Tips to move more?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
After each shot, take a tiny movement with both feet. If your feet are still, it is harder to get them moving. If your feet are moving you are more likely to move better.

Do footwork drills. Try to progress standard placement drills to random placement drills.

Practice, practice, practice. Drills, drills and more drills.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I think rope skipping is very good to make you faster and more used to moving on your balls of your feet. But the thing that helped me the most is what carl says. Always take tiny steps after shots. Even if you are just warming upp backhand against backhand just move between every shot instead of standing still on your heels like so many people do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
yes, once you can drill this into your footwork the effectiveness improves automatically when you jump rope.
Infact, I have seen remarkable benefits if I do a 1000 jumps in the morning and then play in the evening ...

however , always remember to be careful about your knees and the soles of your feet when doing jump rope. Make sure you wear good shoes and the best surface would be a like a running track , firm , yet soft . some gyms have those kind of area for you to jump. Otherwise you could run into plano fasciitis and other knee and feet issues.
I think rope skipping is very good to make you faster and more used to moving on your balls of your feet. But the thing that helped me the most is what carl says. Always take tiny steps when after shots. Even if you are just warming upp backhand against backhand just move between every shot instead of standing still on your heels like so many people do.

Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
But the thing that helped me the most is what carl says. Always take tiny steps after shots. Even if you are just warming upp backhand against backhand just move between every shot instead of standing still on your heels like so many people do.

That is it. You should think of those tiny steps as part of your reset, so actually part of your stroke.

Tons of things to get your body to know how to move the feet better. Shadow footwork drills, ladder footwork drills, both improve your foot coordination and your upper body/lower body independent coordination: upper body and lower body are doing different things and moving independently. Circuit training. So many things.

But if the issue is moving the feet while playing--not the fitness to do it with more intensity or the coordination to do it at all--then footwork drills on the table and training those little steps as part of the reset is actually the main issue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
... when u r training you can get some used cracked balls and pop them and put in your shoes . Place it at your heels :) no kidding , that get you moving :) that trick i learn when i was in china .

I have to say - I am impressed by this advice. Very efficient hack, even if I likely won't try it, it communicates the idea of what you are supposed to be doing extremely well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I have to say - I am impressed by this advice. Very efficient hack, even if I likely won't try it, it communicates the idea of what you are supposed to be doing extremely well.

It also sounds like a very chinese way to fix a problem somehow, make it hurt if your not doing it correctly and you will fix it yourself.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It also sounds like a very chinese way to fix a problem somehow, make it hurt if your not doing it correctly and you will fix it yourself.

Yep, I'm going to try this. I notice if I really concentrate on staying on my toes, I move better. I don't need to do much else. but it needs to be reinforce constantly.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
what carl said, but don't just do it without a plan... after each stroke use your feet to get back to an exact same spot. this is the "neutral" spot, on the left side for right handers in such a way that your bat is in the ready position around the middle of the table.

"return" to the same spot even if you are already there just by adjusting your position for a fraction of an inch.

Reactions: Rajah*