Who do you think will win the World Championships?

• Ma Long

Votes: 65 37.6%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 67 38.7%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Wong Chun Ting

• Timo Boll

• Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
Did anyone see how Tokic threw his racket to the side when he lost the match? I couldn't see if any cards were given for that, but I would hate to be the refs for that match. Imagine getting hit by it!

He received his second yellow-red card for that. Really stupid move by Tokic.

Question about those cards.
If I am not mistaken you get a yellow card for a first offence, no score penalty. Second offence is a first yellow-red card and a point for the opponent, third offence is a second yellow-red card and another point for the opponent. Is that correct? What comes after that?

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
It is annoying, as I've already said but I would argue that he doesn't intend to be disrespectful and that you are reading this into his behaviour. As far as I'm aware multiple top players, coaches and a Japanese woman I play with find him very respectful. There's a game he plays where his opponent has no chance - here he doesn't cho, perhaps because he doesn't need to. But he also wanted to throw a point as he didn't want to win 11 - 0 and failed to. You can tell he doesn't mean disrespect even though his choing might imply this.

Anyway, I give in. Was just trying to provide an objective account for his behaviour :), seems like it upsets people a lot. Just a matter of opinion really, but in my opinion, he doesn't intend disrespect however awful you find his choing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Mizutani was slow and sluggish. May be training with Vladi and Dima made his game more European. I am sure LGY or XX will crush this little choing monster. But either way Japanese fans need to rejoice. They might just have a winner 5-6 years down the lane. I too have nothing against his choing. If you are a pro these things should not matter to you.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
It is annoying, as I've already said but I would argue that he doesn't intend to be disrespectful and that you are reading this into his behaviour. As far as I'm aware multiple top players, coaches and a Japanese woman I play with find him very respectful. There's a game he plays where his opponent has no chance - here he doesn't cho, perhaps because he doesn't need to. But he also wanted to throw a point as he didn't want to win 11 - 0 and failed to. You can tell he doesn't mean disrespect even though his choing might imply this.

Anyway, I give in. Was just trying to provide an objective account for his behaviour :), seems like it upsets people a lot. Just a matter of opinion really, but in my opinion, he doesn't intend disrespect however awful you find his choing.

To me, intent doesn't matter much at all - the end result does. Intent, or lack of, is just an excuse for poor behaviour. And how respectful he is to other players when off the table, coaches, his grandmother, the pope, doesn't matter much to me either. He shows low respect for his opponent, and the spirit of the sport and fair play, via his behaviour, not his thought process, when he does what he does.

Harimoto apologetics. This is where we are now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

I was talking about the overall spectacle and choing all the time is annoying for a spectator, I also dont think he is disrespectful, besides its a matter of principles/personal values, some players would probably think that annoying your opponent with excessive cho's or delaying the serve/receive is a strategy without disrespecting anyone, others would just find it pointless and disrespectful because it does not evolve in game strategy and its pure insult , regardless the result

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
:p

Exaggerated shouting/celebration is the reason I don't like Harimoto (Adrien Mattenet would be another example of unsportsmanlike celebrating).

But in this one match against Mizutani, I did not find his shouting exaggerated. This is WTTC, he wants to win and he is letting his emotions out. Probably helps to release pressure, focus into the next point, and to keep his motivation up throughout the whole match.

Ryu Seung-Min also shouted a lot at the 2004 Olympic games, and I can watch those matches without being annoyed in the slightest. He's here at the table and he is there to kill you... all within the rules of table tennis and fairplay.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
To me, intent doesn't matter much at all - the end result does. Intent, or lack of, is just an excuse for poor behaviour. And how respectful he is to other players when off the table, coaches, his grandmother, the pope, doesn't matter much to me either. He shows low respect for his opponent, and the spirit of the sport and fair play, via his behaviour, not his thought process, when he does what he does.

Harimoto apologetics. This is where we are now.

