World Cup 2024

This user has no status.
Tbh I always felt that WCQ always relied on his hidden serves and once someone really deciphers them, he is nowhere as strong as Ma Long, Zhang Jike or Fan Zhendong in terms of technical ability. He also tends to hit very flat trajectories which are always a liability in big matches. All the past great champions have huge amounts of arc in their shot to ensure max safety during crucial moments.

But it's an interesting period for sure because Fan Zhendong seems to be a bit lost even when he is having the most advanced topspin technique in the world, and Ma Long's body condition is always a question mark.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Not yet.

she needs a couple of 400+ points tournaments, and she can be a solid 2000 pointer player, putting her at WR6~8
she just needs to put those skills into more wins at correct tournaments (ie world teams champ performance was useless with 122 points after reaching the final, while SF in contender is worth more)

With her being young, hopefully she can get into top 8 before Paris
She could touch Top 5 this year if she gets into finals of contenders/star contenders or far into champions/smash more regularly. That would require beating top 5 and 10 players more regularly too, and that how one can say she is a top 5. Winning these top players at critical time.
I'm not sure what the ranking points allocation for this tournament is, if any.

View attachment 29477
Making SF at World Cup is worth 525 points ( Ranking regulations page 7 ). Subtract current low of 105 pts for a net gain of 420 pts. Add 420 to her current 1327 yields her 1747 pts which puts Miwa at WR#8 just behind SYB.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Making SF at World Cup is worth 525 points ( Ranking regulations page 7 ). Subtract current low of 105 pts for a net gain of 420 pts. Add 420 to her current 1327 yields her 1747 pts which puts Miwa at WR#8 just behind SYB.
thanks, used to have time to go check these things out.
it does seem like Diaz will just fall short at 1710 pts.

so 1 x 400+ point achieved,
she would need a few to hit 3000+ to cement top 5, or 2000 to be 6~8.
problem is that, this is only for "12 months", so she needs to make sure the growth is all together, and not scattered, otherwise her high points will just replace her high points and not really collectively added together.

Reactions: shmek
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Ma Long... wow.
Ma Long has just given us all a masterclass on how to play left-handers. This will be a classic match studied by everyone. Had I been a TT left-hander, I'd be reconsidering my chosen sport :) Awesome performance from the GOAT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
thanks, used to have time to go check these things out.
it does seem like Diaz will just fall short at 1710 pts.

so 1 x 400+ point achieved,
she would need a few to hit 3000+ to cement top 5, or 2000 to be 6~8.
problem is that, this is only for "12 months", so she needs to make sure the growth is all together, and not scattered, otherwise her high points will just replace her high points and not really collectively added together.
Oh, I just meant skills-wise and especially consistency-wise. Sorry for not making myself clear enough.
Anyways, thanks both of you for the analyses!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Oh, I just meant skills-wise and especially consistency-wise. Sorry for not making myself clear enough.
well, theoretically the answer is yes, but Miwa need to apply it in 2024.
She hasn't really done it consistently enough for top 5, but yes for top 10.

3000 points is the goal, and out of 8 attempts (avg 375 per event).
So if she can get many 400+, she would be there, and then have the "seed" to not meet CNT too early.

Because she isn't there yet, she is meeting CNT very early, hence the earlier exits.
Guys like z will retire a player (especially Japanese female players) when they loose a bit too much against CNT players,

while guys like Chuang Chih Yuan - said something like this when he was world no 3:
No matter what Chinese provincial or national player he encounters, it will always be a very tough match. There will never be easy wins.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
What happened here? ML suddenly became a BH counter-hit magician, just like all those other elite players who move right across to cover most of the table with their BH, a bit of a transformation from his style as a dominant FH attacker. Was WCQ simply out of sorts, below par? I think we'll see in the final if ML has really reached the peak of the game again. He put in a massive effort here and will need to recover. Anyway, it was a fabulous performance!

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
What happened here? ML suddenly became a BH counter-hit magician, just like all those other elite players who move right across to cover most of the table with their BH, a bit of a transformation from his style as a dominant FH attacker. Was WCQ simply out of sorts, below par? I think we'll see in the final if ML has really reached the peak of the game again. He put in a massive effort here and will need to recover. Anyway, it was a fabulous performance!
I feel like ML just decided to throw caution to the wind and try a completely different style to his usual have. WCQ seemed to have figured out his usual style and ML just couldn't beat him. I did wonder, though, whether ML called ZJK the night before for some backhand tips!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
SYS, WMY, and CM are solid 1,2, and 3. Miwa's close, but CXT's results are pretty consistent (and even includes a win over WMY at the 2023 World Championship), and Hayata has dominated her. But just being where she's at is really amazing at 15 years old.