What Blade To Choose?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Ah, I see, then could you give me some all wood blades that would really kick up with my play? thanks :)
That will be a good 5 ply blade like the timo boll w5 or stiga infinity vps v.
However,if you want the extra kick with speed,a 7ply blade like the timo boll w7 will do.I would reccomend the clipper,but since you are using it and it isn't working for you,try the rosewood 7.the rosewood xo is also a good option too

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
That will be a good 5 ply blade like the timo boll w5 or stiga infinity vps v.
However,if you want the extra kick with speed,a 7ply blade like the timo boll w7 will do.I would reccomend the clipper,but since you are using it and it isn't working for you,try the rosewood 7.the rosewood xo is also a good option too

ah. I see. Thanks :D.. yeah. it doesn't quite choose me for as it's user... and that's so sad for me :( I've been trying to try different kind of rubbers from chinese ones to europeans and I still can't cope up with the playing standards of clipper :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
By the way, you have this backwards but the guy who said ZLF had it right. A ZLC is really fast and does not have too much feeling because of the Carbon with the Zylon. They are rockets. Good blades for someone who can really use an Off+ blade. ZLF blades are a lot slower and have a lot of dwell time and the Zylon without the Carbon allows you to feel the ball almost like an all wood blade but with the added dwell time and spin from the Zylon.
Carl just explained further what I wanted to say. Anyway I bought my blade thanks to hs advice and I really appreciate it. The blade is not very fast I would say it is about off- or slow off. The great thing is control and dwell time. Blade is soft, so you can easily put hard sponge rubber for it or medium one not loosing control. Of course I am talking about Innerforce ZLF, I see Carl is using TB ZLF - there should be some difference.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And if your game is heavy spin, if you rely more on spin and placement than ripping the ball, what you want is a THIN, 5 ply, ALL WOOD blade with a lot of FLEX, not a blade with Carbon, not a blade with Arylate and Carbon, but a flexy all wood blade that allows you to spin the hell out of the ball. That is why most penhold players at the top levels use all wood blades.

The ones that really rely on pace use one ply Hinoki blades. The ones that rely more on spin use thinner blades.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl just explained further what I wanted to say. Anyway I bought my blade thanks to hs advice and I really appreciate it. The blade is not very fast I would say it is about off- or slow off. The great thing is control and dwell time. Blade is soft, so you can easily put hard sponge rubber for it or medium one not loosing control. Of course I am talking about Innerforce ZLF, I see Carl is using TB ZLF - there should be some difference.

Innerforce ZLF has gears. That is not a slow blade. I would rate it Off. It might be on the slower side of Off but it is more than Off-. One cool thing about the Innerforce ZLF having gears is: when you are doing touch shots, over the table, doing pushes, it has a ton of control and is not so fast, when you are looping at the table, it is a bit faster, and when you step back to mid-distance it has more power. That is a great blade and would actually be a good blade for TTjhonel04. It is soft enough that even though it is not super flexy you can really spin the ball.

It is amazing for blocking too. You have so much control on the Innerforce ZLF. That is a great blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
And if your game is heavy spin, if you rely more on spin and placement than ripping the ball, what you want is a THIN, 5 ply, ALL WOOD blade with a lot of FLEX, not a blade with Carbon, not a blade with Arylate and Carbon, but a flexy all wood blade that allows you to spin the hell out of the ball. That is why most penhold players at the top levels use all wood blades.

The ones that really rely on pace use one ply Hinoki blades. The ones that rely more on spin use thinner blades.

