The jurassic man in action

says what [IMG]
@NDH

You're making sense.

My setup isn't that bad that it's basically just wood with an eraser on the sides.;)

There's still potential in the rubber, though. That's what I think. My game would surely improve with a better setup, but I'll have to stick with this for now.

I'm pretty sure this setup is what could be considered inappropriate for a looper, but I have produced visible top-spins with it, so it can't be absolutely useless. My backhand has decent spin on it, so the fault has to be in the person holding the bat.

EDIT: Again this white text out of nowhere.

NDH

says Spin to win!
@NDH

You're making sense.

My setup isn't that bad that it's basically just wood with an eraser on the sides.;)

There's still potential in the rubber, though. That's what I think. My game would surely improve with a better setup, but I'll have to stick with this for now.

I'm pretty sure this setup is what could be considered inappropriate for a looper, but I have produced visible top-spins with it, so it can't be absolutely useless. My backhand has decent spin on it, so the fault has to be in the person holding the bat.

EDIT: Again this white text out of nowhere.

Yeah, it is possible to get spin on the ball - and sure, the occasional shot will look/feel world class.

But don't be disheartened if it's not consistent, because that is likely down to the equipment (in part).

Sure, I could produce a really spinny top spin with a dead bat, but it wouldn't be quick, it wouldn't be how I'd normally hit the ball, and I'd need plenty of time to hit it (the kind of time where you are trying your hardest to spin the hell out of the ball e.g.. Not in match play).

Either way, you can never play too much! Regardless of the equipment!

Reactions: Archosaurus
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Great !! Right now , I can't see in the short video anything that says that you don't have proper training , so you are doing just fine ! Just remember that focus on the basics, play with everybody and keep learning from everybody :) , you will be surprised how far that will take you !!

I already fixed that coincidentally using that method :)
by watching how Timo Boll and Xu Xin play hehe
the short receive of timo and xu's aggressiveness where if the ball pops
or goes long attack the hell out of it lol
the truth is I don't have proper training I learned through imitation.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says what [IMG]
Yeah, it is possible to get spin on the ball - and sure, the occasional shot will look/feel world class.

But don't be disheartened if it's not consistent, because that is likely down to the equipment (in part).

Sure, I could produce a really spinny top spin with a dead bat, but it wouldn't be quick, it wouldn't be how I'd normally hit the ball, and I'd need plenty of time to hit it (the kind of time where you are trying your hardest to spin the hell out of the ball e.g.. Not in match play).

Either way, you can never play too much! Regardless of the equipment!

I guess the thing I have going for me is that my standard techniques are standard enough that with a fairly short time of adaption, I could play a good setup consistently. I've never tried to "adapt to the equipment", at least.

Seeing as all I can realistically do is stick with this setup, I'll just try to get as much spin as I can get out of it, with my current pace. I'm somehow inclined to believe that I haven't maxed the setup out yet.

This user has no status.
Great !! Right now , I can't see in the short video anything that says that you don't have proper training , so you are doing just fine ! Just remember that focus on the basics, play with everybody and keep learning from everybody :) , you will be surprised how far that will take you !!
Hehe thank you. I will be training in Manila this summer and will be trained by some of the best players in our country. I think I might start a thread about that no? :)

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shuki and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
That would be fantastic !! You could do like a blog or something , where you post snippets of your experience and video , it will be very interesting to see how you are progressing and having fun at the training !
Hehe thank you. I will be training in Manila this summer and will be trained by some of the best players in our country. I think I might start a thread about that no? :)

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I guess the thing I have going for me is that my standard techniques are standard enough that with a fairly short time of adaption, I could play a good setup consistently. I've never tried to "adapt to the equipment", at least.

Seeing as all I can realistically do is stick with this setup, I'll just try to get as much spin as I can get out of it, with my current pace. I'm somehow inclined to believe that I haven't maxed the setup out yet.

Yes, but with every change, everything changes. When I Teach, I tell people that playing with rubber without grip creates a lot of habits that are hard to fix. Again, don't trivialize things like speed glue, better rubber and boosters. After all, your equipment must have a brand (and an ITTF stamp if it is approved). What exactly is it?

