To be a world class player......

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
A lot of people say that the Chinese national team members are talented, but just work insanely hard, but in actuality, that's far from the truth, I mean they definitely work hard, but its the very fact that there are so many players in China, all of whom work unbelievably hard, that shows that the actual members who represent the team are talented. Think about it, you have a giant giant pool to work from, all of whom start playing at a young age and work really hard. There are only a certain number of hours a day, so its not the amount of work you put in, because there are tons of other people who put in the same amount. What separates you from the rest is your mental strengths, and or your body advantages. Look at Wang Liqin, I don't think there has ever been a player with as amazing a combination of length and speed. Samsonov has his reach, but looks like a turtle in terms of footwork speed, and arm speed, and reaction rate, while players that are faster than him, don't have as long of a reach as he does. Xu Xin has the same strengths in these two areas, which is why I think he has probably the most potential of any of the players on the Chinese national team, even more so than Ma Long.

I love your posts scylla. Very good and intersting! its so true what you say tho... espicially about Xu Xin... just the problem i feel with Xu Xin is his backhand.... can it keep up with Ma longs..

I cant wait to see how the future plans out in TT over the next few years :)

@Peter... haha yeah dude,, im sure you can beat them :p.. you can stilll get to a very good level of play. I know players who started late and are good now.. Good Luck!

says Wangliqin Stop Spamming [IMG]
Oct 2010
thanks Dan. perhaps I started a tad late, lately I've joined tournaments around my area, and I've got better understanding of rating & skill levels. Locally there are some outstanding players here in florida, Jonathan Ou (age 12) 2200+, Richard Ciz 2300+, Kit Jeerapaet 2300+, Keith Alban 2500+... many styles, consistency, mental levels, all that. In order to have some weight in this state, in this sport, seem like one must be high like 2200+ rating. I am just about half that, and its really hard to get up :(

Oct 2010
USATTMembers.png

and according to usatt statistic, to be a world class player, you just need to be 2500+
to me that is... next life.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
thanks Dan. perhaps I started a tad late, lately I've joined tournaments around my area, and I've got better understanding of rating & skill levels. Locally there are some outstanding players here in florida, Jonathan Ou (age 12) 2200+, Richard Ciz 2300+, Kit Jeerapaet 2300+, Keith Alban 2500+... many styles, consistency, mental levels, all that. In order to have some weight in this state, in this sport, seem like one must be high like 2200+ rating. I am just about half that, and its really hard to get up :(

Yeah, TT is a real tough sport dude,, i got myself to around 40 in England,, i have no idea what level that is in the US but im guessing its pretty high if the 12 year old is 2200.. p.s. i dont want to be loosing to no 12 year old until he reaches atleast 14 :DD

So yeah,,, for me to get to that level literally required me to practice almost every day and so much losses went into it, it was unreal! Im not the most talented player out there so for me it required hard work and more tactical play. But its possible its all about the time you have and how much you want it... Just take one step at a time and enjoy yourself.... (Especially when your at a tournament)

I think my biggest way of improving was when i started writing a diary. I put in the diary when i practised, my wins and losses and how i won... I wrote down the areas that let me down in a match.... the next day i would practice on this weakness so it was better next time..

For instance,, your objective for this month could be to be able to do 50 short backspin serves to the forehand without misses, going long or going to short. Its tough but you feel good if you achieve it. All the small goals will collect up.

You can do goals with rankings... but rankings aint the most realistic statistic, its what you do away from the tournaments that will count for now.

How long have you been playing?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Yeah, TT is a real tough sport dude,, i got myself to around 40 in England,, i have no idea what level that is in the US but im guessing its pretty high if the 12 year old is 2200.. p.s. i dont want to be loosing to no 12 year old until he reaches atleast 14 :DD

So yeah,,, for me to get to that level literally required me to practice almost every day and so much losses went into it, it was unreal! Im not the most talented player out there so for me it required hard work and more tactical play. But its possible its all about the time you have and how much you want it... Just take one step at a time and enjoy yourself.... (Especially when your at a tournament)

I think my biggest way of improving was when i started writing a diary. I put in the diary when i practised, my wins and losses and how i won... I wrote down the areas that let me down in a match.... the next day i would practice on this weakness so it was better next time..

