What’s NOT good with Rozena?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I tried Rozena about a year ago. There wasn't much speed or spin. It felt like a rubber that a beginner would use to develop technique. I agree with others that Rozena vs. Tenergy is like night and day. Rozena is a VW Beetle compared to Tenergy being like a Mercedes.
This may be true, but spin isn't everything. Some people will block with Tenergy and that might lose the same amount of points they gained from the spin of Tenergy had they blocked with Rozena. Not being like Tenergy isn't the end of the world and Rozena does have good spin.

This may be true, but spin isn't everything. Some people will block with Tenergy and that might lose the same amount of points they gained from the spin of Tenergy had they blocked with Rozena. Not being like Tenergy isn't the end of the world and Rozena does have good spin.
That’s not the point with Tenergy, you have be active there no way around that. Be active and it will reward you. However the short game sucks…

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I tried Rozena about a year ago. There wasn't much speed or spin. It felt like a rubber that a beginner would use to develop technique. I agree with others that Rozena vs. Tenergy is like night and day. Rozena is a VW Beetle compared to Tenergy being like a Mercedes.
My experience with Rozena is certainly not that it is short of spin - you may have to work a little harder for it but it’s there.

Reactions: FrenchFrog33
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
My experience with Rozena is certainly not that it is short of spin - you may have to work a little harder for it but it’s there.
I think with proper technique, any modern inverted rubber beyond premade quality can produce decent spin. How much "decent spin" is would be quite subjective and level-dependent.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think with proper technique, any modern inverted rubber beyond premade quality can produce decent spin. How much "decent spin" is would be quite subjective and level-dependent.
Agreed to an extent. There are tradeoffs people have to make. The thing is that I have seen USATT 2200 players play well with Rozena. As Lazer pointed out, Tenergy places demands on your passive play that many people who use it can't deliver on. For what Rozena does, it is a much better balance for people who want to learn to win points in many ways without feeling the pressure to be very athletic with their safe strokes as a trade off for getting good spin with their offensive balls. Rozena is definitely a modern offensive rubber, a powerlooping pro wouldn't put it on his forehand to overwhelm people but a good player with an all round game easily could because he doesn't win points only by looping. I know some people have tried that experiment with T05 (all round play), but it is definitely a different beast. It is no accident that Mizutani pushed for T64 and never really liked T05 though he did switch to 80 later.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
What's wrong with Rozena? Well you're paying a premium for the brand name for a rubber that performs worse than most of the performance ESN rubbers at the same prices or less. You can get similar lower performing(control oriented) rubbers from ESN for less and Chinese rubbers for even way less. The whole proposition of paying the big bucks for Butterfly is the performance that supposingly you can't get elsewhere but that is not true with Rozena and its low tier money grubbing ilk Aibiss.

I'm interested in seeing how Glayzer will turn out but after my experience with Rozena and Aibiss, I'm letting some other sucker spend their money first so I can try it before even thinking about ponying up money for it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
What's wrong with Rozena? Well you're paying a premium for the brand name for a rubber that performs worse than most of the performance ESN rubbers at the same prices or less. You can get similar lower performing(control oriented) rubbers from ESN for less and Chinese rubber for even way less. The whole proposition of paying the big bucks for Butterfly is the performance that supposingly you can't get elsewhere but that is not true with Rozena and it low tier money grubbing ilk Aibiss.

That's what I was wondering. From reading the descriptions of Rozena (linear, low catapult, does everything good enough) it sounds like the description of intro tensor rubber like Xiom Vega Intro or Nittaku Factive. How different is Rozena from these rubbers or even cheaper Chinese tension style rubbers like Palio AK-47 or Yinhe Moon Speed?

Reactions: hclnnkhg
Jan 2023
What's wrong with Rozena? Well you're paying a premium for the brand name for a rubber that performs worse than most of the performance ESN rubbers at the same prices or less. You can get similar lower performing(control oriented) rubbers from ESN for less and Chinese rubbers for even way less. The whole proposition of paying the big bucks for Butterfly is the performance that supposingly you can't get elsewhere but that is not true with Rozena and its low tier money grubbing ilk Aibiss.

I'm interested in seeing how Glayzer will turn out but after my experience with Rozena and Aibiss, I'm letting some other sucker spend their money first so I can try it before even thinking about ponying up money for it.
You forget the psychological boost people get when they are using Butterfly! You can't get that with Palio rubbers, where most of your club-mates just go "what is that?" :D

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014

US domestic pricing for Rozena is $40, I don't see how that is a "Butterfly premium" when you are getting a rubber that has better QC than Chinese manufacturers and better longevity than most ESN rubbers. TT11 allows you to purchase rubbers at ridiculously good prices, but looking strictly at buying within the US, I think Rozena has a fair cost

