Thoughts on coaching in-between points?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Coaching can change alot at a lower level i think.

Totally agree. At the cadet and junior level you can sometimes see guys behaving like generals commanding their little soldiers.
I'm not sure if i'd really like to see that.
I guess i feel a bit torn over this.
The thing is if you don't allow it then coaches will do it secretly undercover.
It has happened before.

In the end it's still the player at the table who has to win the points not the coach in the corner. So as long as it doesn't hinder the continuity of play i can actually live with it.

Reactions: Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Totally agree. At the cadet and junior level you can sometimes see guys behaving like generals commanding their little soldiers.
I'm not sure if i'd really like to see that.
I guess i feel a bit torn over this.
The thing is if you don't allow it then coaches will do it secretly undercover.
It has happened before.

In the end it's still the player at the table who has to win the points not the coach in the corner. So as long as it doesn't hinder the continuity of play i can actually live with it.

In the California Bay Area, there are HUNDREDS of kids training and doing tourneys.

I have been on the other end of the battles vs a good chunk of these pro-style trained kids, who have coaches who would be No. 1 or No. 2 players on 2. Bundesliga teams.

There are many matches where I was leading vs the kid, and coach commanded this and that... and kid listened, executed, and won.

Sometimes it is about culture too. Chinese and Korean culture... people in positions of leadership are looked up to as like Generals and are expected to lead like Generals. A lot of that is changing, but much of that lingers.

Reactions: Suga D
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
My personal feeling is just fine as long as it doesn't drag out the game or coach says some irritating things.

At large USA tourneys, the TD often publishes some simple, common sense guidelines on what coaches should be able or should stop themselves from doing.

Seems to work well enough.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Coach should get tossed from building if he says "Dude's BH is GARBAGE !! Pick on his BH !!"

Coach ought to say "Keep it up. Keep going to the BH !!" said just loud enough for his player to hear... That takes 2 seconds and if said while one is picking up the ball, it slows nothing down.

says Aging is a killer
It clearly says:

It says nothing of higher leagues or lower leagues, so to me this means that it's for all leagues.

Actually we've been discussing this already a while ago.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...w-Rule-Approved!-Coaching-Between-Points-2016!

What the umpire was probably referring to is the fact that whatever rule is decided at ITTF level, the local leagues have their own set of rules.
Eg, in my local league, timeouts and coaching during matchplay are specifically not allowed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
What the umpire was probably referring to is the fact that whatever rule is decided at ITTF level, the local leagues have their own set of rules.
Eg, in my local league, timeouts and coaching during matchplay are specifically not allowed.

Hmmm. Good one. I guess you've got a point there, mate.
Our lower leagues also do have a few exceptions to the rules.
About two or three years ago the DTTB has made an effort to globalize the rules or how we say "die Wettspielordnung", but the regional associations like the HeTTV had their own "Wettspielordnung" and were allowed to have exceptions for the regional and lower leagues.
So in the end many of these associations have made so many exceptions that the whole thing got pretty pointless.
But at least the higher leagues (I think it was from Verbandsliga or Hessenliga upwards) had to follow the rules and weren't allowed to make exceptions.

Last edited:
They were not speaking in English. In a sense, the rule gave an advantage to non-English teams since everyone speaks English.

Yeah, in that case its like that.

Our TT federation has implemented the exact rules of ITTF, they are just translated, and they aply to tournaments of all levels. But we never use between points advices. In fact we don't tolerate too much speaking during tournaments, its the ball to talk. Only finals are always louder, its inevitable.