Video Footage Safe Thread

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
Hey everyone. I am a FH oriented guy - working on bh in training currently but struggling to use it in actual games . FH pendulum is my go to service and then looking to kill 3rd ball, don't usually fancy going past the 5th ball. Never filmed myself and so never realized that i should really try to bend a bit more ( i am staying too upright, am i not?) Not one of my best games but it got recorded so thought why not use it for some feedback..

youtube

I am the guy in the orange shirt. Any feedback is appreciated.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
ITTF World Team Event is ongoing; so a couple of weeks ago, someone from my club suggested to the office bearers that my club should also host a similar event just for fun.

My club closed Internal Team Event was held yesterday and I participated. I am placed at the lowest rung ( understandably ). The format is round robin so I also get to play against top tier player.

Below are three videos I recorded. Feel free to comment and critique.

Video One:
This elderly gentleman is mid tier, perhaps slightly above me. I learned from my peer he was in his youth a provincial representative. He came from the era of speed glue & Sriver. You can really see his really ol'skool style pf playing: Fishing / Lobbing and slow spinny loop with placement as his main weapon. He won 2-1. Due to the number of matches to be played, all games are played best of three sets.

Game 2: This is a doubles game. I usually tend to do better in Doubles.

Game 3: This game was actually played first and my opponent was a Tier One player, several level higher than I am. Watch how he destroy me. On my personal defense, this was my first match of the day and I was not mentally prepared to face a player much better than I am. You can see my hesitation and sheepishness here. My opponent took less than five minutes to send me packing.

========================================

I posted this at the general chit-chat thread yesterday but did not get much traction. I repost it here hoping can get some feedback and comment on my match-play. Hope to hear some comment from more experienced players. Thanks.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey everyone. I am a FH oriented guy - working on bh in training currently but struggling to use it in actual games . FH pendulum is my go to service and then looking to kill 3rd ball, don't usually fancy going past the 5th ball. Never filmed myself and so never realized that i should really try to bend a bit more ( i am staying too upright, am i not?) Not one of my best games but it got recorded so thought why not use it for some feedback..

youtube

Can someone take a look at Exotick's footage and give a little feedback?

Thanks.

Reactions: NextLevel
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl in a Trouble causing mood I see...

I would say two things:

1 ... set your camera on right hand side of table... the player near the camera is blocking the view of nearly everything.

2 ... learn how to block... soft hand cover the ball near the bounce... this guy or ones like him will not be consistent attacking strongly from the block.

3 ... I Lied, oh well, yes, you play pretty upright, at least try to get lower when it counts.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

youtube

I would work on some stretches and training to improve wrist and arm flexibility and finger usage. Maybe it is your grip, but for someone with your fitness, your game looks as if your arms are a bit locked so you aren't transferring enough of your power into the speed and spin on the ball.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

youtube

Carl in a Trouble causing mood I see...

I would say two things:

1 ... set your camera on right hand side of table... the player near the camera is blocking the view of nearly everything.

2 ... learn how to block... soft hand cover the ball near the bounce... this guy or ones like him will not be consistent attacking strongly from the block.

3 ... I Lied, oh well, yes, you play pretty upright, at least try to get lower when it counts.
I would work on some stretches and training to improve wrist and arm flexibility and finger usage. Maybe it is your grip, but for someone with your fitness, your game looks as if your arms are a bit locked so you aren't transferring enough of your power into the speed and spin on the ball.

Thanks guys. I also notice that there are a lot of long serves and long pushes that are being pushed back. It would be worth working on being able to attack those whenever you want. You might not do it all the time. But most of the time, if someone gives you a long push it should be a birthday gift since they are asking you to attack it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks guys. I also notice that there are a lot of long serves and long pushes that are being pushed back. It would be worth working on being able to attack those whenever you want. You might not do it all the time. But most of the time, if someone gives you a long push it should be a birthday gift since they are asking you to attack it.
Agreed, I think that is because the stroke quality doesn't consistently make him feel confident to attack those balls. That's why I spoke about stiffness because I think once he has the technique and racket head speed to attack those balls consistently, his pushing will go away.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Agreed, I think that is because the stroke quality doesn't consistently make him feel confident to attack those balls. That's why I spoke about stiffness because I think once he has the technique and racket head speed to attack those balls consistently, his pushing will go away.

