what happened in this match

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Yeah, I don't get it. If injury, play a point and default. Throwing the match like that is disrespectful to the game which is totally unexpected from NXL. Was there sports betting involved?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
You cannot be serious. This is not basement ping pong or hustling victims for money. This is WTT. There has to be some other reason why she was throwing away points like that

Xia Nian LI lost 2, 5 & 5

But I am also puzzled as to what exactly happened in this match & why she was doing that in the first game &wondered if she did the same in next two games ( I did not see the rest of the match but only saw the results. I checked YouTube & that match was not there............but has to be somewher)
Reminded me of 2016 Olympics I think, where doubles badminton teams were trying to throw their matches because China lost an earlier round & nobody wanted to be in the same half of China (who now ended up in opposite half due to their earlier qualifying group loss. This matches were lot more deliberate & sort of funny. I think teh officials stepped in and disqualified all the teams who did that. It was a big mess but was hilarious to watch
TB/MZ obviously didn't watch the match or is watching something else.
WTT is a direct KO
Badminton have groups stages, so you can loose and stay make it

XNL did "get the ball in" a bit more, but still purposely gave away points all 3 games and knocked out
I guess, she is still saving it for when it counts... on the way home maybe? lol

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
From what I got on Chinese Social Media. It seems like NXL got an injury and wanted to forfeit the match but WTT didn't allow her to, so she played like this in order to get it over with.
these were my thoughts exactly. One has contractual obligations, one can not just quit a match for any reason and an injury that makes it impossible to compete would have to be confirmed by a "tournament accredited quack ".

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
these were my thoughts exactly. One has contractual obligations, one can not just quit a match for any reason and an injury that makes it impossible to compete would have to be confirmed by a "tournament accredited quack ".
which brings me to the next question; why does she not get the tournament health officer to certify her injury to produce a medical cert for an official walk-over? It just does not add up...

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
which brings me to the next question; why does she not get the tournament health officer to certify her injury to produce a medical cert for an official walk-over? It just does not add up...
It is the same in the great international tennis tournaments, just because the player feels he/she should not compete or wants to stop competing , does not mean the quack will agree. If medical examination shows that the player can compete, admittedly with a kind of physical handicap, play will go on.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
You cannot be serious. This is not basement ping pong or hustling victims for money. This is WTT. There has to be some other reason why she was throwing away points like that

Xia Nian LI lost 2, 5 & 5

But I am also puzzled as to what exactly happened in this match & why she was doing that in the first game & I wondered if she did the same in next two games ( I did not see the rest of the match but only saw the results. I checked YouTube & that match was not there............but has to be somewhere)
Reminded me of 2016 Olympics I think, where doubles badminton teams were trying to throw their matches because China lost an earlier round & nobody wanted to be in the same half of China (who now ended up in opposite half due to their earlier qualifying group loss. This matches were lot more deliberate & sort of funny. I think the officials stepped in and disqualified all the teams who did that. It was a big mess but was hilarious to watch
I would guess more some Kind of mental blackout/acute depression rather than match fixing. If you want to throw a match for betting purposes you would be stupid to put in no effort at all, if you would try to hide it but would try to lose the sets 11-8 and maybe play normal rallies and miss the 4th ball and not the first.

I know match fixing due to betting has happened before but you would be really stupid to make it that obvious and put in no effort at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
i think something similar happened to Anders Lind. He wanted to pull out of a tournament due to a stomach bug, but the officials didn't let him, so he went through the motions. It was not as blatant as in this case.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
injury or illness withdrawal is allowed
whether before the match or during the match (and unfinished games will become 0-11)

so the reason of "not allowed to withdraw contractual" is nonsense and can't be the cause.
So other than she doesn't want to play or she is demonstrating something, I can't think of any other cause.

1701602493835.png

Reactions: JeffM and vvk1