What's wrong?

says Win by Spin!
says Win by Spin!
Aug 2022
Read 3 reviews
I have started playing with Rakza Z on both forehand and backhand.

On the forehand the rubber is a little over a month in age. The grip and tack is still there as far as I can feel and tell, but I still experience some slippage when I try to topspin. So far I have experienced even when the ball was not wet or there was no major humidity. I use a black one.
On the backhand I haven't noticed it so far.

My question is the following? It is possible that the rubber is getting worn-out already and this causes the slippage? Or is it only due to the lack of good hitting? Maybe something other?

I seem unable to find any probable explanation for the phenomenon.

Thanks!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
I have started playing with Rakza Z on both forehand and backhand.

On the forehand the rubber is a little over a month in age. The grip and tack is still there as far as I can feel and tell, but I still experience some slippage when I try to topspin. So far I have experienced even when the ball was not wet or there was no major humidity. I use a black one.
On the backhand I haven't noticed it so far.

My question is the following? It is possible that the rubber is getting worn-out already and this causes the slippage? Or is it only due to the lack of good hitting? Maybe something other?

I seem unable to find any probable explanation for the phenomenon.

Thanks!
It could be because of a bad batch.
But it is much more likely that with some rubbers the ball can fall into the net, not quite slippage as dead rubbers do. You'll notice it the most on forehand topspins that drop below the net.

The earlier you take the ball the less you notice this happening, so with backhand this happens less.

This user has no status.
Or is it only due to the lack of good hitting?
That would be my guess...

The reasoning is that 99.99% of the time, when there is a problem, it's nothing to do with the bat. (I'm not saying this in a aggressive way, just saying, try to resolve the problem by checking your technique / timing / contact)

says Win by Spin!
says Win by Spin!
Aug 2022
Read 3 reviews
This is what I'm thinking about too. Last time I had a match and had to step out to the backhand side to hit one with the forehand I hit it into the net and thought because I hadn't hit the ball well enough. Not so long after that I was hitting with one of my teammates and all the forehand loops travelled like bullets with good speed and spin. These balls were of course in training and not a match situation, so it made me think the one to blame was me.

Thanks for your input!

says Win by Spin!
says Win by Spin!
Aug 2022
Read 3 reviews
That would be my guess...

The reasoning is that 99.99% of the time, when there is a problem, it's nothing to do with the bat. (I'm not saying this in a aggressive way, just saying, try to resolve the problem by checking your technique / timing / contact)
This is what I'm thinking about too. Last time I had a match and had to step out to the backhand side to hit one with the forehand I hit it into the net and thought because I hadn't hit the ball well enough. Not so long after that I was hitting with one of my teammates and all the forehand loops travelled like bullets with good speed and spin. These balls were of course in training and not a match situation, so it made me think the one to blame was me.

Thanks for your input!

says Win by Spin!
says Win by Spin!
Aug 2022
Read 3 reviews
It could be because of a bad batch.
But it is much more likely that with some rubbers the ball can fall into the net, not quite slippage as dead rubbers do. You'll notice it the most on forehand topspins that drop below the net.

The earlier you take the ball the less you notice this happening, so with backhand this happens less.
You are right. I'll just try to think about is the lack of precise technique, as during training it was flawless, only in the match situation was it somewhat bad. During matches I tend to miss out on good technique.

Thanks for your input!

Reactions: Topspinslinger
says Win by Spin!
says Win by Spin!
Aug 2022
Read 3 reviews
It's a quite hard rubber. Sometimes it feels like the ball slips when the ball just doesn't penetrate the rubber enough.
Could be the case. I have started playing with it a month. Before that I was playing with Tenergy 19, which is considerably softer. Maybe a matter of getting used to.
More training and training is to be done!

Thanks for you input!

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I can say that, no...it's not about the rubber hardness because I have played with different hardnesses and still same thing.
I have no humidity where I play.. I tried so many different blade, rubbers, glue, methods of glueing.. and same same thing.. After 2-3 weeks, Ball slippage is happening. Sometimes it's more minor that Ball still goes forward but in the net..and sometimes it literally falls down like I would use a 10 years old rubber or glass instead of rubber... it's super annoying and hilarious

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
ya i think its a combination of factors, one of which is that since rakza z requires such a closed angle vs topspin that it is easy for the ball to slip off (also plenty of edge balls)... i have noticed humidity causing me issues or if rubber is not very clean... yes also the hardness causing differences in how ball reacts to rubber depending on sponge engagement... not giving up on it yet though because i think it will work out for my style and maybe one day back to D09c once my control is better.

says Aging is a killer
Different things to try in no particular order
  • At home, try spinning up the ball and catching it on the blade. Any bad spots will show up
  • Reglue the rubber
  • Give some top spin multiball to a player. This will help to tune your subconscious to be relaxed when topspinning. Notice that coaches tend to have relaxed fh drives and loops
  • Have a look at Timo Boll's video on topspin. That is, the part about tightening the core on impact.
  • Develop the habit of flexing of your shoulder and wrist between points during practice and match play
  • Compare flexibility of left to right shoulders/wrist. Like most players eventually, you may have onset of joint issues on your playing side. Joint issues, even insignificant ones affects your stroke timing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Read 1 reviews
Apart from technical issues, humidity can sometimes be a problem. I've encountered this with my tacky rubbers (Rakza Z and H3) as well. At the beginning of a match, everything seems fine. However, as the match progresses, perhaps due to my body sweating a lot or an increase in humidity in the venue, the rubbers can become slightly wet.

When this happens, wiping the rubbers on my shirt only makes it worse. During breaks between sets, I try to dry them with a towel. I've noticed that some professionals also do the same, even during towel breaks.

However, there are times when I experience slippage, and upon inspecting the rubbers, they appear to be perfectly fine. In these instances, I realize that the issue lies more with timing, placement, angle and my stroke technique rather than the condition of the rubbers.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
During breaks between sets, I try to dry them with a towel. I've noticed that some professionals also do the same, even during towel breaks.
Interesting. I always thought that MaLong was using the towel on his rubbers to get rid of too much stickiness.

But then again, I also assumed that people that wear a toweling wrist band were using it to wipe the sweat of their eyebrows then I was told that they use it to prevent sweat from their arm to dribble on to the hand and the blade.
Ahhh, I am such an ignoramus. 😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Read 1 reviews
Interesting. I always thought that MaLong was using the towel on his rubbers to get rid of too much stickiness.

But then again, I also assumed that people that wear a toweling wrist band were using it to wipe the sweat of their eyebrows then I was told that they use it to prevent sweat from their arm to dribble on to the hand and the blade.
Ahhh, I am such an ignoramus. 😂

Also I think, towel bands keeps sweat away from eyes or hand.
But I might be also wrong about toweling racket, the motion seemed to me is looked like drying. I guess after they are wiping with their hands (most likely wet) then drying with towel.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
but he is not actually wiping the rubbers he is kinda "tapping " them with the towel and this leaves the rubbers like shown in the picture
IMG20231102124711.jpg