USA Olympic selection process change

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
When did I said he was suspended in germany?
are you the one not looking at facts on my posts?
Sorry, but I do not read German, and of what link I found, it states he left on good terms
https://www.ettu.org/en/n/news/2015/june/dttb-and-jorg-bitzigeio-go-separate-ways/
(hint, Liu Guoliang's firing and isolation, I mean promotion in the news media 2 year ago was worded in "good terms too")

I said he apparently tried the same thing back in Germany - choosing players that he feels is better and not selection others. isn't that the same thing now? coach is bigger than players pathway on merit?

Thinking back, this reminds me of Deng Yaping, she was not selected for CNT because the coaches feel she will never do well internationally (reasoning - she was too short) and guess what happened? She became national champion and CNT had no choice by include her in the international circuit, then guess what happened? so far she is the best women player of all time.
Should coaches have full realm of selecting who they think are the best - Deng Yaping would have never played a world championship... this a fact

49938587_10218236723540576_4993918269317447680_n.jpg

now I didn't say I know the facts of what happened in Germany.
Did he try his approach by selecting or not selecting players? Did he force Amelia to play for Austria because Amelia could not make the German national team by merit as coaches selection the only way?

This article (which was shared by Wang Chen and I do not know where it comes from, but Wang Chen is friends who all the Chinese German coaches/players) stated "He did not believe the girls has international prospect?

Now my questions to you is, who gives the coach a right to believe the girls has or has no international prospect? if the player can get there by merit (I am assuming the sisters are good junior players back in Germany - note, I have no knowledge of German TT junior team today or back then), then what was the fight between the dad and coach about?

Leaving one country to another is not mickey mouse issue

No matter how good or not the coach is. Today's word is about democratic society - fairness.
No individual a few individuals should be allowed to determine the fate of everyone just like that. This is my stand in this whole issue.
I do not know who this coach is and barely know about him or the history.
But from what I read in this article and what is happening in USA right now, and read from some legal expertise, and see that Wang Chen has gone the legal pathway. I wish the spirit of Olympic Games as the winner here

Ok, i probably misunderstood your post, so apology for that.
But i understood it as somewhat:
look at Bitzigeio. First he tried his crooked methods in Germany, got caught and got fired. Now he tries 'em again in the States.

So I must say sorry for that, but my reaction should be kinda understandable.
False information can lead to very terrible things. Sadly the Rohingya have felt what hatespeech, hoaxes and false information can cause and lead to. Even one of the biggest countries voted for a president based on falsified Information and another country which had good relations to their neighbours voted to leave the European Union based on false Information. But now after many lies and wrong Information have been exposed the people's opinion starts changing.
So I hope that people understand why i think it is important to take a stand and contribute to the clarification process.

One point of mine is, that these two different cases are what they are:
TWO DIFFERENT CASES and CAN'T be compared in my humble opinion.

First of all, in Germany until very recently there weren't any trials held.
The headcoach's decision is the headcoach's decision, and not even the president can tell him who he should select and who not. But if things don't work out the way they've been planned then the coach also will be FULLY held responsible.
Trials just came up lately and aren't even mandatory. When Rosskopf says he doesn't need trials to help pick his team then hardly anyone will question that and question his authority. Just to let you understand a little where Bitzigeio's coming from.

And yes, there were heavy disputes between Pavel Solja and the German association. Maybe one should add that Papa Solja was (actually still is) a good player and an A-class coach (highest German coaching degree) and has having disputes with the German association before, he's also been succesfully coaching Dagmar Solja (his wife) and Susanne (Peti's and Amelie's older sister).
Sorry that I don't have the time right now to translate the previous article i've posted. If I find the time this evening I can give it a try. Maybe meanwhile one could also copy and paste it to google translate.

That what happened in the article 2012 has actually started much earlier.

To give a better understanding of what's been going on:
In 2009 the Saarbrücker Zeitung posted the following article.
https://m.saarbruecker-zeitung.de/sport/sz-sport/der-solja-streit-mit-dem-dttb_aid-351078

Short recap: the coaches and the association wanted Peti to move to the German National Tabletennis Center in Düsseldorf, but after half a year Peti said she didn't feel well there and started having a negative streak and losing a few matches in a row. So then she left Düsseldorf and went back to Wörth, the place where her Papa coaches, and all of a sudden she started winning again.
Bitzigeio also said Peti's fitness level still leaves room for improvement and Peti countered that she was the fittest in her age group.
This whole thing escalated and was leading to the aforementioned situation where Bitzigeio quit his job saying he felt too little support from the DTTB.