Fully agree. We are talking about different aspects of the same basic subject. :)

And one of the best ways to work on improving attacking shots vs backspin is to work on attacking long heavy backspin over and over and over, to train it. And when you do that, you usually end up improving your loop vs any shot. :)

says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
Nov 2022
Hi there! I worked on my BH a bit and changed equipment again🤣 but now I slowed down a bat with an OFF- blade and Chinese hybrid rubbers.

I used to play backhand close to the table just from it's bounce using wrist and upper arm and I(not only I) found it non-consistent and not spinny. So I worked on forearm rotation around the elbow more. It got more spinny but still not really consistent. And I don't feel good looping backspin: how not to drop the ball into the net and brush properly because when I open the angle the ball always goes long. Maybe the problem is in legs or body or the timing idk but I think I misunderstand the idea of creating spin with my forearm. I spin well only with wrist.

And I made a bit FH in the video. I think it's nice but I lack footwork and maybe should take a bit more backswing.

Now I'm gonna mainly work on BH and on the weight transferring on FH.

Could you help me with my BH please and say some words about the FH. Thanks.

Here's the video:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Hi guys,

today i will post a few videos which i will remove again after i got the feedback in here.

Since i have had my fair share of training with a proper trainer i think i do have a pretty good understanding of all the things i can work on and the list has more than 10 items definitely. What i am trying to get thoughts on are the low hanging fruits and a better prioritization of things to progress more easily.

Just imagine i would only have the ability to actively think of one or two things to improve on in a training match. Which would these be ?
This is really what is the most difficult for me, because if i try to remember everything inside a match i will probably not really focus on anything.

What i am currently mostly focussed on is actually using my backhand for anything other than pushing. Since i developed my strokes one by one, the backhand push is of course intuitively the thing i would resort to under pressure this this was the first thing i learned.

Please tell me what you think would be the fastest to get ingrained into my intuitive game, so i can progress past it to focuss on other things.

A short list of things to work on:

- footwork : when i get drawn into a push battle i step into the table with my right leg to get closer to the ball, but if the next ball is short as well (which it will most likely be), i will just plant my right foot forward and never return to the regular "ready" position. This will disable me from moving to the right properly and also make backhand strokes more likely, because i can't forehand loop like this.

- footwork : wide stance - i do think the wide stance i sometimes have is OK because i see high level player have a wide stance and just jump with two feed to the sides to get into position. senior players of some clubs will tell me "table tennis is the sport of the many little steps. get your feed closer together". These player do play with a narrower stance but they will also have a more straight/upward body, while i try to stay low to make it more natural to forehand loop half long balls.

- backhand loop against backspin - while i am able to loop underspin with the proper stroke inside multiball or robot training, when i am under pressure and inside the match i always resort to a more short and more sideswipe style motion. This makes consistency an issue because there is just a pretty small part of the stroke where i need to hit the ball to get a good shot out of it. In training i can do a good backhand loop of underspin while having a forward motion, but in the match it is always this clockwise round motion rotating my underarm clockwise around the elbow joint.

- smashes : simply put, i dont do them. Never learned them and i think it is pointless to learn it at this stage. The occasian where a very high ball get's played is not that often, so i would not benefit hugely from being able to smash high balls. Most of the time i let the ball fall until it is around the level of my shoulders and simply try to drive loop them. This works at 70% of the cases, but of course is not always the finisher. What i intuitively sometimes do is instead of attacking such odd balls, i do a tomahawk chop which often enough leads the opponent to missjudge the ball and hit the corner of the bat while trying to smash it or smash it wide, since the spin they expect on the ball is not present.

- backhand flick - did not train it enough, so i dont use it

- forhand flick - i only really do forehand flick serves that i know very well. So if i know the opponent has a short serve with not much underspin to my forhand, i will flick it.

