What do you think of Yuna Ojio's style?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

This girl just popped up on my YT feed. I was really surprised to see her. I saw her years ago as a little kid playing against Miwa Harimoto with her crazy grip. I never thought she would make it this far. I thought that eventually at the higher levels her strange grip would catch up to her. But here she is, at the finals of the youth championships. Although it is true that Harimoto did surpass her.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
She actually falls back on the shakehand grip and chops when she gets pushed back from the table or when things don't go her way.

Unlike the men's side which has a greater power difference between juniors and seniors, she will have an easier time with this grip as time goes by. The fact there are way more defensive players and combination players on the women's side shows there is still room for her style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Quite enjoyable to watch; I like her attacking spirit and also how she wears her heart on her sleeve when she misses.
Yes, she is fun to watch. I love to see unique styles like hers.

Her combination of great footwork, short pips fh, reading of serve, and perhaps her grip provides the stability to do this:

And her opponent's opening loops better be spinny enough or they crushed like this:

She beat her sister Haruna at one of the domestic tournaments and took Hirano to the 7th before losing 11-9 at Japan's Paris 2024 trial #4.

Jan 2018
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Big fan of both Ojio sisters. Haruna has one of the most aesthetically pleasing chopping styles I've seen. Hopefully she can find some more consistency with her attacking since it's a big weakness in her ability to compete at higher levels.

Yuna I first encountered when I was just getting interested in TT watching Adam Bobrows channel so I have a soft spot for all the athletes he interacted with on his channel, especially the kids that are now becoming pros.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
With the ease of shaping wood these days there really should be more TT grips. I'm thinking of something like a brass knuckle, with a blade face of course instead of knuckles. Middle, ring, and little fingers go in the rings, thumb and index finger on either side of the blade face. That could give really good stability and feel

This user has no status.
With the ease of shaping wood these days there really should be more TT grips. I'm thinking of something like a brass knuckle, with a blade face of course instead of knuckles. Middle, ring, and little fingers go in the rings, thumb and index finger on either side of the blade face. That could give really good stability and feel
I think I saw something like that before in TT shops. But I never actually seen someone play with it before...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Yuna's style actually reminds me a bit of Falck's. She crushes forehand with her pips, and spins well with her backhand. The backhand might allow her to produce some wicked spins that would be very effective and set up her forehand. It'll be fun to see her progress, and see if her grip catches on.