Ahhh.... Been learning alot in here and as far as I can remember most of the information's I got is from you.. hmmm... yeah I looove Heavy spins more than a tremendous speed play... and would be kind to suggest or recommend some blades for me to think about my choices?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Yasaka ma lin extra offensive(YEO) is a good 5 ply blade with flex.so is the avalox 500-used before by kong linghui,before being sponsored by butterfly.
Der-Echte's special is also a good setup,judging from the comments other people have made

never heard of avalox-500, better look at it at tabletennisdb. and what about Der-Echte's special? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Innerforce ZLF has gears. That is not a slow blade. I would rate it Off. It might be on the slower side of Off but it is more than Off-. One cool thing about the Innerforce ZLF having gears is: when you are doing touch shots, over the table, doing pushes, it has a ton of control and is not so fast, when you are looping at the table, it is a bit faster, and when you step back to mid-distance it has more power. That is a great blade and would actually be a good blade for TTjhonel04. It is soft enough that even though it is not super flexy you can really spin the ball.

It is amazing for blocking too. You have so much control on the Innerforce ZLF. That is a great blade.

Innerforce ZLF? well, if it's from you then I'll add it up in my list :))

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014

Innerforce ZLF? well, if it's from you then I'll add it up in my list :))

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
A good blade to consider is butterfly mizutani jun
His brand zero-ed on bty blades so..
Bty muzutani zlc (not super zlc) is a tad faster than alc more power average feel but if you dont develop yet that grazing type of spin you wont get that good result regarding heavy spin..

Zlf carries more dwell than zlc meaning you can really load that heavy spin at the same time while you develop your skill, while you develop your arm strength..

I personally like Carl would suggest zlf for you.. unless you want to try 5ply all wood whipping type of spin

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Iolite.. hmmm. will it be a good match for chinese rubbers?

As long as you boost I guess but thats with most chinese rubbers anyways. Rubbers like the hurricane 3 provincial can be played without boosting on an ALC blade, it will be slower (compared to not boosting but an alc blade should be fast enough to make it not useless) and you will have to put more effort into it but it is still very much playable and can still obtain great levels of spin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
As long as you boost I guess but thats with most chinese rubbers anyways. Rubbers like the hurricane 3 provincial can be played without boosting on an ALC blade, it will be slower (compared to not boosting but an alc blade should be fast enough to make it not useless) and you will have to put more effort into it but it is still very much playable and can still obtain great levels of spin

Well I'm not used to boosting rubbers and specially not even trying to boost one. haha... Well I guess that would be okay for me... Just add up some budget for the Hurricane 3 provincial rubber.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well I'm not used to boosting rubbers and specially not even trying to boost one. haha... Well I guess that would be okay for me... Just add up some budget for the Hurricane 3 provincial rubber.

The real question I would ask is: Why do you want to change setups anyway? What you are using is fine. I would just stick with that.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I agree with you here.the clippper is a great blade.

In NYC more pros use the Clipper than any other blade.

If it is about trying a bunch of those cool, fancy, expensive blades that have combinations of composite material in them, and you have a few thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket then, by all means, buy a bunch of them and see if you like any of them and which ones work best for you. If it is about really finding a blade that will be best for you then try out these blades:

Stiga Tube Allround
Avalox P-500
Nittaku Accustic
Nittaku Violin
Butterfly Kong Linghui

But you don't need to change blades. The one you have is an excellent blade.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By the way, when he was young, before he used a Timo Boll ALC, which is before DHS sponsored him and started making Ma Long blades, Ma Long used the Nittaku Accoustic.

He did not need to make any of those changes to his equipment. If you watch footage from when he is 16-17 and using the acoustic, his shots have more pace and power. hahaha. He probably should have stuck with it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I guess, one more thing, it could be a different thread: why don't you post some new footage of how your game is progressing and people will be able to give you ideas of things to work on to improve your technique. Last time you posted video, if I remember correctly, you were mostly filming forehand cross court drills with your father as training partner. Can you film some matches? Drills are good too, but matches would show how you put all the techniques together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mahomedy13
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
I guess, one more thing, it could be a different thread: why don't you post some new footage of how your game is progressing and people will be able to give you ideas of things to work on to improve your technique. Last time you posted video, if I remember correctly, you were mostly filming forehand cross court drills with your father as training partner. Can you film some matches? Drills are good too, but matches would show how you put all the techniques together.

Ahh, that wasn't me. hehe. but I'll try to film a video in my play while in training :)...