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Looks like BTY dropped the price of Rozena, It was not $40 when I bought it and I do get stuff from tt11. I'm not really sure Rozena has better longevity than most ESN rubbers of the same tier(control oriented). Since it has not been scientifically tested, it could very well be BTY owners are just putting it out there to justify spending the extra money for the brand even when it really doesn't matter to anyone else how they want to spend their table tennis dollars.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
US domestic pricing for Rozena is $40, I don't see how that is a "Butterfly premium" when you are getting a rubber that has better QC than Chinese manufacturers and better longevity than most ESN rubbers. TT11 allows you to purchase rubbers at ridiculously good prices, but looking strictly at buying within the US, I think Rozena has a fair cost
Yeah, to be fair, I know people who use cheap Chinese rubblers like Hurricane or commericial H3 and laugh at me using sticky ESN hybrids that cost way more. In the end, people should use whatever they feel happy playing with, the main point of Rozena is that people can trust the properties based on their prior experiences with Butterfly rubbers. And if people want to go deeper down the Butterfly rabbit hole, they dont have to adapt to the Spring sponge from scratch. And while I haven't used the spring sponge in a while and have gone a different route, I used to remember that the effect when you looped the ball hard was pretty consistent. While I like quite a few ESN rubbers, the fact that they produce so much similar stuff for different brands without clear advertising on what should suit a specific player dilutes the message

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I guess the answer to the OP depends on how high you set the bar for 'good'. Rozena users will probably say everything is good, otherwise we wouldn't be using it. There are 1,000,000 other choices. People who tried Rozena can really only say they didn't like it. Fair enough, if you didn't play well with it, blame the rubber. I totally blame the rubbers when I don't like bouncy ESN garbage like MX-P, or not-dynamic-at-all R47.

The basic fact of Rozena is that it has the Bty spring sponge, and it *feels* like spring sponge. But dialed down to the skill level of non-pro players. So if you like that feeling but don't want to play with (or pay for) tenergy, Rozena can be a very fun, pleasant choice.

To say people are paying some Bty premium to have bragging rights is ridiculous. Nobody brags about using Rozena for one thing. It's like holding a big sign that reads "I am an amateur." But more to the point, comparable ESN rubbers cost $5 - $10 *more* than rozena, and they feel like hot dogshit on the blade.

The only way to know how any rubber will play *for you* is to try it yourself. Asking other people gives you no real information of any value.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I guess the answer to the OP depends on how high you set the bar for 'good'. Rozena users will probably say everything is good, otherwise we wouldn't be using it. There are 1,000,000 other choices. People who tried Rozena can really only say they didn't like it. Fair enough, if you didn't play well with it, blame the rubber. I totally blame the rubbers when I don't like bouncy ESN garbage like MX-P, or not-dynamic-at-all R47.

The basic fact of Rozena is that it has the Bty spring sponge, and it *feels* like spring sponge. But dialed down to the skill level of non-pro players. So if you like that feeling but don't want to play with (or pay for) tenergy, Rozena can be a very fun, pleasant choice.

To say people are paying some Bty premium to have bragging rights is ridiculous. Nobody brags about using Rozena for one thing. It's like holding a big sign that reads "I am an amateur." But more to the point, comparable ESN rubbers cost $5 - $10 *more* than rozena, and they feel like hot dogshit on the blade.

The only way to know how any rubber will play *for you* is to try it yourself. Asking other people gives you no real information of any value.
G1 is cheaper than Rozena if you order at TT11. Just saying...

Reactions: Brs
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews

Each time I was up against someone using Rozena in my local leagues or practice matches (and including yourself that time you came to my club in St Albans!), it had never failed to surprise me just how loaded with spin their loops were.

IMO, Rozena is an extemely underappreciated rubber and offers one of the best performance/cost ratios for "non-pro" amateurs amongst pretty much all BTY/ESN offerings.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
G1 is cheaper than Rozena if you order at TT11. Just saying...
LOL, did you choose G1 cause you know I played with it for two years? Yes, G1 is a good ESN for me. It's a little bit false to compare because I trained a lot since using G1 and my game is very different on forehand now. But I would say Rozena has some better spin potential than G1, but G1 massively outclasses it for flat hitting. If I hit more on fh I might still choose G1. But I don't.

I was comparing price to the Evos, rasanters, and blue-whatevers of the world. I consider those competititors to rozena in performance. Obvs other people's mileage varies.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
LOL, did you choose G1 cause you know I played with it for two years? Yes, G1 is a good ESN for me. It's a little bit false to compare because I trained a lot since using G1 and my game is very different on forehand now. But I would say Rozena has some better spin potential than G1, but G1 massively outclasses it for flat hitting. If I hit more on fh I might still choose G1. But I don't.

I was comparing price to the Evos, rasanters, and blue-whatevers of the world. I consider those competititors to rozena in performance. Obvs other people's mileage varies.
Your list of competitors is interesting. I am sure there woud be some debate but for me, I remember a 2300 guy who visibly and notoriously got better spin from Andro Hexer than Tenergy 05. Anyone who doesnt give himself to adapt to a rubber and understand what the full picture is after trying a few adaptations shouldn't speak too strongly about it. Because you can sometimes hit shots with one runner that you can't hit with another but you never figured it out because you were focused on one shot.

(For full context, the 2300 guy later switched to T05H, with still good results).

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
The biggest fault with Rozena is that it's by Butterfly.

Ever since the price cut, Tieba threads like the one below pop up from time to time, and each time more and more people concur.

大家有没有发现rozena越来越好用了
Has anyone noticed that Rozena plays better and better now

In the limited experiment by Takkyu Labo, Rozena actually holds its own in bounce.

Reactions: Brs and NextLevel