For instance,, your objective for this month could be to be able to do 50 short backspin serves to the forehand without misses, going long or going to short. Its tough but you feel good if you achieve it. All the small goals will collect up.

You can do goals with rankings... but rankings aint the most realistic statistic, its what you do away from the tournaments that will count for now.

How long have you been playing?

Mint post mate!!!

I'm going to incorporate that into my blog!

This user has no status.
A lot of people say that the Chinese national team members are talented, but just work insanely hard, but in actuality, that's far from the truth, I mean they definitely work hard, but its the very fact that there are so many players in China, all of whom work unbelievably hard, that shows that the actual members who represent the team are talented. Think about it, you have a giant giant pool to work from, all of whom start playing at a young age and work really hard. There are only a certain number of hours a day, so its not the amount of work you put in, because there are tons of other people who put in the same amount. What separates you from the rest is your mental strengths, and or your body advantages. Look at Wang Liqin, I don't think there has ever been a player with as amazing a combination of length and speed. Samsonov has his reach, but looks like a turtle in terms of footwork speed, and arm speed, and reaction rate, while players that are faster than him, don't have as long of a reach as he does. Xu Xin has the same strengths in these two areas, which is why I think he has probably the most potential of any of the players on the Chinese national team, even more so than Ma Long.

I believe this is the best post in this thread. Considering the number of players, the state support, the quality of coaching one can only wonder how other players happens to win some tournaments from time to time? We can only ask how it was possible that such small nations as Hungary or Sweden could regularly beat them!
Which means that as it happens, we are not less talented than the Chinese, there are simply so many of them to choose from. And as the coach of out national team said once coming back from China: "They have more coaches than we have players, and each of them wakes up every morning with one idea in mind: how to beat the Europeans?" (I believe without prejudice to other continents:eek:)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I believe this is the best post in this thread. Considering the number of players, the state support, the quality of coaching one can only wonder how other players happens to win some tournaments from time to time? We can only ask how it was possible that such small nations as Hungary or Sweden could regularly beat them!
Which means that as it happens, we are not less talented than the Chinese, there are simply so many of them to choose from. And as the coach of out national team said once coming back from China: "They have more coaches than we have players, and each of them wakes up every morning with one idea in mind: how to beat the Europeans?" (I believe without prejudice to other continents:eek:)

Hey dude welcome to the forum!!

And you have just said quote of the year :DD ' theres more coaches in china then players here' haha love it but so true!

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
There's definitely a lot of aspects that come into it not just technical training, they have to have a strong mental game and good tactics and they have to WANT to be the best. Waldner is a perfect example I think dedication is the underlying factor, not just to being a good table tennis player but to being a well rounded ATHLETE and professional.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The Chinese style of offensive play where they are looking to kill the ball as early in the rally as possible plays a large part in their strategic success. The Europeans are often opening their attacks with sort of soft touch loops and the Chinese seem to be opening as early as possible with as powerful a shot as they can create. The amount of work it takes to develop that ability to relentlessly attack serves and short balls and put the opponent on the defensive is monumental. You need a lot of precision. Years of training for reaction time and perfect strokes and control.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am 28 and I just got interested in table tennis, does it mean I am ****ed.
There is no way I can beat these kids, they don't even have to move at all to kick my ass

I am 46 years old. I started playing a little more than 1 and a half years ago. Looking at that USATT chart I started out at a level under 1000. In a year and a half I have gone up to a level of almost 1700. If I had any coaching I probably would have improved more but I have not had any coaching.

When I play regular basement players these days I can see how far I have come. I can play effortlessly and completely control the points against them. At the club I play at I can play with any of the players who are under 2000 and there are a few players who are over 2000 who are consistently happy to play with me as well. If you keep playing you will get better. If you find a few good players to hit with they will help you figure out a lot of things you need to improve your game more quickly. It is a great sport. Just keep playing.

says [img]
says [img]
Dec 2010
Actually, I think Boll, Mizutani, Samsonov, Ovtcharoc are more talented than the chinese. They have reached the top 15 of the world without being chinese, and that is kinda awsome. I don't think Boll trained as good as the chinese in his young ages. And he is good as them!