Amelie was a whole different case. After her frictionless pips got forbidden she wasn't as succesful as before and her success slowly started coming back after she moved to Anti.

As understandable as a protective (some might say overlyprotective) dad may be,
now imagine this happening in China.
What if ZJK's dad would have done this or let's say more recent Wang Chuqin's Dad wouldn't want him to practice at the Chinese National Center? I guess as understandable as the dad's position might be, i bet no one would question the headcoach's decision.
And China probably has a few more talents with a good perspective than Germany has. Numberswise.

Or what if one of your student's father was a coach and was manipulating and sab*otaging your job? [*sorry
for the 'typo' but otherwise the forum wouldn't let me use that word]

For bystanders this might look as quite manipulative and as an intrigue that's heavily backstabbing the coach and very very unprofessional, which makes Papa Solja look manipulative, makes the coach look weak and the association look spineless and unprofessional and makes no one look good in the end.

So that's why I wrote one just shouldn't compare these two situations. They just aren't comparable from my perspective.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
First of all, in Germany until very recently there weren't any trials held.
The headcoach's decision is the headcoach's decision, not even the president can tell him who he should select. But if things don't work out the way they've been planned then the coach also will be held responsible.
Trials just came up lately and aren't even mandatory. When Rosskopf says he doesn't need trials to help pick bis team then hardly anyone will question that and question his authority. Just to let you understand a little where Bitzigeio's coming from.

I remember one WTTC, Germany had 5 spots and Filus was injured, and Rosskopf left the spot for him unfilled though any player could have been selected in Filus's place. He felt that if no one qualified by ranking, they shouldn't go. But he could have selected anyone else he wanted to.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I don't think Bitzigeio should be allowed to force his German tt customs for selection on the USA tt scene, when in the USA do as the Americans.

No question, but anyhow I don't think this is what's happening here.
Firstly this is not a German TT custom per se, many countries used to do it this way and still do so and I can not imagine he's doing anything that his contract wouldn't allow him to do.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Does the HPD need to name his two players before the trials? If not he could just tell the players they made the team before the trials so there is less pressure on them, then if they win name someone else.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
USA TT is like being selected for the Jamaican Bobsled team.

Sometimes it's fairer to compete and other times it isn't. What if Kanak had a short-term injury during qualification and missed the team? Is that fair based on his work or performance over the four years since Rio?

A mix of selected and competed places seems like a decent balance to strike.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
USA TT is like being selected for the Jamaican Bobsled team.

Sometimes it's fairer to compete and other times it isn't. What if Kanak had a short-term injury during qualification and missed the team? Is that fair based on his work or performance over the four years since Rio?

A mix of selected and competed places seems like a decent balance to strike.

Thats why in most countries, a minority spot is for coaches decision
I think the argument is not about allowing the coach to select a minority spot, but rather the argument is that the coaches are selecting majority of the spots

So the next question is, what if you have 5 players of equal caliber of Kanak
which 3 will make the team fairly?

This user has no status.
A small European country I know has recently selected their team for the world's and the number 2 woman was not picked, the number 3 was instead. The number 3 is very young so they are probably thinking of the future but it seemed unfair to me. The future shouldn't matter so much when a single selection can be a career highlight and you aren't going to win anything in future anyway. I.e. for small countries not China who obviously only care about winning. I think letting someone purely select is too unfair and has too much potential corruption. It should be mostly objective, maybe one subjective spot for bigger countries.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
This is the Olympics. It happens only once every 4 years. It's a much bigger stage than the Worlds. It's the culmination of a sporting career. Not choosing the best, instead picking people with "potential" so they can gain experience is ridiculous. For many athletes being an Olympian, regardless of whether you win, will be the highlight of their career.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
March 10, 2019

Lily Zhang beat an ITTF WR #54 and lost to a WR #312.

Wouldn't a complete competition remove the doubt for qualifying by the up and coming new talents ?

Sometimes I wonder whether people who make such statements actually remember that Lily played the trials.

The #54 was the current German Champion. The #312 is a Chinese born German national team member who is a short pips penholder and was for many years at the top of European table tennis. She just does not play as many tour events but she was a key member of the silver winning team in Rio in 2016. Unfortunately, the details don't matter when people just want to argue a topic incessantly.