- backhand push - i have the ability to play 3 types of backhand push. My default one is risky but quite successful at the low level i play. By default i try to impart more backspin with a hard chop motion. If i do this with a flat trajectory the power i put into the chop can make the ball go wide/over the table easily, so i chop them with a higher arc that baits the opponent into smashing them. 80% of the people i play against that try this end up with the ball being smashed into the net, because the expected a high push with no backspin. I can do the "little" backspin push/touch, but i don't see much value in it currently, since these are way easier to flip or attack. I know that if i get better opponents, i will have to adjust this, but right now it serves me well.

- serves - i know we talked about the topic of illegal serves and since i can not force people that do wrong serves for 50 years already to do proper ones, the only illegal thing i can counter with is throwing the ball a little to myself before hitting it. This does generate more spin and it's ok for me and my opponents (at least nobody ever complained).

- ball contact point - when i play a singles match i try to focuss mainly on staying low and hitting the ball high, but that really is not very intuitively to me. I would rather let the ball fall a bit and play with more spin than hitting it high and with more power. That is just what i am used to.

- blocks - i don't do them. Very rarely i trained to block, so these are not a part of my general game. If they happen intuitively, that is ok, if not then i don't worry too much yet.

- forehand loops : they are ok. There is improvement potential by using less upper arm/shoulder and more lower arm and wrist, but how i do it currently is sufficient to me.

- after-serve positioning : if i do a long serve i shall jump back a little, to be able to go into the ball when i loop it. This is not intuitive to me so i don't do it very often. In singles i do try to serve light backspin long into the opponents backhand to receive a long return that i can attack.

- grip : if i actively think about using a more "two finger" grip while looping, i do have a better consistency and spin while looping with fore hand, but i don't do it often. On the backhand i have way better consistency if i change my grip to have my thumb more in the middle of the blade face, but again this is not ingrained yet.

- ball positioning: while i do use positioning from time to time while pushing, when it comes to looping i just loop where it seems most convenient or intuitive to me, which is mostly diagonally. The only case where i loop down the line is when somebody serves long to my wide forehand.

This was a training session with a local club that plays in the first and second city league which is a league originally created out of company teams, so you had to be part of the company to play in it. This changed quite a while back so you can simply join the team of company XYZ even though you don't work for it. This is pretty much the lowest level of competition you can get into around here. The level is around the lowest two or three leagues in germany.

I am the one with the most hair on his head, black/dark green shirt and light blue butterfly shoes.

These are the matches i am showing you:

Matches are in 4K, but some of them will take some more processing time for youtube to offer them in 4k

Match against H: He has been playing table tennis in his youth and just came back to it. His age, knees and weight have been keeping him back, but he is slowly recovering and getting into form. He has decent (old) technique and is a quite consistent blocker.

Match against player W. He was playing in the first city league at spot 4 (of 4) in the past season and now has changed to playing in the second city league team at spot 1 (of 4). He is a very seasoned player and does mostly counter/drive and not loop (at least he does not loop underspin, but rather shovel the ball over). His serves to not have much spin which i do have more problems with than if they had greater spin (since i am used to receive more spinny serves). I am happy with him beating me 3:2. The most important to me is using the right strokes and try to attack. If i was going for the win i would definitely push more, but that would not really make me a better player, so i try stuff instead of doing the "secure" thing.

Doubles match with W against O and F:

W (tall, grey hair, black/blue cloth) is receiving serves in doubles with his forehand, but is adamant that he wants to step aside to the left and wants his partner to stand behind him on the right, which means as right hander i would start the ball on the far forhand. This i don't agree with, because i'd rather start in my backhand corner, than in my wide forehand corner.

O (white t-shirt) is playing at the first spot of his team in the first city league. He has huge reach and pretty good talent. He can play short and pretty much flip everything over the table. He is playing Rasanter R37 and even though you expect these to be pretty bounce, he has no problem putting the ball 10 cm behind the net with a touch. He has no trouble with any spin, but sometimes tries too fancy shots which will cost him more points than necessary.

F (light blue t-shirt) is more of a guy that tries to keep the ball inside the game countering/fishing the ball back onto the table and smashing from time to time. He plays at the 4th spot in the second city league team.

