Timo Boll ALC + H3 3 neo provincial 39° Blue Sponge on FH and boosting before testing or after

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
So basically I have 2 questions.
First my situation:
I would describe myself as a strong player, but still far from professional/semi-professional level.
For those who know, I play in Germany in the Landesliga and I have 1710 TTR.
My equipment last season:
Cybershape Carbon
FH: DNA Platinum XH
Bra: DNA Platinum M
I've been tempted to try Chinese rubbers since the winter break and have now decided to order the H3 neo provincial 39° Blue sponge. I've also ordered the Timo BOLL ALC, as I can imagine using it in principle, quite apart from the rubber.

Now I have the question of whether this blade rubber combination makes sense at all. Of course, this also depends on my playing style, which you don't know. But I thought maybe it generally doesn't work good together.

My second question is whether I can glue and test the rubber normally first and then boost it afterwards, or whether it makes more sense to boost it directly before using.

This is my first post in this forum, so if there is anything I can do differently / better please let me know

Reactions: Fnub
This user has no status.
So you are asking whether an Outer ALC blade plus H3Neo work good together?

This is the main combo of most Asian Pro's so there is definitely nothing wrong with the combo. You currently play with an even faster blade and also a faster rubber with close to same sponge hardness, and since you are a strong player I am sure the combo works for you as well.

I am not a boosting expert so I will leave question number two for others to answer.

Reactions: Maxxx
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
So you are asking whether an Outer ALC blade plus H3Neo work good together?

This is the main combo of most Asian Pro's so there is definitely nothing wrong with the combo. You currently play with an even faster blade and also a faster rubber with close to same sponge hardness, and since you are a strong player I am sure the combo works for you as well.

I am not a boosting expert so I will leave question number two for others to answer.
Thank you very much for your answer
Until this year I had hardly dealt with material and had no idea about it, especially compared to other players who have a similar level as me. That's why I wasn't sure whether a European wood and a Chinese rubber would go together, but yes, I'll test the setup that way.

This user has no status.
Thank you very much for your answer
Until this year I had hardly dealt with material and had no idea about it, especially compared to other players who have a similar level as me. That's why I wasn't sure whether a European wood and a Chinese rubber would go together, but yes, I'll test the setup that way.
It is not really a european blade since it is made in japan. Timo boll ALC is basically the same blade as Viscaria, Fan Zhendong ALC, Lin Gaoyuan ALC, etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Read 1 reviews
1- TB alc + h3 would work obviously many pro using however for my personal taste it feels pretty hard when it combined, so more boosting may need for softer feeling, I prefer inner alc.

2- Yes, it's doable. of course you may want to try without boosting at first, but I think boosting before cutting is easier:
  • trimming edges after boost harder than cutting un-cut,
  • boosting can be messy, so avoiding leak on top sheet is easier when rubber is un-cut.
  • rubbers curl much at first boosting, so un-cut rubber looks more uniform to me. round rubber can curl too but I fear it will roll down while resting. Some people place boosted rubber on to top of bottle, it may help.

So basically I have 2 questions.
First my situation:
I would describe myself as a strong player, but still far from professional/semi-professional level.
For those who know, I play in Germany in the Landesliga and I have 1710 TTR.
My equipment last season:
Cybershape Carbon
FH: DNA Platinum XH
Bra: DNA Platinum M
I've been tempted to try Chinese rubbers since the winter break and have now decided to order the H3 neo provincial 39° Blue sponge. I've also ordered the Timo BOLL ALC, as I can imagine using it in principle, quite apart from the rubber.

Now I have the question of whether this blade rubber combination makes sense at all. Of course, this also depends on my playing style, which you don't know. But I thought maybe it generally doesn't work good together.

My second question is whether I can glue and test the rubber normally first and then boost it afterwards, or whether it makes more sense to boost it directly before using.

This is my first post in this forum, so if there is anything I can do differently / better please let me know
Absolutely doable, but You will experience a significantly slower setup...

Cheers
L-zr