It's basically better to hit more than spin more when you don't have the right equipment. But whether that will improve your game when you use better equipment is really more about how well you adapt. Some people go out of their way to find something more similar to what they used before for many reasons.

says what [IMG]
@NextLevel

The equipment in the video is a "TechnoPro Expert" with ITTF authorized "Expert" rubber on both sides, although I can't find an ITTF numbering for the rubber on the physical piece itself so I am slightly skeptical.

The blade is ALL and the sponge thickness is 1.8mm.

My impressions are that it's not an entirely lost cause, because the topsheet has some kind of stickiness/friction to it, but the sponge is quite awful compared to professional equipment.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BTW: from my perspective, critiquing other player's form was never the issue. It was always your attitude.

Now you just presented something that makes it sound like you think your level of play is in almost the same league as Rajahloopa's. And that the video and the purpose of the video is at fault. But you're not seeing where the ball is going until too late and you are being forced to take many shots while the ball is dropping, not by design but because you were not ready for where the ball was going, these things actually show information that does not lie. You are on the road to being a decent self taught player. Your probably are better than anyone around you and frustrated at the lack of competent training partners to challenge you and help you get better. But the idea that you are anywhere near as good a RLoopah or even Dr Paco is kind of funny.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, your spelling hurts my eyes. But, I get it.

If my spelling was as bad as your attitude, what I write would be unreadable as much of what you write seems to be.

Anyway, do you have anything to say about the above?

Carl mentioned the shallow swing.

I actually have a feeling that if you make video from the front on the right hand side so you can see your stroke head on, you will see it is not actually a stroke. I think you are actually moving your racket straight forward rather than it having the rotational quality of a swing. But from the side it is hard to see.

However, I wouldn't call what you are doing a loop. I would call it a drive. So it has decent, mild topspin. But not loop spin. And you can see that from the bang on impact rather than you holding the ball on the rubber to extend the spin.

But next time you film, you should have someone holding the camera and giving you several different angles so you can see your mechanics better. If you do that, it will help you improve.

Reactions: Shuki and NextLevel
says what [IMG]
If you mean "rotational quality" as in forming a half circle from in front/behind instead of just going back and forward, then yes, I do that.

How am I supposed to move my forearm like that while turning my shoulders and not produce a circular stroke? The backswing begins in line with my body, the contact is with my arm outstretched and the follow through is with my arm more or less back at the same horizontal as the backswing.

I have looked at hours of my shadow with a webcam/mirror. I think I know pretty well what my stroke looks like. It's not what you think it is, although I did have that problem long ago with a swing that more or less sliced forwards instead of being a half-circle.

Think of lever on a rotating pivot. That's what is going on.

http://imgur.com/a/h0rdz

Here, have some illustrations.

The FPS of my webcam is terrible, so mind the blur and intermixed frames, but I think it should be good enough.

I did one shadow swing. The elbow is bent a bit more than I'd like because the prospect of banging my blade into my closet doesn't appeal to me.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have looked at hours of my shadow with a webcam/mirror. I think I know pretty well what my stroke looks like.

This one makes me laugh. Anyone who has looked at enough footage of himself--footage while doing anything--knows that what we envision we are doing and what we are actually doing are often not the same. And watching a shadow stroke on a webcam has little to do with what a person ends up doing when the ball is there.

Your stroke may be fine. I personally don't care if you ever post the front view. But I have a feeling you may learn a few things about what you are and are not doing from that specific view.

Regardless, your impact looks different than the impact of high spin. The sound is different than the sound of high spin on impact. There is a tangential element to your contact. But you are not making brush contact. It is bang impact. That is useful for some things. But it is not, technically, a loop.

says what [IMG]
Have some pictures above.

My stroke in the video is certainly not the same as in the pictures. I was out of form, as I said.

Still, what you're talking about is happening neither in the video nor in the pictures.

The banging contact is intentional, but I'm trying to start generating more spin instead. I talked about this with @NDH and @NextLevel. So yes, I am banging into the ball, with little dwell time.

It's with essentially the same form as a loop, except the swing is not as vertical as in the pictures.

says what [IMG]
Also note, your shadow followthrough is better than the one when the ball is there!!!!

"I was out of form, as I said."

Carl, did you perhaps miss the part where I mentioned how I intentionally posted bad footage and I know I could fix the problems present in the footage if it hadn't killed me to bend my knees and raise my arm?