I don't play in any of the teams, since i don't want to get into the mode that i will play safe and ugly shots to win points instead of doing the right stroke at the right time.

Because you might have forgotten by the time you viewed the videos and read this post:
My question is what do you think i should focuss first on and what is the lowest hanging fruit that i can tackle (let's say in one or two month)? Bare in mind that i think i can think actively about improving one aspect of the game in matches, so what should i focuss on to get a "quick" win that will be learned fastest.

Feel free to comment on other things you noticed, perhaps there is something i did not notice yet and that would be put onto my list of things to improve :p

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey JK1980,

Great videos!

You seem VERY aware of your level and what needs to be worked on which is fantastic to see.

I don't really have much advice, as you have covered so much of it yourself.

A few comments would be....

Serving:

- serves - i know we talked about the topic of illegal serves and since i can not force people that do wrong serves for 50 years already to do proper ones, the only illegal thing i can counter with is throwing the ball a little to myself before hitting it. This does generate more spin and it's ok for me and my opponents (at least nobody ever complained).

We have a saying in the UK, "2 wrongs don't make a right".

I don't think your ball toss is *that* bad (yes, it's illegal, but likely not that much different to some pros!)

But if you really wanted to work on your game the *right* way, this is an easy fix.

Backhand:

- backhand loop against backspin - while i am able to loop underspin with the proper stroke inside multiball or robot training, when i am under pressure and inside the match i always resort to a more short and more sideswipe style motion. This makes consistency an issue because there is just a pretty small part of the stroke where i need to hit the ball to get a good shot out of it. In training i can do a good backhand loop of underspin while having a forward motion, but in the match it is always this clockwise round motion rotating my underarm clockwise around the elbow joint.

The only way to overcome this is to really commit to it in matches. It'll take months, but if you don't care about losing matches, you just need to start opening up on the backhand and being more aggressive.

It's 50% mental and 50% experience with this (as you said you could do it in training). Spend all summer just hitting backhand loops and you'll soon get it.

Blocks:

- blocks - i don't do them. Very rarely i trained to block, so these are not a part of my general game. If they happen intuitively, that is ok, if not then i don't worry too much yet.

Such an underrated part of the game for anyone under pro level.

Find someone who can loop well and practice it - You'll be amazed how far you can get with good blocks (it also improves your touch and feel).

Hopefully some easy points for you there! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hi guys,

today i will post a few videos which i will remove again after i got the feedback in here.

Since i have had my fair share of training with a proper trainer i think i do have a pretty good understanding of all the things i can work on and the list has more than 10 items definitely. What i am trying to get thoughts on are the low hanging fruits and a better prioritization of things to progress more easily.

Just imagine i would only have the ability to actively think of one or two things to improve on in a training match. Which would these be ?
This is really what is the most difficult for me, because if i try to remember everything inside a match i will probably not really focus on anything.

What i am currently mostly focussed on is actually using my backhand for anything other than pushing. Since i developed my strokes one by one, the backhand push is of course intuitively the thing i would resort to under pressure this this was the first thing i learned.

Please tell me what you think would be the fastest to get ingrained into my intuitive game, so i can progress past it to focuss on other things.

A short list of things to work on:

- footwork : when i get drawn into a push battle i step into the table with my right leg to get closer to the ball, but if the next ball is short as well (which it will most likely be), i will just plant my right foot forward and never return to the regular "ready" position. This will disable me from moving to the right properly and also make backhand strokes more likely, because i can't forehand loop like this.

- footwork : wide stance - i do think the wide stance i sometimes have is OK because i see high level player have a wide stance and just jump with two feed to the sides to get into position. senior players of some clubs will tell me "table tennis is the sport of the many little steps. get your feed closer together". These player do play with a narrower stance but they will also have a more straight/upward body, while i try to stay low to make it more natural to forehand loop half long balls.

- smashes : simply put, i dont do them. Never learned them and i think it is pointless to learn it at this stage. The occasian where a very high ball get's played is not that often, so i would not benefit hugely from being able to smash high balls. Most of the time i let the ball fall until it is around the level of my shoulders and simply try to drive loop them. This works at 70% of the cases, but of course is not always the finisher. What i intuitively sometimes do is instead of attacking such odd balls, i do a tomahawk chop which often enough leads the opponent to missjudge the ball and hit the corner of the bat while trying to smash it or smash it wide, since the spin they expect on the ball is not present.

- backhand flick - did not train it enough, so i dont use it

- forhand flick - i only really do forehand flick serves that i know very well. So if i know the opponent has a short serve with not much underspin to my forhand, i will flick it.

- backhand push - i have the ability to play 3 types of backhand push. My default one is risky but quite successful at the low level i play. By default i try to impart more backspin with a hard chop motion. If i do this with a flat trajectory the power i put into the chop can make the ball go wide/over the table easily, so i chop them with a higher arc that baits the opponent into smashing them. 80% of the people i play against that try this end up with the ball being smashed into the net, because the expected a high push with no backspin. I can do the "little" backspin push/touch, but i don't see much value in it currently, since these are way easier to flip or attack. I know that if i get better opponents, i will have to adjust this, but right now it serves me well.

- ball contact point - when i play a singles match i try to focuss mainly on staying low and hitting the ball high, but that really is not very intuitively to me. I would rather let the ball fall a bit and play with more spin than hitting it high and with more power. That is just what i am used to.

- forehand loops : they are ok. There is improvement potential by using less upper arm/shoulder and more lower arm and wrist, but how i do it currently is sufficient to me.

- after-serve positioning : if i do a long serve i shall jump back a little, to be able to go into the ball when i loop it. This is not intuitive to me so i don't do it very often. In singles i do try to serve light backspin long into the opponents backhand to receive a long return that i can attack.

- grip : if i actively think about using a more "two finger" grip while looping, i do have a better consistency and spin while looping with fore hand, but i don't do it often. On the backhand i have way better consistency if i change my grip to have my thumb more in the middle of the blade face, but again this is not ingrained yet.

- ball positioning: while i do use positioning from time to time while pushing, when it comes to looping i just loop where it seems most convenient or intuitive to me, which is mostly diagonally. The only case where i loop down the line is when somebody serves long to my wide forehand.

This was a training session with a local club that plays in the first and second city league which is a league originally created out of company teams, so you had to be part of the company to play in it. This changed quite a while back so you can simply join the team of company XYZ even though you don't work for it. This is pretty much the lowest level of competition you can get into around here. The level is around the lowest two or three leagues in germany.

I am the one with the most hair on his head, black/dark green shirt and light blue butterfly shoes.

These are the matches i am showing you:

Matches are in 4K, but some of them will take some more processing time for youtube to offer them in 4k

Match against H: He has been playing table tennis in his youth and just came back to it. His age, knees and weight have been keeping him back, but he is slowly recovering and getting into form. He has decent (old) technique and is a quite consistent blocker.

Match against player W. He was playing in the first city league at spot 4 (of 4) in the past season and now has changed to playing in the second city league team at spot 1 (of 4). He is a very seasoned player and does mostly counter/drive and not loop (at least he does not loop underspin, but rather shovel the ball over). His serves to not have much spin which i do have more problems with than if they had greater spin (since i am used to receive more spinny serves). I am happy with him beating me 3:2. The most important to me is using the right strokes and try to attack. If i was going for the win i would definitely push more, but that would not really make me a better player, so i try stuff instead of doing the "secure" thing.

Doubles match with W against O and F:

W (tall, grey hair, black/blue cloth) is receiving serves in doubles with his forehand, but is adamant that he wants to step aside to the left and wants his partner to stand behind him on the right, which means as right hander i would start the ball on the far forhand. This i don't agree with, because i'd rather start in my backhand corner, than in my wide forehand corner.

O (white t-shirt) is playing at the first spot of his team in the first city league. He has huge reach and pretty good talent. He can play short and pretty much flip everything over the table. He is playing Rasanter R37 and even though you expect these to be pretty bounce, he has no problem putting the ball 10 cm behind the net with a touch. He has no trouble with any spin, but sometimes tries too fancy shots which will cost him more points than necessary.

F (light blue t-shirt) is more of a guy that tries to keep the ball inside the game countering/fishing the ball back onto the table and smashing from time to time. He plays at the 4th spot in the second city league team.

I don't play in any of the teams, since i don't want to get into the mode that i will play safe and ugly shots to win points instead of doing the right stroke at the right time.

Because you might have forgotten by the time you viewed the videos and read this post:
My question is what do you think i should focuss first on and what is the lowest hanging fruit that i can tackle (let's say in one or two month)? Bare in mind that i think i can think actively about improving one aspect of the game in matches, so what should i focuss on to get a "quick" win that will be learned fastest.

Feel free to comment on other things you noticed, perhaps there is something i did not notice yet and that would be put onto my list of things to improve :p
The biggest thing I think would change your game is fast arm swing into the ball to generate a lot or spin. This is best practiced against backspin balls, then against all kinds of balls, so that the swing is adaptable to many balls. It might require a lower stance at the table for maximum ease but if done from a standing position, the compromise is that the ball will have higher arc and travel more slowly through the table which can be a good or bad thing depending on opponent, but becomes bad as you play others who can attack such balls consistently if the spin quality is not very, very high.

I think if you get the fast swing action just to generate heavy rotation right on both forehand and backhand (think of it as forming a mountain over the ball, a higher mountain for backspin) and focus on heavy brush, then you won't push as much. I personally don't see anything so bad in your serve. Just about everyone serves illegally because the new rules are so detailed, but you can work on it for sure. I would just make your strokes much more heavy spin oriented so that you can attack any ball with confidence and then go from there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hi there! I worked on my BH a bit and changed equipment again🤣 but now I slowed down a bat with an OFF- blade and Chinese hybrid rubbers.

I used to play backhand close to the table just from it's bounce using wrist and upper arm and I(not only I) found it non-consistent and not spinny. So I worked on forearm rotation around the elbow more. It got more spinny but still not really consistent. And I don't feel good looping backspin: how not to drop the ball into the net and brush properly because when I open the angle the ball always goes long. Maybe the problem is in legs or body or the timing idk but I think I misunderstand the idea of creating spin with my forearm. I spin well only with wrist.

And I made a bit FH in the video. I think it's nice but I lack footwork and maybe should take a bit more backswing.

Here's the video:
I like your conceptual game, I think OFF- blade *AND* hybrid rubbers is a bit much (slow) for someone as young as you, I would prefer solid OFF blade with Hybrid, or OFF- blade with fast, spinny rubbers.

For the backhand stroke itself, the first thing that enabled me to swing better was to use continuous motion through the backswing to activate whip effect. This means that that your backswing should not stop and wait for the ball, but before coming forward, you should do a light takeback or circular motion so your racket is moving even before it comes forward. If you watch Timo Boll, Fan Zhendong, Pitchford or any of the advanced modern backhands, you will see very fast backswing acceleration just before coming forward, almost on reflex during practice. It is a check mark, and it can be done in a variety of ways. Leading the stroke with the wrist pointing towards your target is one way. But as long as you are backswinging to reduce inertia and coming forward aggressively and time it well, the quality will go way up vs swinging forward from a stationary position.

The next important thing was to figure out where on the ball to hit to get maximum effect while not being inconsistent. The back of the ball was okay, but for me, I found that I could swing harder and more confidently when I hit the sides of the ball while still following through forward while contacting towards the tip of racket. It is a looping stroke but I felt more confident because I could hit the ball solidly with power, whereby hitting from the back, I felt if I swung too hard, I would hit the ball long, especially if I was using regular rubber and not setting the angle right. I minimized the sidespin with the follow through but I was able to increase power and spin which for me is very important. But this contact method is just me, it might be different for you. I would encourage you to experiment.

For the forehand, aggressive use of the knees in a healthy fashion adds a lot. The same whip and contact ideas work but think about what it would take to throw something really far and figure out how to use your body to do it safely. Good luck!

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Here's the video:

Your strokes are good. You are spinning the ball. There is a lot that is good that is happening in the footage you posted.

you may want to train BH vs Backspin. It could be multiball or it could be serve, long push to BH, loop with BH over and over and over and over and over. Literally thousands of times. At a certain point, you start feeling comfortable with it and you adjust the stroke so you are spinning the ball forward and over the net vs backspin. If you do that, it will also improve your BH vs topspin....so, it is worth working on it.

How is your FH vs Backspin. It looks like it is probably fine based on seeing just your stroke. But if it is not, the same drill with the push to the middle or FH side and you open with FH would also be worth practicing. But your FH looks a little more solid and consistent than the BH.

The practice vs backspin should get the most of the kinks that need to be sorted out for your BH to be sorted out. And it will make your BH more consistent and more powerful if you practice it a decent amount.

If it is multiball, bucket after bucket after bucket of looping backspin balls with the BH.

Reactions: Fnub and NextLevel
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi @jk1980 ,

One thing off the top... if you want to return with underspin... do NOT wait for ball to come to you... you give opponent DOUBLE time and space to see things... and the touch is more difficult. STEP IN and TOUCH the ball near the bounce with little to no swing... control rebound with grip pressure. For some very obvious facts of physics, it is MUCH EASIER to control the ball if you impact near the bounce... and I must emphasize you need very little swing if any to return underspin.

Dude in 2nd vid tossed ball totally backwards haha, but it wasn't a difficult serve to read.

On a similar note, you hold ball in front of endline and move it back to initiate serve.... try to slow down, move hand and ball behind endline pause a couple seconds... then serve, it will help you a lot.

I would not want to get into the topspin shots right now... you need to learn to serve and to return underspin near bounce first before topspin will help you at this point.

For now, work on getting closer to the bounce on shots you do not want to attack and avoid giving away points first.

Reactions: jk1980
Nov 2022
Thanks, @UpSideDownCarl
I will try to use the backhand more in my real game to make it a part of my game, not just a "new skill". There is a phycological barrier but I don't mind losing some rating points to improve my game.
Thanks, @NextLevel. I get your point and it sounds pretty much right but I didn't understand wdym by saying about the circular motion through the backswing. I shouldn't stop my bat to give a ball more energy? I don't think it's really noticeable in Pro's technique but I suppose that it is something like Ma Long's circular FH backswing motion but on the BH? Could you tell me about it a bit more detailed please

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Lookin for constructive criticism and feedback on my game
I’m the one wearing glasses in a black shirt

the game starts from 5:32

Hey @h3llary ,

I will not write the wall of text... I could do this on your BH alone (your BH 1st shot is good, the next one(s) not so good - errors)

You seem to be comfortable playing a style to allow opponent to open the point and take risks, maybe miss a shot, and you block or counter. This is a control style some famous players use, so not 100% attacking can work.

Looked at only game 1 and I see everything I need to see to give you appropriate feedback.

You lost points on 4-5 FH counter topspin attacks. All the misses went out long. Your swing plane wasn't terrible... You were not quite in position (I think from opponent making it difficult for you) I believe it was your grip pressure making the ball go out given your semi late establishment of position... so in this situation where you do not have the best of leverage... shorten the stroke and LOOSEN your GRIP... that ball will go on the table... it will not be a devastating topspin, but you will not give away the point right away, you will likely stay in the point and have another chance to attack... MAYBE opponent gives you the gift of an error... either way, if you get those 4-5 balls back on the table, you would win at least 2 points instead of lose five...

That alone is HUGE... you go 2-2 or 2-3 instead of 0-4 or 0-5... that is like plus 2 for you and minus two for opponent... which is 4 point turn-around alone !

Your BH... you missed 3-4 BH attacks, mostly on the block of your first good BH attack (usually vs his serve) You tended to strike the ball too far in front - the ball wasn't quite coming back to you. You may need to take a step in with your right foot, use a shorter stroke and FIRM STRONG at impact for a fast hit attack... You would have gained 1-2 points from that.

As it was, you won game one by keeping it on table mostly, a little attacking, and letting him make the errors... if you reduce your unforced errors in the manner I showed you, then you would be under less pressure to win points late... all that pressure on opponent.

Reactions: Johnniedarko