Video Footage Safe Thread

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I did not speak much of your strong points... I will keep it to serves...

I normally see that players from your country at the amateur level tend to serve long nearly 100% and let opponent attack... and get into a fast hitting rally.

I rarely see any attempt to serve short to mess up opponent timing and footwork... even at advanced amateur levels I do not see this much from your country... yet I see YOU serve short occasionally to take advantage of this... and it made your long serves more effective.

So in this regard, your service strategy was a combat multiplier for you... you put in x effort and got 2x return.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks, @UpSideDownCarl
I will try to use the backhand more in my real game to make it a part of my game, not just a "new skill". There is a phycological barrier but I don't mind losing some rating points to improve my game.
Thanks, @NextLevel. I get your point and it sounds pretty much right but I didn't understand wdym by saying about the circular motion through the backswing. I shouldn't stop my bat to give a ball more energy? I don't think it's really noticeable in Pro's technique but I suppose that it is something like Ma Long's circular FH backswing motion but on the BH? Could you tell me about it a bit more detailed please
Check out the Tom Lodziak video where he compares what he does to what Liam does. Both players actually track the ball with the backswing but the check mark motion or circular backswing is much more pronounced in Pitchford (for natural reasons) and ends up with his backswing leading with the wrist before coming forward. Not for everyone, but if you can get a bit more flexibility and do it, your topspin quality in terms of speed and spin you can bring to the ball on shorter strokes including close to the table topspins and backhand flicks will go up tremendously. You can see that the whipping is timed to the ball so that you can more quality over a short distance. It is easier to do or practice vs backspin balls but with practice it just becomes a natural part of your technique.

Reactions: Fnub
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Wanted to get some advice from the experts in this thread. The video below is me recently practicing some FHs. Wasn't really focused on consistency but trying out different ways of contacting the ball.

I especially liked the way 2 or 3 of the FHs I hit at around the 1:53 looked and felt. The contact sound is also a bit thinner so I guess I'm getting a better brush on these balls. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to consistently reproduce this shot. I'd really like my FH loops to look more like this. Think it gives me a better feeling for the ball and a safer arc.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing differently in those shots? It looks like I'm rolling over on top of the ball more, and maybe my racket angle is closed more than usual. Are there any other cues I can use?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
Wanted to get some advice from the experts in this thread. The video below is me recently practicing some FHs. Wasn't really focused on consistency but trying out different ways of contacting the ball.

I especially liked the way 2 or 3 of the FHs I hit at around the 1:53 looked and felt. The contact sound is also a bit thinner so I guess I'm getting a better brush on these balls. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to consistently reproduce this shot. I'd really like my FH loops to look more like this. Think it gives me a better feeling for the ball and a safer arc.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing differently in those shots? It looks like I'm rolling over on top of the ball more, and maybe my racket angle is closed more than usual. Are there any other cues I can use?

I guess, more experienced players will give better advice, but from my point of view:
1. That around 1:53 your partner shots lands at comfortable area: you don't have to lean or pivot anywhere, they are just nice. In most of other situations you are getting one good ball, and then you have to move somewhere (which you sometimes do and sometimes don't), not sure whether it is done on purpose or not, but it affects your shots quality
2. It is hard to tell from this point of view, but it looks to me that your stance is wider on better shots
3. You are rotating your wrist clockwise at the end of the movement quite often. On those better shots you don't do this. I do this when I feel like I'm in a bad position or aftrad that ball will slip of my racket (like wet conditions or just in a bad shape) and won't get ball using usual motion. Also it might happen when you are trying to limit your power (it is hard to rotate wrist that way when you apply more force). Do you trust your equipment at that time or it is just uncoscious movement? Did you move to this setup from something slower and less spinny not long ago (or played with something slow and not very spinny for a very long period of time)?

Overall, I cannot tell that your shots quality is bad, actually it is quite good and getting better to the end of the video. So I suspect that you should just continue training and you'll get what you want.

Reactions: turbozed