Of course my shadow stroke is going to be a bit more consistent in it's execution. I do not possess the perfect footwork to always be in position to play the shot perfectly, I will be forced to play a more bent stroke with less followthrough.

Sometimes, my brain will simply trip up because I'm not a professional player with 20+ years of training, and I might do everything wrong.

I think we're all working on this.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, the point about me moving too late might have sense to it.

My block and anticipation are great, even against far better players than the guy in the video, but I think I might have a small delay, maybe .1 sec, of essentially doing nothing. I can read where the ball is going to go pretty accurately, but I'm not 100% sure if I actually move on the pace immediately every time.

I'll pay attention to that next time and see if I find out anything. I'm fairly certain that I'm not moving on time when I'm not playing too well.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
I think you need some chocking of reality, going to a club and playing with good players. When I play in university my game was OK, at least in my head, but when played with good players I realized how bad was, my ego was crushed and I start to learn.
Now I'm still not good at all but better since the beginning
Soon will coming my video heheh

Sent from my 2014819 using Tapatalk

says what [IMG]
I think you need some chocking of reality, going to a club and playing with good players. When I play in university my game was OK, at least in my head, but when played with good players I realized how bad was, my ego was crushed and I start to learn.
Now I'm still not good at all but better since the beginning
Soon will coming my video heheh

Sent from my 2014819 using Tapatalk
That's probably the best advice I could get, because I'm seriously getting a bit lazy due to the lack of competition.

I lost pretty much every game during my first half year playing, and I don't think I would have a problem losing every match for another half year, if it improves me as fast.

Just bear in mind that my play in the video is not even half of what I can normally do. Perhaps it was a bad idea to post this footage, because people don't seem to understand that, not even with the huge amount of disclaimers and whatnot. ;)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey, I don't need to get pulled into the drama or the debating. What I am seeing in the video is hard to tell from the side. When you film from the front you will see a better angle on what is good about your stroke and what needs to be worked on.

I also don't need to see it. If you see it and it helps you improve that is cool with me.

As an enthusiastic, self taught player, you are doing fine. But you are nowhere near as good as you seem to think you are.

I think, if you were surrounded by more players who were higher level than you, it would be really good for your game and your attitude.

And no matter how good someone is, a bad attitude is not so nice to be around. And it doesn't help anyone. Especially the person with the bad attitude as he chases potential friends away.

The best players I know are often the most humble about their skillz (that is spelled Der_Echte style). We all make mistakes. So, I don't hold things against people long term. But it would be nice if you did get over yourself sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
I'm flattered that people seem to care about my future well being so much, but could we actually stick to discussing things which I can apply now which will improve my game and prevent future mistakes? I'm most interested in eliminating the possibility to even play as bad as I did during the filming of the video, and to raise the level of my overall game just a bit so I can get to the NextLevel. ;)

The attitude will fix itself, it's called time. People operate on habit, and I just have some shitty habits. The only way to change those habits is by getting accustomed to new ones over the long-term.

Anyway:

"I also don't need to see it. If you see it and it helps you improve that is cool with me. "

I am taking advice from you. I think you'd want to know exactly what I am doing to best give the correct advice, no?

"As an enthusiastic, self taught player, you are doing fine. But you are nowhere near as good as you seem to think you are. "

That's all I'm aiming for, just positive action to improve. It doesn't matter what delusions I might or might not have, that's my own issue.

"I think, if you were surrounded by more players who were higher level than you, it would be really good for your game and your attitude. "

There's a person I know who I haven't managed to beat yet. Always 9-11, and even though he's pressured and has to try hard, he always has a trick or two up his sleeve, or I choke. That was months ago and I can probably beat him by now, but getting my ass royally kicked is what made me improve so much. He could easily 11-2 me under half a year ago, not even trying. So I'll have to agree. I'd really like to play a pro and get blown off the table, just to know what the standard is really like.

"And no matter how good someone is, a bad attitude is not so nice to be around. And it doesn't help anyone. Especially the person with the bad attitude as he chases potential friends away. "

I suppose.

"The best players I know are often the most humble about their skillz (that is spelled Der_Echte style). "

Perhaps when I can consider myself a good player, I will become more humble.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl