During the ITTF Executive Committee meeting at the recent Harmony China Open a new voice was heard in the room. Yes, you heard it here. Vladimir Samsonov is the new chairman of the Athletes Commission. The Athletes Commision Group consists of evelven players who connect the athletes of the table tennis world to the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF).

meeting_06_09_11.jpg

Photo by Richard Pettit. left to right: Melecio Rivera (ITTF Executive Vice President), Chérif Hajem (ITTF Executive Vice President), Vladimir Samsonov (Chairman Athletes Commission), Thomas Weikert (ITTF Executive Vice President) and Anders Thunström (Managing Director TMS International)​

The eleven players involved in this group are Korea’s Joo Se Hyuk, Belgium’s Jean-Michel Saive, Hungary’s Krisztina Toth, Spain’s Alfredo Carneros, Australia’s William Henzell, Ashu Jain from the United States of America, Guatemala’s Jose-Miguel Ramirez, Nigeria’s Offiong Edem, China’s Wang Liqin and Slovakia’s Alena Kanova from Para Table Tennis.

Vladimir Samsonov is one of the most influential players of modern times and is the perfect man for this position! Samsonov quoted, This is a new role for me, it’s different. I have always been interested in representing players, I like to talk about the game, speak and meet people, find out what others think”.

Adham Sharara the ITTF President said the Athletes Commission has always been a very important integral part if the ITTF since its inception more than 20 years ago by then President Ogimura.
The Athletes Commission committee is now elected by players rather than the ITTF Federation.

vladimir_samsonov.jpg

Vladimir Samsonov competing in the Harmony China Open 2011. Photo by tabletennis.gr

The Athletes Commission Group will be used as a link for players to have their say and help make the final decisions with the ITTF. This can only improve our sport in the long run!
Adham Sharara said “Samsonov did very well in his first Executive meeting and participated in every discussion”

Vladimir Samsonov said we discussed a lot of different topics during the meeting. “At the meeting we touched on a wide range of topics from racket control, celluloid balls, world ranking system all the way through to the Olympic Games”, added Samsonov. “This meeting was the first step, it was an opportunity to present some of the players’ views and contribute directly to the discussions; it also provides an opportunity to report back to the players.”

Samsonov went on to say, “In order for us to be a success, we need to be seen as approachable by all players, our opinions need to be listened to and we need to be able to get results”, continued Samsonov. “However, we also realize that we need to understand both sides of the argument, we have to be open.”

The Athletes Commission has moved a step forward in allowing players to vote for their representatives. This is the first time ever that players have been able to vote for their representatives.

Source of article by: ITTF.com

--Share this article on your facebook page and other social networking sites to expand the word on Vladimir Samsonov’s new legacy---

TableTennisDaily Queston

So I ask everyone, will this improve table tennis as a whole? Linking players with the International Table Tennis Federation? Is Vladimir Samsonov the key to helping table tennis succeed as a sport?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I think this is a very good development for our sport. Sometimes it really doesn't hurt to add to the discussion from a practical point of view, and I think Samsonov is a very intelligent man who can represent the players.

says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
Sep 2011
Sir A great job its is a beginning of a new era in TT where a player gets an opportunity.