Timeout tips?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
If you were up 10-5 a minute ago and now it is 10-8, you call a time out to see if you can regain the momentum and close out the set (or the match).
Yes, typical situation, when a lead is melting.
Also, to prevent an opponent´s lead from increasing (often a three point difference).

From the coach perspective, if you see something is going very wrong - could be tactically, or mentally, even physically.

Reactions: JJ Ng
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Yes, typical situation, when a lead is melting.
Also, to prevent an opponent´s lead from increasing (often a three point difference).

From the coach perspective, if you see something is going very wrong - could be tactically, or mentally, even physically.
You only get one time out per match. I usually use it for mental reasons. Tactically, either you get it by now (at that point in the match) or you don't. Physically, both players are tired. So what is left is to reset yourself mentally for the next couple of points. Maybe also remind yourself of new serves you have not used throughout the match so far, to close out the last point or two.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Typically you call a timeout to cool down your opponent, or to give yourself a clearer mind when you go offline for some reasons.

What are other timeout tactics that you find helpful?
When you have played a long point which you feel has broken your rhythm. You need some time to reflect and establish what works or even to recuperate. A variation of the clearer mind.

For me the clearer mind and establishing what works is far more important than breaking momentum.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
If you were up 10-5 a minute ago and now it is 10-8, you call a time out to see if you can regain the momentum and close out the set (or the match).

Another question, when the opponent is catching up, I tend to call timeout after their first serve to disrupt their rhythm.

What do you guys think? TO after their second serve? After your first serve?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Another question, when the opponent is catching up, I tend to call timeout after their first serve to disrupt their rhythm.

An advice I got from my coach is to call the timeout when it is my turn to serve. That is so so you can think about what service to choose eg. a kick serve for a surprising effect or maybe one where you know what return you are most likely to get and to use it to your adventage
I think serving can give you an advantage if you can utilize them well enough.
Calling a timeout after their first serve to disrupt them might as well work too, but it might also give them time to think about what to do imo

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

I like to call time out in between serves. that's why I used 10-8 as an example. If you are up to serving, you can plan out the next two serves. Maybe one serve is to surprise the opponent, like a kick serve. The other serve will be, say, a very safe half-long half short backspin serve so you can loop drive on third ball attack.

If it is 10-8 and the other person is serving next, then I think about how they might do a certain surprise serve or remind myself to attack every single serve that goes long and off the end of the table.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Typically you call a timeout to cool down your opponent, or to give yourself a clearer mind when you go offline for some reasons.

What are other timeout tactics that you find helpful?
Eat banana, I see many top players always chow down a banana

This user has no status.
Though whether it is because of the score or because of the timeout, we will never know :unsure:...
I don't understand "because of the score" , but nevertheless I don't go deeper than that because why would I while I have bigger questions to tackle, like why backhand is sometimes natural and sometimes is not ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I don't understand "because of the score" , but nevertheless I don't go deeper than that because why would I while I have bigger questions to tackle, like why backhand is sometimes natural and sometimes is not ?
The score at 10‐7 (and before that 10‐ whatever that led to the timeout) is already a high probability of success score, even without the timeout.

This user has no status.
The score at 10‐7 (and before that 10‐ whatever that led to the timeout) is already a high probability of success score, even without the timeout.
Thats at the beginning of the match maybe , the probability is high I agree, but last set, 10-4 then 10-7 , it means that you are out of fuel, anxious, and/or your opponnent is on fire, that probability is outta the window because you can't really compute the new probability factoring in what mentionned above. You take a minute, drink some water then restart again. If you never been in this situation where you can't just win a point for some reason I congratulate you, but it happens all the time, ask LGY.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thats at the beginning of the match maybe , the probability is high I agree, but last set, 10-4 then 10-7 , it means that you are out of fuel, anxious, and/or your opponnent is on fire, that probability is outta the window because you can't really compute the new probability factoring in what mentionned above. You take a minute, drink some water then restart again. If you never been in this situation where you can't just win a point for some reason I congratulate you, but it happens all the time, ask LGY.
I have lost both when I have and have not taken a timeout. Also have won in both situations, much more often than losing.

says Looking for Frame
I never have called for a time out in my life.
My teammate sometimes calls a timeout when I am in a mental bad way.
Game/match is not going as planned, making many mistakes ......
He than talks to me but I never can change the mood/feeling in a time out.

I just don't think about it. It's not in my head.

Reading a mental game book now. I hope to change my mental mindset when going into a match.
I have lost matches because I think .. ah this will be easy.
I have lost matches because I think .. ah he is to good.
Or when your play is not that good ... you have some bad matches in your life .... but if the first match is bad I somehow can't get the mojo back at the same night.