Apologetics? No, it's seeing things for what they are. If you read my posts you ought to realize I'm not justifying his behaviour. Just showing to you that there are plenty of other things that he does which people regard as respectful. And his skill can be appreciated despite this, especially as he's still a kid and doesn't intend to disrespect. But fair enough, I see your point of view. That last sentence was uncalled for though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
harimoto is the new zjk in choing ...... let's see if he can have a performance like him too . i'm so interested to see how far he goes in WTTC
Interesting that he also played like ZJK . Solid backhands and taking the ball extremely early. And nerves of steel . Showed no fear !!! Yeah I know he is a Chinese by birth by the way .....!!!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Read 3 reviews
Can everyone stop wining in every video of Harimoto about his choing? And now even in this forum? I think the discussions about this are more annoying than the actual choing. He is 13 years old and is learned to do it (and it is part of modern table tennis). With age this will reduce and never ever hava i seen an opponent being onnoyed by it, nly the keyboard warriors.

On the match itself: harimoto was great. Mizutani was afraid to play his game. He didn't want to lose against a 13 year old of his country...

But with such a backhand against lefthanders, maybe he can upset a chinese! If you can win mizutani now, you can also win Lin or XX. Harimoto always believes in himself, even against the very best. This is amazing. He won't go into a game against a chinese and think he will lose, he will go for it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Apologetics? No, it's seeing things for what they are. If you read my posts you ought to realize I'm not justifying his behaviour. Just showing to you that there are plenty of other things that he does which people regard as respectful. And his skill can be appreciated despite this, especially as he's still a kid and doesn't intend to disrespect. But fair enough, I see your point of view. That last sentence was uncalled for though.

I'll explain why I said that. What you're doing is trying to play this behaviour down. I can appreciate his skill, just like you, but any amazing wins he takes home by applying his skill will be soured due to his choing. I think it's a real shame that one of the JNT's major sources of potential behaves in this way.

Why does it matter if he's respectful in other ways? I don't want to see a documentary on his life - I want to see TT played in good spirit with good sportsmanship, without contrived annoyances.

If you're not trying to justify his behavior, why are you trying to say that he doesn't intend to do it? He obviously DOES intend to shout and scream, or he wouldn't do it. It's not a natural response - it's trained. I could accept an argument that it's the coaching system, or whoever has trained this into him, at fault if you could demonstrate that to be the case. But how nice you are to the shopkeeper on your way to the stadium doesn't mean you can behave like an idiot once you get there.

The reason why I take issue with your, well, whatever you're doing (let's face it, if you're not trying to justify it, or explain it away, then I don't know what you're doing) is that I think it's important for this not to become the norm. If harimoto's approach is successful, we will see the same thing adopted wholesale during junior coaching. I don't think it should be encouraged, and I don't think explaining it away via some "aw, he's a nice kid really" wash is good enough. All you're doing is leaving the door open for other juniors to behave in the same way, so long as they behave with respect when away from the table. This is not good enough. I don't care how harimoto doesn't kick his cat when he gets home - I care about what he does when he's playing.

I also see things for what they are. This kid is annoying, and it would be great if he stopped it (and still continued to be awesome at TT, and respectful in all aspects of his life). if not, it would be great if we at least tried to discourage it to prevent it becoming the accepted norm.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Women's Singles - Round of 16

02 JUNE - TIME: TBD

DING Ning CHN vs LI Jie NED

SAMARA Elizabeta ROU vs ISHIKAWA Kasumi JPN

HIRANO Miu JPN vs XIAO Maria ESP

SILBEREISEN Kristin GER vs FENG Tianwei SGP

ZHU Yuling CHN vs ITO Mima JPN

MONTEIRO DODEAN Daniela ROU vs CHEN Meng CHN

MU Zi CHN vs KATO Miyu JPN

KIM Song I PRK vs LIU Shiwen CHN

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Can everyone stop wining in every video of Harimoto about his choing? And now even in this forum? I think the discussions about this are more annoying than the actual choing. He is 13 years old and is learned to do it (and it is part of modern table tennis). With age this will reduce and never ever hava i seen an opponent being onnoyed by it, nly the keyboard warriors.

I'm glad it doesn't bother you, but you don't get to police what people discuss.

What he does isn't part of modern TT, and hopefully won't end up being so.