TT pet peeves?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Just curious what TTDers pet peeves are WRT to TT?

I can forgive a club player their illegal serve. As I don't plan on playing tournaments, I view it as good training for me to try to return the serve.

What I cannot forgive and probably is my #1 pet peeve:

Club players wearing white t-shirts! Maybe it's cos I'm 51 yrs old, wear glasses, although I take them off when I play TT, I can't pick up the ball when my partner is wearing white. It's even tougher on me in a section of my club where the walls are painted white :(

Next!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
I don't think I've ever seen a player where I play in a white t-shirt, it's understandable that it can be bothering!
In the local league where I play it's illegal to wear a white t-shirt and even white shorts.

A pet peeve for me are players who are obnoxious, don't encounter them too often though thankfully.
Another pet peeve (it shouldn't be though) is playing against long pimples for the reason that it slows the game down so much and makes it boring for me, it's also very tiring to have to lift those heavy backspin balls that keep coming back.

It's my own fault of course as I keep putting more spin, but I can't help myself. I prefer a faster paced game.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
Anything that ruins the fun. In the end most of us are no professionals. Of course I always want to win but I also want to be respected and drink some beers after the match with our opponents in a good atmosphere.

Things like extremely illegal serves, people flaming and hating while playing, players screaming and throwing their equipment, unsportsmanlike behaviour in general and so on.

Oh and there is ONE PARTICULAR THING that has been driving me crazy during our training sessions lately:
We have a youngster that has to play his first year in the men's league, as he became quite good recently I often play him during training. However, he is the first and only player at our club that wears short trousers without any trouser pockets. That means he literally never has a ball available, I have to collect them every six shots or so. In the meantime he picks up one ball for his left hand and watches me doing the rest of the work. Told him a hundred times to get another trouser but he does not care :D :D

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I don't think I've ever seen a player where I play in a white t-shirt, it's understandable that it can be bothering!
In the local league where I play it's illegal to wear a white t-shirt and even white shorts.

A pet peeve for me are players who are obnoxious, don't encounter them too often though thankfully.
Another pet peeve (it shouldn't be though) is playing against long pimples for the reason that it slows the game down so much and makes it boring for me, it's also very tiring to have to lift those heavy backspin balls that keep coming back.

It's my own fault of course as I keep putting more spin, but I can't help myself. I prefer a faster paced game.

You have NEVER been to America where jokers roll Full Ghetto. :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I hate it when the walls are super white and bright, and when lighting is terrible.

I also hate it when the tables themselves are not straight and level.

I also hate it when people don't pick up the ball. It makes me think that those people are both deaf and blind.

Another is when players think they know about table tennis stuff and say stuff, when they clearly don't know or understand what they are saying. In real life, and on the internet, cough**TTREDDIT**AHEM.

This more important because it's about safety: I hate it when people get near me while I'm playing. ESPECIALLY IF THEY GET BEHIND ME. Lots of bystanders and non-players don't realize how much space players need.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Of course I always want to win but I also want to be respected and drink some beers after the match with our opponents in a good atmosphere.

You would definitely have fun on a TT Mission with Der_Echte. Very few people know how to create the kind of fun environment anywhere that he creates just by being himself. Everyone seems to laugh and have fun when on a mission with Der_.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Players who try to "win" warmups and also refuse to start a game.

Players that ask me to play or put their paddle down to play the winner. After a couple minutes of warming up, I ask them if they're ready to start and they explain to me that they don't play games..... What am I supposed to do with this?! They waited a whole match to play with me and now I'm expected to play with them for the rest of club time?? I can't leave because then I look like a jerk :(.

Players who yell on the table next to me. Not cho's but yelling trying to talk to someone that's not close enough to them for them to hear at a normal tone. It's a bit distracting.

Players who call winner, only to be nowhere in sight when the match is finished.

Players who aren't good but try to smash everything. I'm constantly picking up balls because they miss the table, I don't get a chance to try and improve because I'm so turned off knowing I'm going to win by doing nothing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Rule nazis. I mean who cares if I step on a damp towel every few points, or have to dry my hands off on my hand towel, or say something in the middle of the rally like "oh shit" or "woah". ESPECIALLY in club matches.

Players who take forever between points at the club. I get it, if it's a competition you play the game on your own terms and not to the opponents pace. But when we're practicing do you need to make sure to take 30 seconds between each point? Some people want to play more, not less.

Players that actually get angry.

Overrated bad players that think they're amazing: a player who did one tournaments and certainly got lucky with their rating, never did more tournaments to settle their ratings. If you beat these players you got lucky because he's rated higher and is therefore better. This kind of player won't play with bad players because it's not worth their time. Also if they lose it would damage their confidence too much.

Excuse players. This player is playing bad because they're getting used to a new paddle. Now they didn't get much sleep. Oop today they ate too much right before playing and they're sluggish also they didn't warm up. Seriously you can make excuses all you want in your head, but don't be a jerk trying to take someone's win from them. They beat you, if you're asked why you lost just say they were playing good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You would definitely have fun on a TT Mission with Der_Echte. Very few people know how to create the kind of fun environment anywhere that he creates just by being himself. Everyone seems to laugh and have fun when on a mission with Der_.

Hahahaha. Der_Echte the man on a mission haha.

But it is true, my idea of trouble making is really making fun and that just leads to my kind of trouble.

I have similar point interruption pet peeves that are 10x more severe than what our TTD members are revealing, and yes, I am not shy about expressing it, but at teh end of the day, the TT hall that I am in is gunna rock something fun... or else the Goon Squad is gunna chase everyone around NYC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Incorrect serves - it's cheating.
People who call' Let' when their ball comes onto your court whilst you're playing in a match - just wait until the point finishes, then call it.
People who walk onto the court to check the schedule for who is playing in the next game - patience is a virtue.
Long pimples and anti-loop rubbers, not competitively, surely.

says what [IMG]
People who serve out of their hand before you've even bent your knees even when you're putting your hand up to show "Wait up", and refuse to make it a let because you were "in position" and they were ready to serve.

Please don't tell me they're a problem in tourneys with no umpire.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Players who warm up like they're playing points.

You just get on with them and want to warm up. And they're trying to run you all over the table. SMH. I've even come across players like this in warmup before a match at a tournament. They're usually just uninformed. I don't waste energy chasing them. I'll just let it go by and when i get back to the table I'll gesture where to put it. They generally figure it out.

But there's this one 70 year old guy at our club who simply will not change and always does this. We normally hit 2-3 balls then I'll just say "okay we can just start" because it's crappy warm up.

also... Players who don't apologize for net & edge balls. Ever. If you didn't notice it caught the net, no big deal. I'm talking about the people who simply do not do it. I know that's kinda petty and this one is probably more of a me thing but it's generally accepted as standard table tennis etiquette.

Last edited:
“Cho-Guy”: Over cho-ers. People who cho for ever point, even a faulted serve, or a net/edge.

“Let-Guy”: There is a guy at my club that calls a let for everything in the club. (Der_Echte knows this joker). If a ball comes within a table, he lets. If you a guy goes for a loose ball 3 tables over…let. If the door opens…let. If the fluorescent lighting whines too loudly…let. Cat walks across floor too loudly…let. Seismic activity in the pacific ocean…. LET. And then he verbally berates people. I don’t even approach this donk anymore for a hit.

“Refuses to pick up a ball during practice-Guy”: There is a guy that if you practice or play him, and the ball falls on the ground on HIS side of the table, instead of picking it up and giving it to you, he flicks it on the floor or kicks it on the floor to your side for you to pick it up. He has no idea how rude that is, and I had to give him a lecture.

“Thank You-Guy”: When you fault a serve, and your opponent says, “thank you” snidely. You are already pissed off that you had a lapse in concentration and gave up a free point, but they rub it in your face by thanking you for it. Visions of murder and dismemberment run through my head when this occurs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
“Cho-Guy”: Over cho-ers. People who cho for ever point, even a faulted serve, or a net/edge.

I have a questionable and a possibly obnoxious way to deal with it. Every time they make an unforced error, "cho" loudly parodying the way they do it as close as possible. Works very well with kids who are the most annoying choers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I can tell you from experience , some really think this is the polite thing to do , they have no idea !
“Thank You-Guy”: When you fault a serve, and your opponent says, “thank you” snidely. You are already pissed off that you had a lapse in concentration and gave up a free point, but they rub it in your face by thanking you for it. Visions of murder and dismemberment run through my head when this occurs.

I have a questionable and a possibly obnoxious way to deal with it. Every time they make an unforced error, "cho" loudly parodying the way they do it as close as possible. Works very well with kids who are the most annoying choers.
Lately what I've been doing is coming to their side of the table and asking them what they said, as if I've never heard it before, and then asking them what it means, to which there is no answer....

...they get short-circuited.