments need to become full because they are fantastic.

World Tours such as the German Open are always full but I guess again this is because they are the host nations supporting Boll and Ovtcharov.
Dan, you got the answer. If everything comes from one country, the results always without uncertainty, usually not much people will attend.

This happens on other professional sport too. Just looks at those small market nba team, or those lower level football team, even though those teams are in division A

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Its incredible how well players have competed against the Chinese in the round of 64 Each Chinese player won however the contests were very close.

In fact, watching Wang Hao, he looked completely bored with whole table tennis in every single game.
It was like .. okay okay .. topspin comming, I swing it back .. Okay I lost few points.. games.. I will win.. Or lose.. or whatever..

That was all his table tennis at Sweden .. from what I saw..

It was like Wang Hao screaming: BOOORIIING!!!! ... I mean - WTF ??
Why he went there then ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Dan, you got the answer. If everything comes from one country, the results always without uncertainty, usually not much people will attend.

This happens on other professional sport too. Just looks at those small market nba team, or those lower level football team, even though those teams are in division A

I don't recall seeing it happen in Tennis - ie the Williams sisters in the final and then all the non Americans decided not to pitch up to watch.
I'm pretty certain all the fans are there for the Tennis and not the nationality of the players

And obviously, those tickets aren't cheap. You own't buy and decide not to go watch because of the players in the final

Last edited:

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Dan, just another curious question, is there a ticket price or is it free entry?

I remember some active players telling me that when they played in European world tours nowadays - compared to few years ago, there is no longer visible marketing in the city.

Good questions Tony. In regards to the tickets, the ticket price cost per day £25 or £55 for the whole weekend.

Outside Stockholm they had banners about the World Tour but I didn't see any more. I didn't look around Stockholm to much to see if there was any.

This seemed the case at the Swedish Open anyways. When any Swedish player was playing the crowd was just incredible. Full arena with cheering and clapping.

In fact, watching Wang Hao, he looked completely bored with whole table tennis in every single game.
It was like .. okay okay .. topspin comming, I swing it back .. Okay I lost few points.. games.. I will win.. Or lose.. or whatever..

Why he went there then ?

Michal, I know exactly what you mean here. His body language was really laid back. The only match I really saw him try his best in was against Marcos Freitas, that was a fantastic game to watch.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews

Why he went there then ?

I am afraid he will retire any time soon and become a coach. Somehow I thought he won't make it pass Freitas. No way with that attitude. But hey it seems like he can beat any non-Chinese with one eye closed! When he play like $hit but his coach still smile at him in between games then it is clear that no one really care. Still he enter semi and get the job done. I am impressed.