Why #19 is illegal?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
I watched a nice video (attached) describing what's legal and what's not in table tennis. I am just wondering why #19 is considered illegal? Toss is high and vertical, ball is not hidden, the only thing is that the player changes from forehand serve to backhand serve.

So what is illegal about it?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I watched a nice video (attached) describing what's legal and what's not in table tennis. I am just wondering why #19 is considered illegal? Toss is high and vertical, ball is not hidden, the only thing is that the player changes from forehand serve to backhand serve.

So what is illegal about it?
Tossing hand/ball and contact is inside the table

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I've always wondered...

Would it be legal to glue a small bit of rubber to the bottom of your racket handle for those handle butt shots (e.g. #22 in the video). IIIRC, I think one of the TTD guys tries these shots often.
with the same logic but for an other idea, the answer is no
since only 2 sides are permitted
that would then be the 3rd side

but then again, the other rule that allows anything on the playing arm to be legal would allow it.

But of the rule that says its illegal and the one says its legal, my international referee contact believes should such an issue be raised at the technical committe, the result should be the shot is illegal and the handbook updated accordingly.

Reactions: turbozed
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
# 19 Absolutely illicit serve. Ball struck while being inside the end line, tossing action started inside the end line.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Joke? Or real question?

In # 3, in the shot in question, did the ball bounce on the table?
first view, I thought it was just a normal ball bounce high (lousy camera angle to be blamed)

only 3rd view, did I notice the ball didn't bounce

Its one of those click bait videos, strategy is to get more minute views and more talking around it.
Since it doesn't give the answer, it is not an educational video but a sales video

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
A bit of a teaser for umpire. Which rule does meet the case best? Could you name the proper rule to apply? Waiting for an answer. 🕦 📖 🔎 🔦 🔐 ⚖️

Last edited: