When is a hand considered large?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
I am comfortable with classic Stiga ST grip, but at what size is it best to use, lets say, large version of Nittaku blades?

I took some pictures of my hand besides an Avalox P500. I think it has the same blade shape as Viscaria, and I know it is exactly the same as Stiga Offensive Classic.

111.jpg

222.jpg

333.jpg

444.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
There is NO normal, we are all individuals.
I got small hands but still measure in at 18cm
Yet, some handles are considered large and some are not. We live in a world where more and more of buying stuff is going online. Here in Norway, the only store that I know exist that sell table tennis equipment is now also going online. Some quantifiable measures would be helpful in order to know what best suits you when you cant go to a physical location and hold the blade yourself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I have large hands, but I prefer using handles that most people find too small or too flat and to use grip tape. But how I hold the racket nowadays is more similar to how Persson/Karaksevic/Moregardh/Bengsston hold/held it. Some people play shake hand with penhold rackets, and it isn't because they have small fingers. People just get good at using something with practice, enjoy it and continue doing it.

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
So, I have 20 cm from the wrist to the longest finger. Is this far from the norm or is it normal?
My hands are about the same size (length) and I do have a problem with finding handles that does not feel to small. Most are to thin and almost all are too short. Seems like a trend to stop producing the relatively bigger handles as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Well, you can always get used to a blades playing characteristics but if you don't like grip tape you have no way of fixing a small handle. Unless you are a master carpenter. Or can afford one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Well, you can always get used to a blades playing characteristics but if you don't like grip tape you have no way of fixing a small handle. Unless you are a master carpenter. Or can afford one.
Thanks for the reply. I notice the Stiga Offensive Classic ST handle slip a little when my hands get sweaty, and/or I apply too much pressure with my thumb/index finger in repeated strokes in drills and such -- it makes the grip slowly change because it rotates in my hand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Thanks for the reply. I notice the Stiga Offensive Classic ST handle slip a little when my hands get sweaty, and/or I apply too much pressure with my thumb/index finger in repeated strokes in drills and such -- it makes the grip slowly change because it rotates in my hand.
The sad thing is that the Stiga handles have gotten smaller over the years and they even stopped producing the large flared one. Ten years ago they had a conical, Champ, that worked really well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
The sad thing is that the Stiga handles have gotten smaller over the years and they even stopped producing the large flared one. Ten years ago they had a conical, Champ, that worked really well.
I have bought a blade that is truly classic, the Avalox P500 which is said to have its production in the original Stiga factory, and its ST grip is larger than the Stiga Classic ST because its more rounded.

20230503_185829.jpg

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Stiga also used to produce more straight handle styles, originally they had the Bengtsson style which was large, then they had the Peter style for Peter Karlsson which I believe was a bit skinnier than the Bengtsson, and now they just have the Classic which is smaller than the Peter.